Why........??

Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why........??

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
Please ask this question in the lounge, or if you give me permission I will
Ok, will do it now!!!
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

The South Park depiction of the cliched American view of a Canadian may help to shed some light on the OP's original question.

Not that I would recommend watching an episode...
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Surely that's only of interest if you see yourself as being a descendant of the Loyalists, (there are groups of such people here, Canada must have the most Orange lodges outside Northern Ireland, but it's not a mainstream thing).
My F-I-L is a grand pooba in the Masonic Lodge and has suggested membership to me. I've made my excuses politely (I'm too young to be driving a Buick and wearing silly regalia and memorizing incomprehensible text). The Masonic Lodge tends to be more popular in rural, protestant areas of Canada where the un-hyphentated tend to retreat to. Lodge membership is on a heavy decline due to the rapid aging of the membership.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

1812 war maybe?

Very sweeping statement though-
in my opinion Canadians are American wannabe's anyway!! Don't shout at me - I am Canadian- it just makes me laugh that they are so ante USA and yet they have built their homes like the Americans, drive the same cars as the USA, trade heavily with the USA, have CDN versions of Walmart, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot etc...

Go figure!!
Old Mar 14th 2009, 11:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
My F-I-L is a grand pooba in the Masonic Lodge and has suggested membership to me. I've made my excuses politely (I'm too young to be driving a Buick and wearing silly regalia and memorizing incomprehensible text). The Masonic Lodge tends to be more popular in rural, protestant areas of Canada where the un-hyphentated tend to retreat to. Lodge membership is on a heavy decline due to the rapid aging of the membership.
Whereas in the UK Masonic lodges continue to be popular due to the very many Indians who join. It's a strange world, Sandy.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Don't think it's true for many but one question i do have is.....

.....Why do lots of American travellers sew the Canadian flag badge onto their backpacks etc?
Protection and to deflect the negative comments and vibes that can in many lands be part and parcel of the deal if one hails from the USA.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Protection and to deflect the negative comments and vibes that can in many lands be part and parcel of the deal if one hails from the USA.
I don't think it happens. I don't think most Americans have heard of Canada and I doubt that those who have perceive Canada to be viewed more favourably in Europe than the USA. I think the perception that it happens derives from the inability of Europeans (and, indeed, Canadians and Americans) to tell Canadians and Americans apart. A European sees an arsehole with a Canadian flag and assumes that person to be an American impersonating a Canadian when, in fact, that's just a Canadian arsehole.

I do however know of some Canadian backpackers who sported American flags. Ironically.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:15 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it happens. I don't think most Americans have heard of Canada and I doubt that those who have perceive Canada to be viewed more favourably in Europe than the USA. I think the perception that it happens derives from the inability of Europeans (and, indeed, Canadians and Americans) to tell Canadians and Americans apart. A European sees an arsehole with a Canadian flag and assumes that person to be an American impersonating a Canadian when, in fact, that's just a Canadian arsehole.

I do however know of some Canadian backpackers who sported American flags. Ironically.
I was talking over the weekend with one of my American friends who has done this while travelling and mentioned this in passing. His reply......

"I didn't feel confident travelling off the beaten track through the Middle East, India, and Asia with a sign over my head saying I'm an American"

I'm sure it's not rife by any means but it does happen.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:53 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not overall, but those Americans who venture abroad - particularly of the backpacking variety - are precisely those who will most likely have heard of Canada, and be more aware than their compatriots of the distruct for America and Americans in some quarters in Europe and the Middle East and the conversely warm and fuzzy feelings for Canada and Canadians. It's those people who sew Canadian flags on their backpacks. I know several who have done so.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
It's those people who sew Canadian flags on their backpacks. I know several who have done so.
If you say so. Whenever I've mentioned the idea to Americans it's been met with bemusement. Rather as if I had proposed that we pretend to be Irish.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:07 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Maybe not overall, but those Americans who venture abroad - particularly of the backpacking variety - are precisely those who will most likely have heard of Canada, and be more aware than their compatriots of the distruct for America and Americans in some quarters in Europe and the Middle East and the conversely warm and fuzzy feelings for Canada and Canadians. It's those people who sew Canadian flags on their backpacks. I know several who have done so.
So does Mrs AX from her backpacking time in UK. A couple of years ago when we travelled to Kenya/Tanzania she was very insistent upon sewing large Maple Leaf flags onto our kit bags. So IMHO the stories of Americans wanting to pass themselves off as Canadian, are not as apocryphal as some would have you believe.