Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who's a tradesman who came here because Canada was "Crying out" How did you get on?

Who's a tradesman who came here because Canada was "Crying out" How did you get on?

Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:49 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who's a tradesman who came here because Canada was "Crying out" How did you get on?

You see so many threads from people disagreeing with the usual "be very careful" advice on here.

So I'd like it from the horses mouth. Who has a trade - by that I suppose I mean chippy, sparky, bricklayer etc etc etc.

Did you find that there was so much work you had to pick and choose between employers? Or not.

How did you emmigrate? Did you get pr first or get a twp?

Has it been difficult?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:23 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's a tradesman who came here because Canada was "Crying out" How did you get o

I'm going to speak on behalf of 3 people I know that emigrated, but don't use this forum.

Two are carpenters, one's an electrician. They arrived in BC between 5 and 7 years ago, all via PR, with immediate employment for construction companies that had more work than they could shake a level at. All three were long qualified in their trades. Within 2 years they'd all been made redundant due to the slow down in construction (both residential and commercial) in BC's southern interior.

Two of them now work together as self-employed performing house renos. I'd say they have 10 months out of 12 of decently paid work. The third picks up sub-contract work, and is moderately busy.

The three largest local construction companies have all downsized their permanent staff levels substantially in the past 3 years or so, several smaller businesses have folded. Sub contract/casual work is very common, rather than employment.

When I first arrived (2005) I needed a lot of building trade labour - commercial and residential investments I was making. It was very difficult to secure labour and skills, the marketplace was booming, $ sq/ft was high and tradesmen were in high demand. It's certainly not like that today in this area. The economic downturn hasn't hit this part of BC particularly hard, but people are being cautious with spending $, the housing market has slowed, prices are softer and there's no justification to say that tradesmen are in any shortage.

Two years ago I undertook some major renos and structural work to a house I purchased, and unlike a few years previously, getting quotes, the availability of trades etc was very easy - I could pick and choose rather than having to wait months for them. I don't think that situation has really changed much.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 6:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's a tradesman who came here because Canada was "Crying out" How did you get o

Originally Posted by R I C H
... Sub contract/casual work is very common, rather than employment...
Very much the norm here too.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

loety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really niceloety is just really nice

Hi,
My husband is a plumber we arrived in Victoria BC in January.
Five days later and after his 1st interview my husband had a job.
Same for me i am a hairdresser before we arrived i had an interview set up for a hairdresser instructor position.I had the interview 3 days after we arrived and got the job.
I remember before coming reading on this site that coming to Canada without a job was mad but we must have been lucky.I must admit i was a little nervous,we sold our house and came with our 5 years old daughter ,10 boxes and no work. .I lived in France,England and Canada and i have never been out of work,having a trade probably make it easier.
The reason we came here wasn't because there is more demand for tradesman but because we wanted a new adventure and we are very happy we made the move.
Loetitia
Old Nov 19th 2012, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

structured001 is a jewel in the roughstructured001 is a jewel in the roughstructured001 is a jewel in the roughstructured001 is a jewel in the rough

Although I am not a recent immigrant by any means (over 30 years in this country), a couple nephews on my wife's side arrived in Canada through the LMO route (Alberta specifically) from Ireland last year. I believe the mere fact they were given these LMOs indicates that there is a shortage here in Canada, or at least in Alberta. Probably the only part of the country (with the exception of perhaps Saskatchewan) where demand for trades is higher than the average. My nephews are active on some of these "Irish in Calgary" facebook forums and having gone through some of them, the Irish at least seem to be doing alright.

Last edited by structured001; Nov 19th 2012 at 9:57 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:23 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

This has to be the longest thread title on here?