Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whistler accommodation

Whistler accommodation

Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

The Esses will become famous soon enoughThe Esses will become famous soon enough
Default Whistler accommodation

Hey all

Anyone have any suggestions for places to find cheap Whistler skiing accommodation over the Christmas/New Year period?

Cheers
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whistler accommodation

Originally Posted by The Esses
cheap Whistler skiing accommodation over the Christmas/New Year period?
Camping?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

The Esses will become famous soon enoughThe Esses will become famous soon enough

Hmmm....were thinking more bricks and mortar!
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Esses
Hmmm....were thinking more bricks and mortar!
You said cheap, that's about the only 'cheap' or stay in Pemberton or Squamish
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

There is a HA up there...

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels...-011097.en.htm

Not as romantic as the old one but cleaner and more convenient.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:57 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Camping?
Hhaaa my first thought when i read the question.

There really isnt any in Whistler over winter, The Esses. We used to stay here a lot in the summer months. Most of them have a hot tub with them.

http://tinyurl.com/3a67amw
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:38 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I used hotwire.ca this May - but not sure re winter . . . .
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

as with every accommodation based issue..... i recommend and have used VRBO.com
Old Aug 16th 2010, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

oh... and Xmas + Whistler never = cheap.

least expensive would be a preferrable term. failing this, a B&B outside of Whistler, such as in Squamish might be friendlier to the drinks budget.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
oh... and Xmas + Whistler never = cheap.

least expensive would be a preferrable term. failing this, a B&B outside of Whistler, such as in Squamish might be friendlier to the drinks budget.
You'd have to factor in hiring a car, and whether or not the 30 minute drive each way would piss you off, but it's not that bad an idea.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

I quite like the drive to and from squamish.... the main 'piss off' factor however, is having to pay 10 bucks to park in a gravel field.

It seems that those with season passes / Edge cards can get $90 rooms from the resort, although i doubt such an offer extends through out the 'silly season'.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
I quite like the drive to and from squamish.... the main 'piss off' factor however, is having to pay 10 bucks to park in a gravel field.

It seems that those with season passes / Edge cards can get $90 rooms from the resort, although i doubt such an offer extends through out the 'silly season'.
Isn't parking at whistler free? I usually park at Creekside and have never had to pay.

Back to staying at whistler, I have a feeling that with the way things are in the US, bookings won't be at capacity this year. There will probably be deals to be had if you've got the nerve to wait till last minute.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Isn't parking at whistler free?
now you mention it.... the day lots are gratis.

i guess this past winter, i enjoyed breakfasts that lasted too long as the day lots were usually full, so i parked at the village driving range car park.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

nichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud of

The top Whistler parking lots (#1-3) are no longer free, they introduced a parking charge this summer after covering them all in tarmac. Currently $12/day (summer) and I think its going to be about $8/day in winter. But the lower day lots (#4 & 5) and Blackcomb base lots are still free, so you just have to walk an extra 2 minutes.

As others have said, there is no cheap accommodation in Whistler in winter. But to get the least expensive option, gather a big group of friends and book a condo. With a group and some-one sleeping on the inevitable sofa-bed, the shared costs are pretty reasonable.

I've always used Allura, good service, lots of choice: http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/
Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the helpful suggestions folks.

Somebody else has suggested Allura too. I'm trying to get a big bunch of people together to rent a house.

I'll see what I can find.