Reload this Page >

where in nova scotia?

where in nova scotia?

Old May 11th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where in nova scotia?

hi
anyone got any ideas about were to settle in nova scotia. I'm a nurse and although been offered a job in Truro, east colchester, my husband works in sales and thinks we might be better living in suburbs of halifax to secure a job for him?
we dont want to be in the middle of a city, coming from a very sleepy town in NI but we also want to have a community to integrate with as we have a young family.
as a nurse i guess as long as there is a hospital , there will be a job somewhere.
advise greatly appreciated.
jenny
Old May 11th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where in nova scotia?

I guess a lot depends on what you want. I live near to NB and there are several jobs for RN's (I am a RN still sorting my stuff out but seen at least 10 jobs advertised in Amherst and a couple in Pugwash) and also Moncton is only 30 mins away and many commute there to work (thinking of your husband) We both love the community feel we have here as well as the rural setting we have
Old May 11th 2009, 6:33 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are moving over 4 weeks today and are going to be based in Stewiacke which is about 15 mins south of Truro in the Halifax direction.

We too are currently in a very small village and knew that we did not want to be too close to Halifax, and after looking around last year really liked the feel of it. They have recently opened a brand new elementary school with about 300 students. We have 2 children 6 and 2.

There are lots of really nice pockets on the outskirts of Halifax and you dont need to travel too far out of the city to reach these, 20 mins or so you can get the "smaller" feel.

We will see what happens over the next few months

When are you aiming to move over by?

Good luck
Old May 12th 2009, 1:16 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JENNYMG
hi
anyone got any ideas about were to settle in nova scotia. I'm a nurse and although been offered a job in Truro, east colchester, my husband works in sales and thinks we might be better living in suburbs of halifax to secure a job for him?
we dont want to be in the middle of a city, coming from a very sleepy town in NI but we also want to have a community to integrate with as we have a young family.
as a nurse i guess as long as there is a hospital , there will be a job somewhere.
advise greatly appreciated.
jenny
For job opportunities it does help to be near Halifax. That's not to say there are no jobs outside HRM but your choices are more limited and wages are lower.

If you're worried about living in the middle of a city you needn't. There are plenty of areas near Halifax that are about a 30 minute commute away where you feel like you're in a very rural area (Tantallon, Fall River, Porters Lake, Hammonds Plains). For example I live less than a 30 min commute away (closer to 20 mins outside of "rush hour") from the centre of the city and at the back of our house is about 1000 acres of forest. Obviously that doesn't help with the bug situation and Racoon attacks on our garbage bins but you cant have everything!
Old May 12th 2009, 11:07 am
Just Joined

NS.Zoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Amherst is looking for nurses, they are short staffed. there are jobs in Amherst too and house prices are pretty resonable out of town, but in all honesty I wouldnt build your hopes about somewhere to live until you find a job, I have travelled over most of NS and could settle probably anywhere, although I now call Cumberland Co. my home I have finally found a great job and so has DH....we are now in our 3rd year!
Old May 12th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to look at possible places to work in and around Halifax you could check out the Capital Health website http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/
Old May 12th 2009, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

emmsagogo has a spectacular aura aboutemmsagogo has a spectacular aura aboutemmsagogo has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
For job opportunities it does help to be near Halifax. That's not to say there are no jobs outside HRM but your choices are more limited and wages are lower.

If you're worried about living in the middle of a city you needn't. There are plenty of areas near Halifax that are about a 30 minute commute away where you feel like you're in a very rural area (Tantallon, Fall River, Porters Lake, Hammonds Plains). For example I live less than a 30 min commute away (closer to 20 mins outside of "rush hour") from the centre of the city and at the back of our house is about 1000 acres of forest. Obviously that doesn't help with the bug situation and Racoon attacks on our garbage bins but you cant have everything!

Hi there

this is soo true! the feeling of being rural, is very apparent. Bedford is a lovely place, and halifax is full of hospitals. Go for mainstream, get to know the country while you are here,,then choose your area later on. but i personally wouldn't grab at a job in an area that you may end up hating...can you choose your area first? again, halifax can have very beautiful areas as well as busy built up areas,...however this city has so much more charm than say london.

we drive past a couple of hospitals, down town halifax on our way to point pleasant park (check this out) and it's real nice. Nurses may be one of the 'jobs under pressure', as is diesel fitters (truck mechanics) which helped speed our application up by years...we are here on a temp visa which lasts two years and at the end of it, if you haven;t already applied for citizenship,,,you can extend it. I personally feel the location offers more opportunities if you want to play it safe!* and bedford sits about 15 mins outside of halifax...wonderful..but slightly expensive place. good luck.