Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live? Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton

Where to live? Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton

Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:00 am
Just Joined

4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where to live? Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton

OK - my first post so please be gentle.

We are visiting in August on a fact finding mission (sounds very James Bond putting it that way)

Out of all the places to choose from we've decided on Alberta and are now facing the choice of Edmonton or Calgary - our trip in August will be spent in Edmonton, Calgary and Banff. We know the general overview of each town and have read loads on the net.

Like most people hoping to move we spend hours looking at houses on the web.....but what it doesn't tell you is where not to move......you know where are the "Jasmine Allen" parts of Edmonton and Calgary?? Hopefully someone on here will have seen The Bill on TV at some point and know that I'm referring to less desirable areas you'd want to live.

Does anyone have any advice.....???

Can I also say - Thank God a forum with a spell checker to use before submitting your reply - Excellent
Old Jun 12th 2006, 5:10 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4breezers
OK - my first post so please be gentle.

We are visiting in August on a fact finding mission (sounds very James Bond putting it that way)

Out of all the places to choose from we've decided on Alberta and are now facing the choice of Edmonton or Calgary - our trip in August will be spent in Edmonton, Calgary and Banff. We know the general overview of each town and have read loads on the net.

Like most people hoping to move we spend hours looking at houses on the web.....but what it doesn't tell you is where not to move......you know where are the "Jasmine Allen" parts of Edmonton and Calgary?? Hopefully someone on here will have seen The Bill on TV at some point and know that I'm referring to less desirable areas you'd want to live.

Does anyone have any advice.....???

Can I also say - Thank God a forum with a spell checker to use before submitting your reply - Excellent
OK in Calgary
Most will people will say avoid the North East (we all have different reasons).
I'll add avoid Forest lawn, Erinwoods and surrounding areas in the South East.

If you want to live with the expats try Chapparal area, Sundance, Somerset\Evergreen\Bridlewood, Tuscany\Rocky Ridge\Arbor Lake (the only lake Community in the North West)\Royal Oak.

Cant advise on Edmonton.

And you wont (unless you work\own a business in Banff) be allowed to live in Banff.
Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future4breezers has a brilliant future

Thanks for the help. It makes it easier when looking at houses and deciding how much money we will need to buy etc.

We weren't planning on living in Banff - that's just a fun bit of the trip to keep the kids happy.

Thanks again
Old Jun 12th 2006, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

nipperdog is on a distinguished road

In Edmonton, and only going off what friends in Canada have told me, the south west is best followed by South East. West Ed is a bit industrial. North is a bit rough. This is a very rough guide!! lol at your Jasmine Allen comment.