Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who took you to the airport?

Who took you to the airport?

Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:22 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who took you to the airport?

We will probably go by taxi. Couldnt stand all the tears from family and friends at the airport, but then again half the family arent speaking to me now anyway so there wouldnt be many family there (only my Mum and she is 82 and doesnt drive) and friends would probably be waving the flags to see us go - they cannt wait to visit us in Canada for their holidays
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:26 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrsWillow
We've done that once before. Good idea really. I always think that the drive down to the airport is the worst bit of flying.

Is there such thing as a hotel very near to the airport that takes pets? (just the kind of hotel I would usually avoid! LOL)
I hope so as we need to sneak our tortoise in and hope no-one sees! Lucky it's hibernation time!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:27 pm
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Taxi for us too...

as said, I want to be happy getting on the plane with the kids ...

Will in the last week spend time, free rent of cause living at each parents house so we can say our goodbyes there, then off to the airport and our NEW LIFE.........................
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:28 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
We will probably go by taxi. Couldnt stand all the tears from family and friends at the airport, but then again half the family arent speaking to me now anyway so there wouldnt be many family there (only my Mum and she is 82 and doesnt drive) and friends would probably be waving the flags to see us go - they cannt wait to visit us in Canada for their holidays
Amen to all of that! We've got bookings already! :scared:
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:50 pm
Starting over ..

bad.andy is on a distinguished road

God that sounds like a brilliant idea as well. We are having a hell of a time selling our car so you never know.....
Everyone wants our fridge though.

Try Exchange and Mart or AutoTrader, we sold both our cars in a matter of days for only a few pounds - of course we hadn't had our visas then so ellsie wasn't too pleased, but at least we get one bus an hour here

bad.andy
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:52 pm
Starting over ..

bad.andy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ellsie
I hope so as we need to sneak our tortoise in and hope no-one sees! Lucky it's hibernation time!
Yeah, 'cos our tortoise is such a noisy bugger when it isn't hibernating!!

hello dear

bad.andy
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:42 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum and StepDad drove me and daughter to the hotel at Gatwick, we had a lovely meal and said our goodbyes, StepDad whisked Mum away before we got to teary, didn't want to upset daughter too much, all in all a success!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:58 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We hired a taxi. Best idea ever. .... except he hadn't seemed to realise we were emigrating and might have some luggage with us!!!! Just about squeezed everything in! 4 big bags and hand luggage for 4 ppl.

We "gave the car away" as part of the house deal!! Brilliant!!!!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad took me, (i was only going travelling for 6 months ALONE) and i remember him standing near security saying to me, "now if anything happens you go straight to the embassy (he had a envelope with the address in and everything) and il come get you i promise!!" he was all bleary eyed

I remember walking through security and looking until i couldnt see him anymore, dropping my bag in middle of rush hour gatwick and thinking

"what the fudge am i doing"!!!

Get a cab trust me!!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I drove to the airport took the plates off the car and left it in the car park.

LMFAO only you DB33!!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 2:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
LMFAO only you DB33!!
No, no. Not only him. I drove to the airport in a horse and buggy, shot the horse and squashed the buggy. (Nasty, sarcastic critter: like dbd33)
Old Oct 11th 2006, 7:36 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Mother in Law always does the airport thing for us. Always.

This is something that we are going to have to think about. As there is no way she will be able to do it for this one. God, she will be in such a state, no chance of driving us there and or even herself home. She hyperventilated when DH first told her we were going. I dread to think, she would also frighten the children.

We think that we will have to just get a taxi and that will be easier on our nerves as well. I just worry that she will insist on taking us and we will have to say 'No, not a good idea, Mum.'

What did you do?
My Dad drove us................I'll never forget the journey ~ it was awful, we were all making small talk about bugger all & trying to be lighthearted & flippant, the nearer we got to the hotel close to Gatwick the worse I felt & to top things off my a**hole of a stepdad phoned me about 15 mins before we got there to say they were all waiting in the hotel bar (mum, him, aunt & uncle) .......it was 3pm & I'd specifically asked them to wait until after 6pm so I could spend a last couple of hours with my Dad....................anyway, Dad said it was probably a blessing in disguise as he couldn't handle long goodbyes and was going to go as soon as we checked in.......... I've never seen my Dad cry before, even at the ripe old age of 4 !!

I was gutted with the rest of my family (they live nearish to Gatwick) they sat in the bar for the next 3 hours getting pi**ed telling me how much they were going to miss me they ruined our last day in the UK (it was our 20th anniversary as well) & I've only spoken to my aunt & uncle once since then although I speak to my Mum fairly often & even 1 year & 2 weeks on it still makes me really sad/mad & upset............................................. ......................there, 54 weeks to get THAT one off my chest
for the sake of your sanity (unless you're the one with the 'normal' family)..............GET A CAB!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 11th 2006, 8:04 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mother in Law always does the airport thing for us. Always.

This is something that we are going to have to think about. As there is no way she will be able to do it for this one. God, she will be in such a state, no chance of driving us there and or even herself home. She hyperventilated when DH first told her we were going. I dread to think, she would also frighten the children.

We think that we will have to just get a taxi and that will be easier on our nerves as well. I just worry that she will insist on taking us and we will have to say 'No, not a good idea, Mum.'

What did you do?
Drove to the airport where a friend of ours who met us, took the car and sold it to a dealer for us... No family, much better that way.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 8:12 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Good Grief
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No, no. Not only him. I drove to the airport in a horse and buggy, shot the horse and squashed the buggy. (Nasty, sarcastic critter: like dbd33)
No. We actually did leave the car, a Mini for which I had paid fifteen pounds, at LHR. We also really did get married in the morning and leave in the afternoon, driving from the party to the airport. It seemed as if we were going to the end of the world and might fall off.

It was another thing when my eldest daughter went from Canada to Switzerland to work her gap year. By then crossing the Atlantic had all the excitement of going to Oakville.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.