Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

where too look ????

where too look ????

Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future
Default where too look ????

hi, we went for a drive over the weekend and we came across 2/3 derilict building in the area where i live in Saskatchewan...how would we find out who they belonged too or where we would look to find out who to speak to about buying 1 of them.
thanks all
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:04 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where too look ????

Hi ClaireMarie - you have two options

Most of Saskatchewan is divided up into Rural Municipalities so if you know which municipality the land is in you could write to the municipal office to get regional maps sent to you for about $20. These maps will show ownership, farm locations and govt owned land.

Alternatively you can go to the Gov of Sask land ownership website and do an online search (again you will have to pay for the privilege!). I think you can do this on a pay as you go basis (we have an account so I can't say for sure).

Anyway best of luck - you never know what you might end up with!

J
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:25 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Just pound on the nearest door that looks occupied, or go straight to the village/rm office.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
hi, we went for a drive over the weekend and we came across 2/3 derilict building in the area where i live in Saskatchewan...how would we find out who they belonged too or where we would look to find out who to speak to about buying 1 of them.
thanks all
Hi Clairemarie70,

If you contact your Realtor they can access the provincial land registry and contact the owners on your behalf. I can refer you to someone who can help if you need any more help.

Good luck
Roy
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zap0ne
Hi Clairemarie70,

If you contact your Realtor they can access the provincial land registry and contact the owners on your behalf. I can refer you to someone who can help if you need any more help.

Good luck
Roy
I did what Zap0ne suggests. I wanted to buy the lot next door and it wasn't for sale. Didn't know who owned it, didn't want them to know the neighbour wanted to buy it... so had a realtor do all the work and paid him a 3% commission. He searched the city records by hand (they don't seem to be computerised here?) and had a difficult job as this one had been misfiled. I'd probably have given up at that point
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:23 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the local Vet, mine has a list on the wall of all the municipality broken down into lots and who owns them written on it, I was amazed when I saw the amount of information displayed She is our local vet so she and the rest of the staff obviously needs the info becuase of the large area she covers.

I suggest your local realtor too - good luck