Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

where near to calgary

where near to calgary

Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

abcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where near to calgary

I am looking for some good place to live in Alberta....may be Calgary outskirts...hopefully property there will be reasonably priced.
[/list]
          which Calgary suburban will be good to meet these requirements please.

Based upon internet info it appears that Calgary property rates are very high, higher than Toronto rates, so basicaly want to avoid calgary city. To begin with I will not be working in Calgary, but my wife has more chance of employment in Calgary...so this seems to be catch 22 situation here.

Thanks for your time
          Old Jun 23rd 2006, 1:43 am
          BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of
          Default Re: where near to calgary

Originally Posted by abcd
          I am looking for some good place to live in Alberta....may be Calgary outskirts...hopefully property there will be reasonably priced.
          [/list]

Based upon internet info it appears that Calgary property rates are very high, higher than Toronto rates, so basicaly want to avoid calgary city. To begin with I will not be working in Calgary, but my wife has more chance of employment in Calgary...so this seems to be catch 22 situation here.

Thanks for your time
                  Hi,

I will always recommend Cochrane to live...basically because it fits our lifestyle...visit www.cochrane.ca for more info.

Other places to live, are Bearspaw, Springbank, Bragg Creek, Okotoks.....Strathmore, Airdrie, Some of these areas may well offer employment opportunities for your spouse, but like you said Calgary is the best option, and all of these areas are approx 30 - 45 min commute to downtown Calgary.
                  Old Jun 23rd 2006, 2:35 am
                  Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
                  Hi,

I will always recommend Cochrane to live...basically because it fits our lifestyle...visit www.cochrane.ca for more info.

Other places to live, are Bearspaw, Springbank, Bragg Creek, Okotoks.....Strathmore, Airdrie, Some of these areas may well offer employment opportunities for your spouse, but like you said Calgary is the best option, and all of these areas are approx 30 - 45 min commute to downtown Calgary.
                  Shit how fast do you drive?????
                  45 minutes Strathmore to Calgary?????? :scared:
                  You forgot Chestermere too
                  Old Jun 23rd 2006, 3:11 am
                  BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
                  Shit how fast do you drive?????
                  45 minutes Strathmore to Calgary?????? :scared:
                  You forgot Chestermere too
                  I'm one of those A holes that drive like an old lady...well below the speed limits, as those nice policemen like to hide....I'm going to get one of those detectors...they have to be worth it....
                  Old Jun 23rd 2006, 3:21 am
                  Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of those A holes that drive like an old lady...well below the speed limits, as those nice policemen like to hide....I'm going to get one of those detectors...they have to be worth it....
                  In that case how the heck do you get 45 minutes strathmore to calgary???? more like 60\75 i'd have thought
                  Old Jun 23rd 2006, 3:25 am
                  BE Enthusiast

In that case how the heck do you get 45 minutes strathmore to calgary???? more like 60\75 i'd have thought
                  I actually didn't think it was that far, as a guy I know commutes to work from there, and he says it takes him about 45 mins...maybe he lives near there
                  Old Jun 23rd 2006, 3:26 am
                  Banned

I actually didn't think it was that far, as a guy I know commutes to work from there, and he says it takes him about 45 mins...maybe he lives near there
                  AHHHHHHHH
                  Ok we'll take his word for it (he drives like a madman )
                  Old Jun 23rd 2006, 3:30 am
                  Banned

AHHHHHHHH
                  Ok we'll take his word for it (he drives like a madman )
                  Well bugger me he doesnt at all
                  Just checked on mapquest and 45 minutes is achievable
                  Old Jun 23rd 2006, 4:24 am
                  BE Enthusiast

Well bugger me
                  I might take you up on that...as I've been on bread and water all week
                  Old Jun 24th 2006, 10:46 pm
                  Forum Regular

Janietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really niceJanietrz is just really nice

Originally Posted by abcd
                  [/list]

Thanks for your time
                          Does it have to be nearly Calgary?, because I may be biased here, what about Lethbridge?, its booming there with work so I hear, I know some say its not to thier liking as it can be quite brown during some months of the year, and it its windy, but its the sunniest place in Ca, so those long winters dont seem so long, as the chinhook winds give some relief and the views are to die for with a back drop of the rockies and the praries on your doorstep, also house prices ar not as high as other areas yet! but it is going up also, do some research, google it, good luck
                          Old Jun 25th 2006, 1:51 am
                          Banned

Originally Posted by Janietrz
                          Does it have to be nearly Calgary?, because I may be biased here, what about Lethbridge?, its booming there with work so I hear, I know some say its not to thier liking as it can be quite brown during some months of the year, and it its windy, but its the sunniest place in Ca, so those long winters dont seem so long, as the chinhook winds give some relief and the views are to die for with a back drop of the rockies and the praries on your doorstep, also house prices ar not as high as other areas yet! but it is going up also, do some research, google it, good luck
                          MMMMM Not sure wether we should call the men in the white coats or the local priest to perform an exorcism.