Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to move to in Canada?

Where to move to in Canada?

Old Aug 8th 2016, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move to in Canada?

Osbourne Village and the Forks were always the trendy places to go.
Ok ,winters in Winterpeg -40C add on wind chill = -52C,want snow? We got it, 3 to 4 feet .
I knew an old guy ,liked to go from pub to pub ,got drunk ,fell asleep in the snow ,all his fingers got frostbite,they were completly black ,he was lucky he didnt lose any.
Take a walk down Main St Wpeg around 8am when they kick out the homeless people for the day,there are 100s of homeless ,I dont see this in Calgary.
The native gangs in Wpeg ,part of the inniation ceremony is to shoot someone.
I know Calgary isnt Utopia but I much prefer Calgary over Winnipeg and thats the advise I would give to anyone coming to Canada.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 10:19 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Ok ,winters in Winterpeg -40C add on wind chill = -52C,want snow? We got it, 3 to 4 feet .
I knew an old guy ,liked to go from pub to pub ,got drunk ,fell asleep in the snow ,all his fingers got frostbite,they were completly black ,he was lucky he didnt lose any.
Take a walk down Main St Wpeg around 8am when they kick out the homeless people for the day,there are 100s of homeless ,I dont see this in Calgary.

The native gangs in Wpeg ,part of the inniation ceremony is to shoot someone.

The drunk old guy could have had the same result in many cities (including Calgary). To insinuate frostbite is only a Winnipeg related issue is daft.

The majority of Canada has cool to cold winters, and cold snaps that you describe above aren't limited to Winnipeg, where the average Dec-Feb temp is between -14 to -18c. Minus 40 isn't a daily event.

Take a walk down 17th near Alpha House in Calgary, it's the same issue as you describe on Main Street.

Initiation or not in Winnipeg, Calgary and other cities have just the same problems.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
The drunk old guy could have had the same result in many cities (including Calgary). To insinuate frostbite is only a Winnipeg related issue is daft.

The majority of Canada has cool to cold winters, and cold snaps that you describe above aren't limited to Winnipeg, where the average Dec-Feb temp is between -14 to -18c. Minus 40 isn't a daily event.

Take a walk down 17th near Alpha House in Calgary, it's the same issue as you describe on Main Street.

Initiation or not in Winnipeg, Calgary and other cities have just the same problems.
You asked me to elaborate on my experiences in Winnipeg which I did ,now your saying Im daft lol.
What do you want me to say to the OP? Go to Winnipeg its fantastic ,you will have a wonderful time and never want to leave!My point is ,from my own personal experience there are better cities in Canada
Old Aug 8th 2016, 11:27 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

You asked me to elaborate on my experiences in Winnipeg which I did ,now your saying Im daft lol.
What do you want me to say to the OP? Go to Winnipeg its fantastic ,you will have a wonderful time and never want to leave!My point is ,from my own personal experience there are better cities in Canada

My point is that an anecdote about a daft old drunk getting frostbite isn't a reason not to move to Winnipeg. It's just an anecdote about a cold day, which is pretty meaningless.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

My point is that an anecdote about a daft old drunk getting frostbite isn't a reason not to move to Winnipeg. It's just an anecdote about a cold day, which is pretty meaningless.
Again,you asked me to give my " perspective with some facts and experiences"which I did.
Also I checked on Winnipeg | The Homeless Hub and Winnipeg has almost double(shock horror!) the amount of homeless people living on the street than Calgary does.Calgary has more homeless living in facilities but has bigger population of course.Winnipeg also has 2,100 to 2,400 people living in "hidden homelessness",Calgary no figures are given so we can say zero then
Old Aug 9th 2016, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I think RICH is indirectly trying to say that perhaps Winnipeg in reality isn't as bad as you're perceiving it to be. It does have some good points to it, it's not all bad! Cities are cities, wherever you go in the world and any individual (I'm not talking about you) who thinks a particular city is a utopia is someone who needs to get out more. There are social issues wherever you go in the world, the only thing that changes is the 'flavour' depending on where.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 1:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I got frostbite in Winnipeg once.

I got flashed by a pervert in Calgary once.

Avoid both, OP!!! Winnipeg is full of cold and Calgary is full of perverts (well, based on MY personal experiences anyway).
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I got frostbite in Winnipeg once.

I got flashed by a pervert in Calgary once.
At least the cold in Winnipeg stops the flashers flashing.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
At least the cold in Winnipeg stops the flashers flashing.
Or they look like frightened turtles.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Or they look like frightened turtles.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:35 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Exactly. Shrinkage
Old Aug 9th 2016, 3:30 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I'm intrigued Dorothy, which bit(s)of you got frostbitten..?
Old Aug 9th 2016, 3:43 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I'm intrigued Dorothy, which bit(s)of you got frostbitten..?
Let's just say that I'm not a flasher.

It was my toes.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Winnipeg also has 2,100 to 2,400 people living in "hidden homelessness",Calgary no figures are given so we can say zero then
I'd argue that not keeping figures or not publicising them does not mean the figure is automatically zero.

I have actually read a lot of nice things about Winnipeg but it is good to read a contrasting view.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

heatherguthrie is an unknown quantity at this point

Move here because you want to, not because of being sold on the idea by misrepresented facts.
Sure okay just having a laugh.