Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why Can't They Be Happy For Us

Why Can't They Be Happy For Us

Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why Can't They Be Happy For Us

I think sometimes that family gives us a tough time because they see decisions to emmigrate as a rejection of them - and the country that they did ok in!

By that I mean that it doesn't matter how many times you tell them that you are moving for the opportunities in Canada (whether job, house or for the kids etc) and that you are making the decision for those reasons alone, what they actually "hear" is that you want to get away from them and their way of living

In some ways they are choosing to be the victim - I don't know whether this is a defense mechanism, putting their head in the sand in the hope that it will go away, or being just plain pains in the butt.

But whatever the reason, try to see it as their problem. Perhaps make a final statement of the reasons you are going (I actually think writing in down is a good idea - because it can't degenerate into a slanging match), ensuring that you put down that you still love them (the move is nothing to do with getting away from them!) and would be thrilled to see them in Canada for visits, that you will keep in touch, give them the options to keep in touch with you (email, phone calls, video, webcam etc etc ie keep the door open to them) - but that you are going (give them a date if you know) - end of story - no longer up for debate. Then stick to it. Refuse to have further conversations about it unless they are genuinely interested in your plans and will not criticise.

You cannot make them understand if they choose not to - and you cannot make them be excited for you - it doesn't matter what you say. It's a real shame if they don't come round in time to see you off - or they ruin the remaining time you have left with them here (especially if they are like it with the grandkids too - as my mother was ) but that is their choice.

I know this appears harsh but their actions towards you are equally harsh (if not worse) and you have enough to worry about at present without them adding to it.

Good luck - I hope it resolves itself before you leave.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Good lord - 51 and 46 years old!!! The way you talked I thought they were in their 80s!! They should get a life - sorry, but being scared to go on a plane at 51 years old! My Mom is 92 and she would come here for a holiday if she could. Well, she probably could if she was accompanied the whole way here and back.

I don't know why some families do that. They don't have a life themselves and they are scared of their own shadows probably and they don't like it when someone else has a good idea. I'm surprised they even have such a radical thing as a computer!

As someone said - they can get a webcam and a microphone or they can act their age and get on a darn plane and come and see you. I have a friend whose mother was like that - wouldn't speak to her for months. My friend just went on making her plans and now her mother has at least accepted it. You just have to go on with what you are doing. The only person you can control is yourself.
My parents are not scared to get on a plane, I think lyndons parents are.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Karla, when we told my parents we were applying to emigrate they said they were were shocked but understood our decision. My sister emigrated to Canada in 1988 and they could see the good life she has. On the other hand both their children could now be living abroad. As our application went further down the line though my mum would say that she would miss us, would prefer us not to go etc while my dad would say that he couldn't blame us and could see the advantages while at the same time made sniping comments. We were one of the families filmed for "The Emigrate Challenge" DVD and what was interesting was that when we filmed a scene where we spoke as a family about our emigration and what my parents thought, my mum was willing to participate and spoke freely on her thoughts, whereas my dad refused to do it, actually left the house while we filmed and didn't want to be involved once in the DVD. Our wanting to emigrate caused a few heated exchanges throughout the application but when we finally received our visas and called them to tell them their responses changed. They were more supportive, helped us out getting ready to move and overall became pleased for us. It was as though they thought that now it is real not just a possibility. We have been here now 3 years and they have visited us twice and have now applied to emigrate themselves. They can see the benefits for us and the better standard of living we have here and the greater opprtunities for our children.
I have had one moment of guilt where 18 months after emigrating my dad was diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer. He had surgery to remove the prostrate and is now clear but it was the fact that I no longer lived 15 minutes away to go and see him.
On a slightly different note we had lots of friends who knew we were emigrating and we are still in contact with most of them. The funny thing is our closest friends are the ones who have distanced themselves the most because we left them behind and moved on.
I hope that things work out for you and good luck!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Thank you all for your advice and I just hope that my parents do come round.

I'll let you know what happens in the near future.

Karla x x x x
Old Jun 9th 2007, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that being afraid of flying is actually a phobia. Lots of people are scared of things. I used to be scared of going up a ladder. Then one day I needed to go up a ladder for some reason. I made myself go up. Once I got to the top of the ladder and did what I needed to do, I discovered that it wasn't as scary as I had thought it was. Now, it doesn't bother me.

There are lots of things like that - I was leery of using a chainsaw and a hedge clipper. But I figured that if other people could do these things, then so could I.
Old Jun 9th 2007, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

DestinationBC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Karla!

I hope things sort themselves out soon for you - these things normally do. Some people have such difficulty with change - I love change and embrace it- and I know it drives some other people crazy.

My mum would have been the same had it not been for the fact that my parents up and left and emigrated and my mum's dad did not speak to her for ages after they announced they were leaving. I know that my mum is screaming inside wanting us not to go but knows that it is our life to live.

What I fiind interesting is that it is usually the woman's family who gives the most grief. I wonder why that is??!!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by karla03
Every thing was going great this morning. I've done the washing, ironing and cleaning and I was just about to bath the kids when..........................My Father came round and told me that my Mother was depressed and was not getting out of bed today.

This has been going on ever since we said we were moving to Canada. They keep saying "if you go" and its driving me mad. They don't ask how its going, they hate looking at our photographs of Canada and now there telling me that they won't come to visit as they can't afford it as they have helped (well paid) my sister move into her own place. BLOODY HELL PARENTS:curse:.

Since Feb they have called me, screamed at me and now they are trying the guilt thing. I know they will miss us, especially my 3 young children, but I have to do whats right for my family and staying in the UK is not the option. Deep down I know my Father wants us to have a better life but my Mother wants me to stay and be misrable - which I am not willing to do.

I left home at 16 to Join the Army. I was married at 20 so it's not like I've been tied to the apron strings - unlike my sister. I have spent many 6 months away on operational tours and they never bothered her, even when I lived down south that never bothered her. I now live 5 minutes away and I see her once every 4-5 weeks and she hardley ever babysits for my children (once a year). So why bother now........................

I know nearly all of you have gone through things like this, but what can I do to make my Mother feel better and try to make her understand. My husband and I are moving in March and we are NOT changing our minds, not for anyone. It may sound awful but my parents are not going to be around forever and I don't want to live my life for them.

Any advice would be great

Karla x x x x
Try and put yourself in your Mum's position and ask yourself how you might feel if your child decided to move back to the UK with your only grandchildren one day?

I'm not defending your Mum's behaviour but surely you can't be surprised that she isn't taking the news well?
Old Jun 9th 2007, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

Please don't hate me for saying this but maybe you should be thankful that you're loved and cherished so much that you family don't want to be without you.

I don't have a mum and my family is not close at all. However, if it was my son emmigrating i'd like to think that i could be supportive and wish them all the very best luck in the world (oh and free holidays to Canada - woo hoo!!!)

PS: you can all swear at me now

PPS; All the very best luck in the world to you all
Old Jun 9th 2007, 7:53 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Batfink -I think you are to be applauded for having the courage to say this. My Mums only sister also said this to me, that it was because I was such a nice person that everyone was going to miss me and wouldnt it be worse if she couldnt wait to see the back of me. This sort of put things in perspective for me and has made me look on it from her point of view more. Although it is very difficult not to react to some of the things she says which are very hurtful and not true.

Originally Posted by Batfink
Please don't hate me for saying this but maybe you should be thankful that you're loved and cherished so much that you family don't want to be without you.

I don't have a mum and my family is not close at all. However, if it was my son emmigrating i'd like to think that i could be supportive and wish them all the very best luck in the world (oh and free holidays to Canada - woo hoo!!!)

PS: you can all swear at me now

PPS; All the very best luck in the world to you all
Old Jun 9th 2007, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

The big difference for me is, i would not want to be hurtful to anyone, let alone a member of my own family. That said, it's easy for me to say that, when emotions run high there's little you can do to stop them. Read between the lines - when they say you're being selfish, why are you going blah blah blah what they really mean is i love you and i'll miss you!!!

I was so worried that people were going to hate me for being blunt
Old Jun 9th 2007, 8:21 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batfink
The big difference for me is, i would not want to be hurtful to anyone, let alone a member of my own family. That said, it's easy for me to say that, when emotions run high there's little you can do to stop them. Read between the lines - when they say you're being selfish, why are you going blah blah blah what they really mean is i love you and i'll miss you!!!

I was so worried that people were going to hate me for being blunt
I don't think most people would come down on you for what you said BF, but it doesn't change the fact that it is the "reactors" who have the problem, and only THEY can do something about it.

What if one gave in to the emotional blackmail, cancelled plans to go etc?

That would most likely sour a relationship forever anyway (as we have seen with certain other posters here already). Cos then you have the Hurt that the original hurting person feels re the perceived original rejection, together with the knowledge that they have probably held their loved one back in their future, so throw in a handful of guilt there.

Then the would-be emigrant is likely to have (at least from time to time) regrets over what they gave up, so the possibility of resentment from that end too.

It's a recipe for unhappiness IMHO. Sorry that was not the most fluent post I've ever made on here, but I can't today think of a better way to express it!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

I do understand that sour grapes can ruin a relationship and i'm so glad i'm not in that situation, but at the end of the day someone has to be the bigger person and swallow the pride, hurt etc.

Again, i'd like to stress big love and happy thoughts to all!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DestinationBC

What I fiind interesting is that it is usually the woman's family who gives the most grief. I wonder why that is??!!
Grandchildren...
Old Jun 9th 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Kabel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I doubt that being afraid of flying is actually a phobia. Lots of people are scared of things. I used to be scared of going up a ladder. Then one day I needed to go up a ladder for some reason. I made myself go up. Once I got to the top of the ladder and did what I needed to do, I discovered that it wasn't as scary as I had thought it was. Now, it doesn't bother me.

There are lots of things like that - I was leery of using a chainsaw and a hedge clipper. But I figured that if other people could do these things, then so could I.
aviatophobia or aviophobia - fear of air travel.

I don't think you can really belittle someone's fear just because you think that they should have confronted them or grown out of them.

Kabel
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:07 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

There is a difference between a fear and a phobia. A fear can make you unhappy about doing something but still able to see it through. A phobia is quite crippling and if left untreated can generalise until it makes you unable to do a lot of other things as well.

Sorry for going off topic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.