Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live? Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton

Where to live? Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton

Old Jun 1st 2006, 2:49 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live? Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Then try Harrison Hot Springs (for the beach)/Chilliwack (corn field/mountains) area of BC.
That's my turf...... the BC picture has to be looking east off Prest Rd.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

happylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant futurehappylandings has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by matts_99
I ws quite suprised to read this about Edmonton. I live in the Old Strathcona area, a few blocks from Whyte Ave, and find the city far from being quiet. I have 8 theatre companies, numerous live music venues and lots of pubs and clubs in the area. With 50,000 people out on Whyte celebrating the Oilers win on saturday it could be said that things got a bit too lively!

Edmonton is often overlooked in favour of the other 3, and I am bias because I live here, but it is well worth a look. If not then try and be here for the fringe festival in August, which is fantastic.
Well said, Matts 99. We have friends who've lived in Edmonton 18 years and love it. Their kids grew up there with pools, theatres, sports facilities, shopping, Road to the Rockies - ski trips with school etc. It's all there.
People who don't live in a given location, form opinions about it, or pick up mush in the press about a particular aspect and it sticks.

Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 4:21 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
Going off what you've said, you may find Edmonton a bit on the quiet side as its not as "happening" as the other 3. It has a nickname od "Deadmonton".............but it is a pleasant city. Lovely river valley.
I grant you that Edmonton is quieter than Toronto and Vancouver, but I don't believe it's quieter than Calgary. It could be argued that Edmonton's cultural scene is more vibrant than Calgary's, but I believe that, at a minimum, Edmonton is the equal of Calgary from the point of view of entertainment and culture. I have never lived in Edmonton, but have several friends who have lived in both cities. I've heard many opinions to the effect that Edmonton has more cultural events than Calgary. Several people who know both cities say, "Calgary has been improving in recent years and is starting to catch up to Edmonton when it comes to culture."

Perhaps Edmontonians call their city Deadmonton till they move to Calgary and realise what a good thing they actually had in Edmonton.

I'm not complaining about Calgary's cultural scene. There is enough theatre and music here to satisfy my needs. I'm just defending Edmonton against the charge that it is quieter than Calgary.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 4:23 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happylandings
People who don't live in a given location, form opinions about it, or pick up mush in the press about a particular aspect and it sticks.
That does happen on this forum. However, R2D2, the person to whom matt_99 was responding, actually does live in Edmonton.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 4:26 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
That does happen on this forum. However, R2D2, the person to whom matt_99 was responding, actually does live in Edmonton.
Well TECHNICALLY she doesn't.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 4:40 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Just as well you didn't move to Bragg Creek, eh, or we could have disowned you too.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 4:47 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Just as well you didn't move to Bragg Creek, eh, or we could have disowned you too.
Now Judy what have I done for you to wish that on me!!!
BUT I have to say in all seriousness I would agree about 'culture' in Edmonton.
On my (infrequent) trips north it does seem a little less 'redneck' than Calgary.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 8:53 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by happylandings
Well said, Matts 99. We have friends who've lived in Edmonton 18 years and love it. Their kids grew up there with pools, theatres, sports facilities, shopping, Road to the Rockies - ski trips with school etc. It's all there.

Cheers
You've got me wrong. I really like Edmonton, we live in the wonderful Sherwood Park 20 mins from the city and find there are tons and tons of things to do. My original comments were comparing the "downtowns" of the cities discussed. Yes, Whyte Ave in Edm is the hub of culture and nightlife in Edm, but its away from Downtown. They are trying very hard to attract people back into the heart of the city, as Whyte Ave and WEM, are a little out, and thus the downtown has suffered (or not, depending on how you like it), with a lack of hustle and bustle.

I jump to the defense of Edm too and it is truly a great place to live, but I was merely pointing out to the OP that the downtown is probably the quieter of the 4 discussed, and between me and hub, we have been to all 4 of them.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 9:04 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

I thought I felt my ears burning today....................now I know why.

I don't consider myself an Edmontonian....................but very fond of the city. Looks beautiful at the mo, with the trees in full bloom in the river valley.
Very proud of where we live now I'm showing my folks around Sherwood Park AND Edmonton. XX
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Wild George will become famous soon enoughWild George will become famous soon enough

S'cuse me, but am I missing something here????
If I am, please forgive me..its because I'm a Creeker
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 2:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wild George
S'cuse me, but am I missing something here????
If I am, please forgive me..its because I'm a Creeker
LOL
WG check my early postings
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Wild George will become famous soon enoughWild George will become famous soon enough

Now Judy what have I done for you to wish that on me!!!
BUT I have to say in all seriousness I would agree about 'culture' in Edmonton.
On my (infrequent) trips north it does seem a little less 'redneck' than Calgary.

Well Butchie baby I am shocked at that one!!
There was me all set to arrange a bit of a 'Do'..inviting a few Expats to enjoy a few beers and lots of cider with our newest expat neighbours (Fishers) and then Why ??? ...I quite liked your witty retorts until now..whats wrong with where I live..am I not 'happnin' enough???
We've got tons of culture Butch..The Snowbirds put on a performance of Beauty and the Beast recently and I'll have you know that a real live Johnie Cash impersonator is coming to the community center this July!!!!
I think I might pretend to live somewhere else..somewhere like Tuscany.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 3:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wild George
Well Butchie baby I am shocked at that one!!
There was me all set to arrange a bit of a 'Do'..inviting a few Expats to enjoy a few beers and lots of cider with our newest expat neighbours (Fishers) and then Why ??? ...I quite liked your witty retorts until now..whats wrong with where I live..am I not 'happnin' enough???
We've got tons of culture Butch..The Snowbirds put on a performance of Beauty and the Beast recently and I'll have you know that a real live Johnie Cash impersonator is coming to the community center this July!!!!
I think I might pretend to live somewhere else..somewhere like Tuscany.
Which bit you shocked at George old mate?

I love Calgary, I'd live here over (almost) anywhere in the world never mind Canada. I was merely expressing the view that (on the surface at least) Edmonton is less 'redneck' than Calgary.

Anyway if theres an invite let me know..................
Old Jun 4th 2006, 3:58 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

The so-called "rednecks" have been associated with political conservatism in Canada and Alberta. Calgary is definately more politically conservative than Edmonton. On the other hand, on average, Calgarians have higher incomes and are more highly educated than Edmontonians. Edmonton is rather blue-collar whereas Calgary is more white-collar with a large number of corporate head offices. Yet Edmonton's University of Alberta is among Canada's top educational institutions and the city has other important research institutions.

Nothwithstanding the above, sweeping generalizations about the people of Edmonton, Calgary or Alberta amount to an oversimplication regarding these communities. There is more variation within each city itself that there is between Calgary and Edmonton.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mary
OK, this has probably been answered a countless times (but I have gone up to page 17 and can't see it!). I am a chartered accountant and have interviews in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. I have never been to Canada and won't get to go until I finally move. I used to live in London and now live in the caribbean.. So, in your wise opinion, where should I live? I am 26, and moving with my fiance (who will be my husband by the time we move). We like going out for nice meals, nice scenary (which we never got in London), somewhere where maybe we could live in a nice house outside the city and commute in (can this be done, or do most people live in the City?), ahh so many questions!!
Finally, what kind of hours do you think I am expected to work in a Big 4 office? I had friends who moved to Big 4 in the states, and are working 15 hour days and weekends.. I would prefer to avoid this..
Thank you all soo much!!

We are currently in the UK going thru our PR forms etc. My Husband is a Chartered Accountant and we are considering Calgary as alot of big firms are there.

By the way did you use a specific agency to get your job in Canada or have you transferred via your company ? What about any Reciprocity exams to converts your british ACA to a Canadian CA ?

Any info you have would be great as we are just starting out on our journey.

Thanks Gaynor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.