Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

WHERE TO SETTLE NEAR CALGARY?

WHERE TO SETTLE NEAR CALGARY?

Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

oscar23 has a brilliant futureoscar23 has a brilliant futureoscar23 has a brilliant futureoscar23 has a brilliant futureoscar23 has a brilliant futureoscar23 has a brilliant future
Default WHERE TO SETTLE NEAR CALGARY?

Hi everyone,
I'd like some suggestions please regarding areas around Calgary in which to settle. I'm looking to rent to begin with and would like somewhere outside or on the very outskirts of the city. I'm 43 and arriving by myself in January so, unlike many of the forum members relocating, I don't need the usual good schools or nurseries e.t.c.
I would prefer somewhere with a small town feel that has a couple of decent pubs/bars, sports/fitness facilities and perhaps a reasonably sized shopping centre (but that's not as important as the pub).
I've been Googling various areas but I think it would be more useful to hear from forum members with first hand experience.
All suggestions and ideas are much appreciated.
Cheers
Andy
Old Nov 17th 2008, 4:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WHERE TO SETTLE NEAR CALGARY?

Originally Posted by oscar23
Hi everyone,
I'd like some suggestions please regarding areas around Calgary in which to settle. I'm looking to rent to begin with and would like somewhere outside or on the very outskirts of the city. I'm 43 and arriving by myself in January so, unlike many of the forum members relocating, I don't need the usual good schools or nurseries e.t.c.
I would prefer somewhere with a small town feel that has a couple of decent pubs/bars, sports/fitness facilities and perhaps a reasonably sized shopping centre (but that's not as important as the pub).
I've been Googling various areas but I think it would be more useful to hear from forum members with first hand experience.
Cheers
Andy
Cochrane or Okotoks
Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oscar23
Hi everyone,
Cheers
Andy
A man with his priorities right! Okotoks certainly has all this. Perhaps not fabulous choice on the bars but can think of at least 3 that are passable.

Eamonn & Janet.

Last edited by Getting There; Nov 17th 2008 at 5:28 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Cochrane fits the bill nicely as long as you don't add Chinese food to your list. The Cochrane Place has recently been subject to a closure notice for amongst other things "A Gross Accumulation Of Mouse Droppings" in the storage room, utility room and bar area.

At least the local Indian is really good
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Cochrane fits the bill nicely as long as you don't add Chinese food to your list. The Cochrane Place has recently been subject to a closure notice for amongst other things "A Gross Accumulation Of Mouse Droppings" in the storage room, utility room and bar area.

Ewwww! Whereas, In Okotoks, the Chinese we use (there's more than one) is not too bad but we completely lack an Indian restuarant. We now have a list of Calgary (and Cochrane) based Indian restuarants and we have commenced the process of trying them all! One down (very good, in our view) and about 12 to go!

E&J.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:01 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Shawnessy, Somerset, Silverado, Sundance..........all this are on the very outskirts of Calgary south and have a very small town feel
Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Getting There
Ewwww! Whereas, In Okotoks, the Chinese we use (there's more than one) is not too bad but we completely lack an Indian restuarant. We now have a list of Calgary (and Cochrane) based Indian restuarants and we have commenced the process of trying them all! One down (very good, in our view) and about 12 to go!

E&J.
Is this webpage any help. I'm in Ottawa but use 'Chowhounds' to find interesting places to go and reviews ahead of time.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/570097#4169485
Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Shawnessy, Somerset, Silverado, Sundance..........all this are on the very outskirts of Calgary south and have a very small town feel
We would agree with that - these would be definite alternatives for us IF our jobs were in Calgary. It may require leaving these communities to get some of the facilities the OP is after but then, you could say much the same of living in an Okotoks community. You still may have to leave, for example, Crystal Shores or Westmount, etc, to go to a bar or a fitness centre.

E&J.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar

Is Bridlewood suitable, or is it dismissed because it doesn't begin with "S"
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

Evergreen could fit the bill too!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:14 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Posidrive

Cochrane does have another two chinese restaurants which have been in business for years and are great. Remember crispy duck is really expensive in Canada and thus not as common in restaurants.

As for pubs, well I have tried the cochrane one, and okotoks and calgary. Just remember folks no matter how they try, who owns them or what they sell, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME AS ENGLISH PUBS!!! They are all poor imitiations. Just go into one, have a drink, enjoy yourself and don't for one minute try to compare. Once you start to compare, well then you are about to become homesick (or sick) and it will just do your head in.

As to where to settle, cochrane is the best small town around, but I am extremely bias
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Midnapore!

So named because a letter was sent to some army officer in Midnapore, India, and it ended up in this small hamlet south of Calgary.

It's now part of the connurbation and has that small town feel.

My local is Dixon's, can be busy, but they pull a decent pint and the waitresses are friendly - espeically the little Ozzie Eugenie.

Nearby is a decent Indian, the Moti Mahal. The Mighty Mango serves good chinese, and the Olive Grove has good pizza.

It's near the shops, restautrants and cinemas in Shawnessy, and has quick access to the highway.

There's even a world health gym.

The real jewel is the lake which is community owned an surrouned by a recreation area. You can fish for trout in the lake summer and winter (it's stocked), tobbogan down the hill in winter, or swim and play beach volleyball in summer.

They clear some of the snow off the lake in winter, and people use it for skating or hockey.

There's also a big fire-pit in the middle of another rink.

In spring the lake is ringed by lilac bushes, and in winter the conifers are alight with xmas lights.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Shawn_ldn is an unknown quantity at this point

And there are a number of people who post on the forum who can sell you a house in any of the areas mentioned.
Myself excluded......
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

oscar23 has a brilliant futureoscar23 has a brilliant futureoscar23 has a brilliant futureoscar23 has a brilliant futureoscar23 has a brilliant futureoscar23 has a brilliant future

Thank you all for the replies.
I'm leaning towards Cochrane at the moment, but I guess I need to see for myself when I arrive.
Many Thanks
Andy
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Just a note:

Think about the commute before you move to Airdrie, Cochrane, Okotoks etc.

Commuting time does detract from lifestyle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.