Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why is Canadian Dollar going higher & higher ???

Why is Canadian Dollar going higher & higher ???

Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Raska will become famous soon enoughRaska will become famous soon enough
Default Why is Canadian Dollar going higher & higher ???

I dont know what happened that Canadian dollar jumped so high like this. :scared: It's been about some months I have been waiting to see it coming down, so that i can exchange my funds into CAD, but still it's on it's way to the top.

Any body has any idea on this? Do you think it may come down in a near future?

Last edited by Raska; Nov 6th 2004 at 11:06 am.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:19 am
long hard slog...done it

SpeC will become famous soon enoughSpeC will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why is Canadian Dollar going higher & higher ???

Originally Posted by Raska
I dont know what happened that Canadian dollar jumped so high like this. :scared: It's been about some months I have been waiting to see it coming down, so that i can exchange my funds into CAD, but still it's on it's way to the top.

Why would you want it to come down ? the higher it is the more money you will get.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:20 am
Glaswegian

Depends what George Dubbya does next ... parity would be nice :-)

Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:27 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpeC
Why would you want it to come down ? the higher it is the more money you will get.
Nu-uh...if the Canadian dollar is strong, we get less for our pounds!
This spring when we visited we got nearly $2.5 to the pound, now it is about $2.25

I believe there are seasonal fluctuations though, if you watch it for a few years..... it seems to go higher in the sping/early summer and then drop as the year goes on...lets hope it climbs again for next year when we shall want to be buying dollars!!

Morw
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:28 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

The US dollar is weak because of its high budget and trade deficits. Canadian interest rates are increasing - which makes foreigners want to hold C$ for the higher rates.

Predictions are that the C$ will continue to rise, so buy on any weakness.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
The US dollar is weak because of its high budget and trade deficits. Canadian interest rates are increasing - which makes foreigners want to hold C$ for the higher rates.

Predictions are that the C$ will continue to rise, so buy on any weakness.
Over the long or short term and clarify. Where do you get your data. Is there a link you can point to please?

Thank you

P
Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:06 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Over the long or short term and clarify. Where do you get your data. Is there a link you can point to please?

Thank you

P
Look on www.cnn.com or www.CBC.ca - the increasing value of the Canadian $ against the US $ is big news here.

Bush has messed up the US economy - there's no indication that his performance will improve in either the long or short term.

Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Look on www.cnn.com or www.CBC.ca - the increasing value of the Canadian $ against the US $ is big news here.

Bush has messed up the US economy - there's no indication that his performance will improve in either the long or short term.
I am a bit dense but and I realise that the US Dollar/Pound/Canadian Dollar are all related but if the US Dollar weakens against the pound etc why does this have a direct affect on the Pound against the Canadian Dollar when the relationship is different? The import/exports between UK and Canada and currency movements would be separate surely from US to Canada and from US to UK/Europe etc.

Economy not a big thing with me! Confused easily.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well the stronger Cnd$ is good for my Canadian husband. Over the last 6 years whenever he had to draw against his Cnd pension from the US he would get .75 cents on the dollar, if that. Now at least it is a bit more and increases his buying power down here. Downside is that I spend more when we go to Canada to shop. Oh well, there's always a winner and loser in every game.

Originally Posted by Glaswegian

Old Nov 6th 2004, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Hi
with U.K. interest rates nearing a high and with the prospect of stabalising or coming down next year and Canadian rates on the way up,Canada is looking a much better currency to invest in.
The high oil and commodity prices which will probably be with us for some time also mean a better Canadian balance of payments (only major western economy in the black).
Really looks like a strong CDN$ will be with us for some time.
Mike.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everybody

If you had time up to MARCH 2005 to change your money, when would you do that, NOW or you would wait for a later time? tell my why.

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2004, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Hi everybody

If you had time up to MARCH 2005 to change your money, when would you do that, NOW or you would wait for a later time? tell my why.

Thanks

If everyone knew that for sure we'd all be making a fortune investing in currency. Who can say what the US economy will do. Most people seem fairly sure the US$ will remain weak and that Bush will keep it weak to boost exports and stimulate the US economy and given his crappy economic record and the huge defecit amd all that you could end up with a Canadian Dollar much higher or something else could happen that makes it fall.

Drew
Old Nov 6th 2004, 3:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

High dollar is hurting my employer as mostly we sell to the US in $US, so we are more expensive in real terms.

CDN dollar is high because of worries over both the US defecit level, which needs to be addressed soon by a cutback in US spending (but wont be with $Billions being spent in Iraq), and worries over oil prices (sold in $US), and also because of relatively good health of CDN economy due to oil / power exports to the US.

Personally I cant see any of these changing in the short term, unless the US economy has a big downturn, which will have a knock on effect on the canadian economy. US/CDN exchange may then stay about the same, but GBP/ CDN exchange may weaken as UK economy should be less affected by US recession that is bound to occur if current defecit levels arent addressed.

I suspect that the reality is not that the CDN dollar is especially strong right, now, it is more to do with currency traders being concerned about the US economy, and 4 more years of Bush given his fiscal record.

$2.25 per pound is actually about average for the last 6 years I've been here, $2.50 is as high as its been for years, and I was below $2.20 for a while a couple of years ago.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Dear IAINK

Does it mean if i HAVE TO change my funds into CDN, better now that later (since as i said March is the last chance for me, and as you predict it's not ging to lower than in short term)
Old Nov 7th 2004, 12:46 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by iaink
US/CDN exchange may then stay about the same, but GBP/ CDN exchange may weaken as UK economy should be less affected by US recession that is bound to occur if current defecit levels arent addressed.
Never heard the phrase "the US sneezes and the UK catches a cold"?

If the US economy tanks, the UK economy will follow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.