Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Canada

Where to live in Canada

Old Oct 13th 2020, 10:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Canada

Originally Posted by DMajor
You get bikers in Port Dover most weekends when the weather is good, not just on Friday 13th.
I was there a couple of weeks ago and even with the beach closed there was around 200-250
Not sure what the attraction is, they just seem to hang around Tim Horton's parking lot
You get tourists (like me) every week during the good weather, not just bikers.. it's a bit like a 'seaside town' of old on a small scale, lol... it's a very popular place
Many 'bikers' belong to touring groups and like to get out when they can, PD is one of the places to break the journey - or to pootle off in little groups, down to the water and for dinner at The Beach House - or a stop along the way going to Turkey Point and one of the bars along the waterfront there

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 13th 2020 at 10:09 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Jsmith ..

re your tag line ...

It takes more than eating pasta and saving pennies to buy a house in Vancouver.
Don't laugh at the comment I made about us saving pennies and eating a lot of spaghetti back then.

OH still empties his pockets every night of all coins ............ nickels, dimes, loonies and toonies (plus pennies once upon a time). Then he deposits them in a bank account every now and again.

He saves between $2,000 and $4,000 EVERY year doing that ........ and that includes both of us raiding the stack if we need to have coins of any denomination for some reason.
Old Nov 10th 2020, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Budgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are thinking of Ontario, check out the GTA districts. You'll get move bang for your buck when it comes to housing. Try the North/west side of Toronto. If you plan on working in the city, make sure you're near the Go train link.
All the best
Old Nov 11th 2020, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ramram49
We’ve been living for the last 11 years just outside of Edmonton and have got to a point where my wife and I plus one teen want to move.

have found it extremely difficult to get a social network that’s more than just the smile and wave brigade, and only have two friends (both Brit couples) that resemble anything close to what we had back home. We are British and became Cad citizens in 2020.

so, where would you recommend in Ontario, BC, or on the East coast?
I would gently suggest that you break down further what sort of social contacts you're looking for, and where (and in what context), you've been looking for them, in Canada. And, look at how you came across those Brit couple friends, and on what basis (e.g. which common interests) those friendships have thrived, yet failed to branch out further.

Because, you and your family don't seem to have soured on Canada per se (or this would be a different sort of thread, all about returning to the UK). And yet, you collectively seem to have soured on the social opportunities (Brit-centric or otherwise) in your current location, without describing what might make some alternate location a better choice for all of you.

It's important for you and your family to do that (for your own sakes at least), before you just move again, and lather, rinse, repeat...

Last edited by abner; Nov 11th 2020 at 12:38 am.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 12:20 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ramram49
We’ve been living for the last 11 years just outside of Edmonton and have got to a point where my wife and I plus one teen want to move.

have found it extremely difficult to get a social network that’s more than just the smile and wave brigade, and only have two friends (both Brit couples) that resemble anything close to what we had back home. We are British and became Cad citizens in 2020.

so, where would you recommend in Ontario, BC, or on the East coast?
I've heard the East Coast is ridiculously friendly but I've never been.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Vancouver has the reputation for being a not so welcoming city and difficult to make friends, so you may want to avoid Vancouver region.

I found people in Ontario a lot friendlier compared to BC though, at least in the smaller communities within 1-2 hours of Toronto, I never lived in the Toronto area so not sure how Toronto compares.
Toronto is overbuilt, ugly and expensive but it's a decent place for meeting people.

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Burlington has lots of Brits and Brit social events (there's about 3 Brit FB groups for Burlington and surrounding areas, lol) - on the water.. lots of pubs, restaurants, festivals, it's a nice town.
Hamilton - where I currently live, have found people to be friendly, a City with a smaller town feel in parts (it's spread out, but not like Toronto), lots to do and see (there's a wiki about it)
Dundas - close by and again, friendly people, nice little town, my 2nd choice of places to move to

Port Dover I absolutely love and would like to move to - but prices have gone through the roof.. the people I have met there have been super friendly.
Port Rowan, lovely little town on the water

To determine a place to live you need to decide what is important to you - what you like and what you like to do, what you dislike... do you want to be in a smaller City / Town.. somewhere with lots of pubs / restaurants / parks / open space / water / sports / etc. and of course, where can you find work!

If the OP's goal is to meet other Brit's why not move to Britain?? I always find it odd here when Brit's want to see British TV, Eat British food and meet other Brits- there is a counter productiveness to moving to Canada that I simply don't get. The true path to happiness in Canada is assimilation.

The being said Burlington is a nice place.

Ultimately as pointed out you need to think about work and lifestyle. I don't know much about Edmonton other than it's a little boring- I do think your cost of living there (particularly real estate) is much cheaper than Vancouver and Toronto.