Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to vacation from Canada?

Where to vacation from Canada?

Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to vacation from Canada?

Originally Posted by bats
I can't decide between NYC, DC, or Chicago. Can drive to Chicago easily, but have been recently, Tricky one.
How about Winnipeg, you don't even need to cross the border...
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Oaken is an unknown quantity at this point

There is so much to see in Canada you don't even need to leave the country.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oaken
There is so much to see in Canada you don't even need to leave the country.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:15 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Which of NYC or Washington did you last visit? Go to the other one.
I have been to neither. DC appeals more but now i am contemplating train travel with both cities on the route. Greedy or what?
Old Oct 17th 2013, 3:08 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Bear in mind that I'm a few miles away from you the majority of you.....everyone here seems to go to Cuba. A decent couple who I recently met are off there at the end of this week for a week and are paying $1,400 for the two of them in an all inclusive hotel via Sun Wing. I've never done an al inclusive holiday, as it was never necessary with Europe at my feet, but I am certainly considering it now.
Cross check with Tripadvisor before you book anything in Cuba or the DR. See what other people are saying about resorts and where the people making positive/negative comments come from. I have noticed that opinions vary widely but have geographical commonalities (eg, if a place is being criticised by people from Stoke but praised by people from Quebec, I know I'm probably going to like it).
Old Oct 17th 2013, 3:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to neither. DC appeals more but now i am contemplating train travel with both cities on the route. Greedy or what?
Hey, why not? Last time we went to NYC (for last Christmas) we drove to Albany and took the train from there; a nice ride. I would advise against going by overnight Greyhound bus though, that was cheap but stopped in some unattractive places at strange hours.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:20 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hey, why not? Last time we went to NYC (for last Christmas) we drove to Albany and took the train from there; a nice ride. I would advise against going by overnight Greyhound bus though, that was cheap but stopped in some unattractive places at strange hours.
Ah, yes, our cunning plan was getting the train from Syracuse. Any hotel recommendations? I have been told of one in Brooklyn but that doesn't appeal, especially as the Toronto dweller who recommended it said Brooklyn was just like Toronto.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, yes, our cunning plan was getting the train from Syracuse. Any hotel recommendations? I have been told of one in Brooklyn but that doesn't appeal, especially as the Toronto dweller who recommended it said Brooklyn was just like Toronto.
Last time we stayed at The Court in Curry Hill, which was cheap and clean and handy for Indian food. You can walk pretty much anywhere in Manhattan from there.

I have a touristy suggestion. A nice afternoon is to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, have a butcher's at Jane's Carousel and then catch the bus boat back to the mainland. You should also take the Staten Island ferry for the view but you probably know that.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is the place to be. Just cross the boarder and get cheap flights from Bellingham to Vegas, San Fran, LA or drive down to Seattle, Oregon Coast and Portland.