Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live???

Where to live???

Old Nov 11th 2016, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to live???

Just asking for some initial advice please .

We currently live in a very rural area 40 mins from London.

Currently looking at the possibilities of moving to Canada but looking for advice of areas to look at to live.

My husband is a head chef so would need to be in an area where work is nearby but don't want to be in a city! We have dogs and love outdoor life but would preferable not want anywhere too cold if that's possible!!

Our kids are 18,14 and 13 so they wouldn't want to be too isolated. It's already a headache!

If anyone can give me a heads up with some ideas for me to start looking, I would be very grateful !!
Old Nov 11th 2016, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live???

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Just asking for some initial advice please .

We currently live in a very rural area 40 mins from London.

Currently looking at the possibilities of moving to Canada but looking for advice of areas to look at to live.

My husband is a head chef so would need to be in an area where work is nearby but don't want to be in a city! We have dogs and love outdoor life but would preferable not want anywhere too cold if that's possible!!

Our kids are 18,14 and 13 so they wouldn't want to be too isolated. It's already a headache!

If anyone can give me a heads up with some ideas for me to start looking, I would be very grateful !!
Hmm...Vancouver Island never gets really too cold.

The often maligned 'south shore' of Nova Scotia? Not too cold, not too hot.

Niagara area and the area near Leamington, Ontario has many wineries that now often have restaurants attached that could be the workplace for your husband.

If you look online at 'foodie' type destinations that aren't in cities you may find somewhere.

Isn't being allowed to move here in terms of emigration going to be the key thing?

Try and stay away from small town canada that is in a lower income area (northern Ontario, the non-coastal bits of the maritimes). The natives tend to like things deep fried and the sign of a good restaurant are the belly busting size servings.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - thanks so much

Yes of course actually getting the right to move is certainly the key here, but just getting ideas at this stage as unless we find somewhere to live that is perfect (which I am sure we will), there is not much point in going for the visa.

We want to fly out a couple of times to have a look at places, way of life etc etc before we decide to go for it.

Appreciate your help and I will look into those places for sure.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Also might want to consider the Okanagan valley in British Columbia
Old Nov 11th 2016, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
Thanks . I was just looking online at BC too. It all looks lovely. We will be heading out soon to hve a look. The other problem is finding a good school when we don't know where we want to be but one step at a time!

We are in a fortunate position to be able to buy a nice property up to 850000 CAD outright so will be interesting to see what we can get for that amount and where.

Anyhow , I shall enjoy the weekend doing lots of research. Thanks again
Old Nov 11th 2016, 3:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just a heads up, the current age limit for a dependent child is 18, your son won't be able to go on your visa application after that age. You'll need to get a wiggle on if you want him to be able to accompany you on your visa app and apply before he turns 19, particularly if your husband needs a job offer to get a visa (as most do).

HTH.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just a heads up, the current age limit for a dependent child is 18, your son won't be able to go on your visa application after that age. You'll need to get a wiggle on if you want him to be able to accompany you on your visa app and apply before he turns 19, particularly if your husband needs a job offer to get a visa (as most do).

HTH.
Yep, that's another issue. I am looking in to whether he could get out there on a student visa as he is currently at college and wants to go into further education after that and to also see, if that were possible, would he be able to gain permanent residency on the assumption that we did.

I don't know how anyone perseveres with immigrating ! I am only at the beginning of it and I want to give up already !
Old Nov 11th 2016, 5:24 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that's another issue. I am looking in to whether he could get out there on a student visa as he is currently at college and wants to go into further education after that and to also see, if that were possible, would he be able to gain permanent residency on the assumption that we did.

I don't know how anyone perseveres with immigrating ! I am only at the beginning of it and I want to give up already !
Look at the costs too, he would be on international fees, a lot more than domestic.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 5:27 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
I would definitely agree with this suggestion. It sounds as if we have just what you are after and would help us out, decent food is a bit lacking here and we need something nice to wash down with the great local wines

Last edited by Stinkypup; Nov 11th 2016 at 5:30 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

!
No, he wouldn't automatically get PR just from studying in Canada - best thing to do is get him to take the eligibility test on the CIC website to see what it says (answering as if he has studied in Canada). If it says he qualifies for Express Entry, then he'll need to see what he's scoring on the CRS, it's unlikely to be enough without a job offer, but you never know. And of course, things may well have changed in a few years time by the time he's got a degree, but at least it would give him an idea. There's also the IEC visa for those aged 30 or under, which would give him a 2 year temp work permit if you decide not to go down the route of a study permit.

Or, hopefully you'll get a PR application in before he turns 19, in which case he's sorted (age is locked in at the time of application). And there is a possibility that the age limit will be increased, although who knows when that will happen.

It's been 4 years according to your profile - that's not the beginning! Or did you mean the beginning of looking at Canada?

Emigration certainly isn't for the faint hearted. It's hassle, a lot of paperwork, most families will spend at least £25-30k on the process, and you do really have to want it to be prepared to see it though. But if you love Canada, and want to live there, then it's worth it and hopefully you'll make it. :fingers crossed:

Good luck.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 6:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

They have proposed making changes to the regulations in the autumn of 2017, taking the age of dependents back up to 'under 22' (and older if in full time education), so you may be ok!

Canada Gazette – Regulations Amending the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (Age of Dependent Children)

Old Nov 11th 2016, 6:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Prince Edward County. It's foodiefied.

For that money you could start your own restaurant.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

It's a lot easier before having kids or when the kids are very young. My wife and I made 3 big moves - once before kids and then twice when they were pre-school age. It's typically harder the older the kids are.

If you want to be outdoors without it being too cold and within striking distance of a major city, then somewhere outside Vancouver would seem like a good bet.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd of thought your name would be a good prognostication of your future.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 8:03 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'd of thought your name would be a good prognostication of your future.
Regina...really?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.