Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where would you invest £250,000?

Where would you invest £250,000?

Old Sep 27th 2007, 6:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where would you invest £250,000?

Originally Posted by cneldred
CAD has got too strong.
No shit, its killing us...Parity with the US dollar is the last thing our business needs.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:02 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
No shit, its killing us...Parity with the US dollar is the last thing our business needs.
I hear you there. One saving grace for our business is that we buy a lot in USD and sell a lot in USD which minimises the exposure somewhat.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I hear you there. One saving grace for our business is that we buy a lot in USD and sell a lot in USD which minimises the exposure somewhat.
All our sales are in US, and nearly all the stuff we buy in is in US, but its the fixed overhead costs like salaries, rent, utilities etc that are killing us. The stronger the dollar gets, the more efficiencies we have to find to maintain the same profit margin.

Anyone that thinks parity is a great thing cos you can buy a TV in the US for a bargain price is sadly mistaken, the Canadian economy depends heavily on trade with the US, in US dollars. Manufacturing and commodities suppliers (energy, lumber, oil etc) will suffer, and so will retail as more people buy south of the border. It will only be bad news in the long term if nothing is done to reign it in a bit.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

DOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by benjy
Want to put £250,000 tax free in the UK, waiting for the CAD v GBP to recover...any good suggestions?? Best rates I've seen are Bradford and Bingley( 6.3% ) and Abbey....stayed clear of ICIC bank as recommended by Martin Lewis...the indian chap couldn't grasp what I wanted!!

Want to get as much tax free int as possible.

Thanks to those tax experts
If you give me the money I promise to invest a large amount of interest in it and won't even charge you a penny.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:41 pm
Benjy

benjy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DOBBIE
If you give me the money I promise to invest a large amount of interest in it and won't even charge you a penny.
Im sure you would...we need it for a house unfortunately!! But nice try
Old Sep 27th 2007, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

tourer is an unknown quantity at this point

$2.037 would be great - best I could get at 5.20pm was $1.98 - it might be showing over $2 on websites but it aint in real life believe me.

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You wanna ask that Cneldred chap on exchange rates as he is a forex trader. The exchange rate +/- might be more than the interest. Right now with the CAD at $2.037 to the GBP I'd hang on in UK.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by landhouse
Er, Northern Rock are offering 6.71%....if you fancy a real gamble that is
Northern Rock shares
Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:47 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Buy 250,000 lottery tickets for tomorrows £88m euro millions lottery.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Not a bad shout Danny, gonna buy 50 quids worth myself.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:55 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cneldred
Not a bad shout Danny, gonna buy 50 quids worth myself.
Oooh. Are you interested in these magic beans I've got?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

jasslily is an unknown quantity at this point

Las Vegas maybe