Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

where to stay in vancouver?

Wikiposts

where to stay in vancouver?

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

lucas is a jewel in the roughlucas is a jewel in the roughlucas is a jewel in the roughlucas is a jewel in the rough
Smile where to stay in vancouver?

Hello ,im travelling to vancouver in october with small children ,can any one tell me which part of the city would be the best for a family with children?? ,i mean the best areas to look for hotels , dont want to land in any dodgy parts !!!!!! ,with the children ! ,thanks , guy
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:31 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to stay in vancouver?

If you want the centre of Vancouver (the bit on the map that looks like a thumb sticking up) then anywhere west of Cambie will be just fine.

As ever, my recommendation for value and location is the Sylvia Hotel.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

lucas is a jewel in the roughlucas is a jewel in the roughlucas is a jewel in the roughlucas is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: where to stay in vancouver?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If you want the centre of Vancouver (the bit on the map that looks like a thumb sticking up) then anywhere west of Cambie will be just fine.

As ever, my recommendation for value and location is the Sylvia Hotel.
cheers ,thanks for the quick reply ,guy
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:54 am
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I also stayed at the Sylvia on my reccy trip and it was excellent! Very central, the staff very helpful and a lot of things are walkable. Plus you're right on English Bay which is lovely!

Good luck
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:06 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lucas
Hello ,im travelling to vancouver in october with small children ,can any one tell me which part of the city would be the best for a family with children?? ,i mean the best areas to look for hotels , dont want to land in any dodgy parts !!!!!! ,with the children ! ,thanks , guy
Hi,

another suggestion in the same area - Rose Ellen Suites

We stayed there a few times and the advantage it has over the Sylvia (which I have not stayed in!) is that you're on a quieter street and you have suites - so can self-cater if you want. We stayed with our 4 kids at the Rose Ellen on a number of occasions.

The West End has a lot of restaurants from the cheap and cheerful to the expensive and cheerful and being on the edge of Stanley Park and at English Bay, you have attractions nearby to keep the kids amused.

Another two places in the west end that clients of ours have used and recommended are:

Coast Plaza Hotel which is on Denman so busy but convenient
and
Times Square Suites which is West of Denman and so a bit quieter.

Interested to hear anyone's thoughts on these places as so many of our clients are looking for recommendations of places to stay.

Warmly,

Frank
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
For our holiday/recce trip three years ago,
we stayed here.

http://www.century-plaza.com/

great place we enjoyed it and seemed central for us.

nearly forgot, the room we had came with a kitchen area, very handy.

cheers
Jerry

Last edited by jerry brewer; Aug 23rd 2008 at 4:46 pm. Reason: extra info
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Island Hop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we stayed the first part at the Holiday Inn Downtown Vancouver. Has swimming pool and good facilities.

Depending on budget: The Wedgewood Hotel is my favourite, even if you don't stay there it is a good place to dine.

For evening entertainment, we found the Comedy Club http://www.century-plaza.com/

Capones Jazz club http://www.caponesrestaurant.net/

There are also some very nice places to eat and visit on Granville Island.

It's not like UK clubs or bars, very civilized and friendly atmospheres.

Tip: The Fairmont Hotel, Downtown, Thurs & Frid 4pm free plates of Calamari if you go in their bar area

Stay away from East Hastings, this has a very bad rep.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:41 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Island Hop
Stay away from East Hastings, this has a very bad rep.
It is the 4 blocks west of Main Street and maybe 2 or 3 blocks to the east. I would certainly stay out of the back alleys in this area and would be uncomfortable walking this stretch after dark.

East Hastings is a very long street and, these few blocks apart, it is perfectly safe.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: where to stay in vancouver?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is the 4 blocks west of Main Street and maybe 2 or 3 blocks to the east. I would certainly stay out of the back alleys in this area and would be uncomfortable walking this stretch after dark.

East Hastings is a very long street and, these few blocks apart, it is perfectly safe.
Thankyou to all the people who have replied and gave us some good information ,like i said i am just trying to get the location right for my family ,as it is completely different to going on my own ,thanks again guy