Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live?

Where to live?

Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live?

Originally Posted by Alvic
Mike - I think its you who needs the glasses as Im quite sure the word "white" appears two words before "Upper Middle Class". At least this si the way we spell it in Northern Ireland - perhaps that is not the case in Montreal. I happen to think DBD is a great asset to this forum as he is funny/witty and very helpful and unlike others has a good sense of humour.
This is really pathetic. There is no mention of Whites.

So your assignment today is to sit in the back of the class and write out 10,000 times 'I need to pay attention to what Howard writes, not what I think he writes'.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
This is really pathetic. There is no mention of Whites.

So your assignment today is to sit in the back of the class and write out 10,000 times 'I need to pay attention to what Howard writes, not what I think he writes'.

Could you please deconstruct the following phrase for us:

"Ethnic diversity does not exist in these areas"

?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
1. "ethnic diversity" describes people of various colours. Thus touting a neighbourhood as lacking it implies that neighbourhood is populated by white people. It's quite simple really, no imagination required.

2. Canada lacks class. There are richer and poorer neighbourhoods but Upper Middle Class is a reference to a system that doesn't quite apply; who are the aristocracy (save Conrad Black) in Canada?

The whole Howard claim for Leaside is bonkers in conflating affluence and social status and doubly so because Leaside aint that white anyway; I even know a Newfie who lives there.
Well dbd that is your interpretation. At least to your credit, and unlike your buddy alvic, you are not putting words in Howard's mouth.

Last edited by montreal mike; Jul 26th 2007 at 12:42 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:00 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

I though Newfies were White, and if any of you were even vaguely conscious of TO, Leaside is often referred to IN THE NEWSPAPERS as Lily White
Leaside, their words , not mine.

We know that Newfie, he has over 100 Gnome Lawn ornaments.

Ethic Diversity does not exist in China Town, or Little Italy, or Little Portugal, or Greek Town, or, or , or.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
I though Newfies were White, and if any of you were even vaguely conscious of TO, Leaside is often referred to IN THE NEWSPAPERS as Lily White
Leaside, their words , not mine.

We know that Newfie, he has over 100 Gnome Lawn ornaments.

Ethic Diversity does not exist in China Town, or Little Italy, or Little Portugal, or Greek Town, or, or , or.
"White" is a cultural construct, refer "How The Irish Became White" by Noel Ignatiev.

I've never seen the term Lily White Leaside, have you a citation?

I think all the areas mentioned are culturally diverse though, of course, they are areas where people of one ethnicity dominate. Am I being unfair in characterising your position as being that Leaside is mainly populated by white people and so it's better than places that are not?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:27 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olderman
Is this the thread that I started? It seems to have wandered off in another direction.
Would those people that want to argue about racism please start their own thread.
I just want to talk about good places to live and especially very specific places with a bit of green and academically good schools.

Everyone will have their own feeing about why a particular place is good or not. They are welcome to express their views whether I or anyone else likes it or not. Jews, Wops, kikes, wasps, niggers, wetbacks, are all welcome. Me, I'm part English which part oppressed and starved another part of me which is Irish, both being driven by oppression from their homelands where they came to America and got knocked up by some dirty little native, a third part of me, and they all got together and discriminated against the jews who proceeded to marry into the family, a forth part of me.

I will not be insulted by someone who thinks I should live in an all white or an all indian community. Lets just talk about the communities and the schools and the traffic, and the green space, and take the racism discussions somewhere else.
Thanks,
Dale
Sorry please forgive us...this actually happens a lot on here...we wander off from the main topic. So have you came up with any ideas yet as where to settle.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:33 pm

Looks like you need an extra pair of glasses because I see no mention of white people. Put diplomatically, you have an overactive imagination. Just the sort of poster a forum such as this needs.

Indeed there was mention of Upper Middle Class. Reality check: There are such neighbourhoods in every city and if one can afford to live there well that is plus.
As the tone of this thread is getting worse I dedided to re read and see why we are all getting so hot headed. I see it is actually dbd that has added the word white to Howards post and was not in the original post so I apologise for reading this incorrectly.

At the start I thought Howard meant that it was a bad thing to have ethnic diversity but perhaps this is also incorrect - I am not afraid to admit I was wrong and apologise if this was the case.

Sorry Olderman for going back on to this topic again but I dont like people to think I am a racist or just being argumentative as i am not like that at all.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

As the tone of this thread is getting worse I dedided to re read and see why we are all getting so hot headed. I see it is actually dbd that has added the word white to Howards post and was not in the original post so I apologise for reading this incorrectly.

At the start I thought Howard meant that it was a bad thing to have ethnic diversity but perhaps this is also incorrect - I am not afraid to admit I was wrong and apologise if this was the case.

Sorry Olderman for going back on to this topic again but I dont like people to think I am a racist or just being argumentative as i am not like that at all.
good ole Howard didn't state a preference one way or the other. If he has any firm views on the topic well he ain't saying. dbd made a few appearances with predictable results. I didn't for a moment think you, alvic, were racist. I don't see how anybody could. I luv this forum. Great place to get all excited all over nothing!

Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fact is that good ole Howard didn't state a preference one way or the other. If he has any firm views on the topic well, guess what, he ain't saying.

dbd made a few appearances with predictable results.

I didn't for a moment think you, alvic, were racist. I don't see how anybody could. I luv this forum. Great place to get excited all over nothing!

Last edited by montreal mike; Jul 26th 2007 at 4:49 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:48 pm

fact is that good ole Howard didn't state a preference one way or the other. If he has any firm views on the topic well, guess what, he ain't saying. dbd made a few appearances with predictable results. I didn't for a moment think you, alvic, were racist. I dont see how anybody could. I luv this forum. Great pace to get all excited all over nothing!

Did you post this twice just to make sure I got the picture??
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you Howards brother?
Possibly the half brother.

Our Mums were next door neighbours some 55 years ago and we had the same milkman!

Buthe topic of our patenity was verboten in both our houses so I guess we shall never know.

Last edited by montreal mike; Jul 26th 2007 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Fact is that good ole Howard didn't state a preference one way or the other.
I think he expressed that preference. I asked him if it was unfair to infer that he did. He hasn't responded.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:11 pm

Possibly the half brother.

Our Mums were next door neighbours some 55 years ago and we had the same milkman!

Buthe topic of our patenity was verboten in both our houses so I guess we shall never know.

Ahhhh..now that explains a lot
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did you post this twice just to make sure I got the picture??
No. I was trying to fix some typos. All innocent really.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 6:58 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

dbd, I didn't respond because I am pruning an old Apple Tree that hasn't been touched in years, I can't spend all my time here.

I am 100% certain my First Grandchild will be Eurasian, I am part Asian, Canada is a land of Immigrants, and I personally prefer an area where no one single group dominates.

I landed in Leaside uknowlingly, My Wife bought all our homes, and we were more concerned with proximity to Down Town for her, and proximity to the boy's Private School.

Pockets of TO have larger representations from specific areas, I went to Parkdale Collegiate, at that time predominantly Ukrainian and other East Europeans, I was definitely made to feel like an Outsider.

I now live in a community with the average age of almost 60, almost 100% white, except for the Mexican Migrant Workers, just the way it is, older Canadians were predominantly from Europe originally.

Those that mind don't matter, those that matter , don't mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.