Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to get a cheap notebook PC?

Where to get a cheap notebook PC?

Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to get a cheap notebook PC?

Originally Posted by R I C H
I beg to differ - mine's been a POS since day 1, and a number of colleagues have suffered problems too (all hardware related). They're all Latitude D620's.

In just over a year, I'm on my 3rd motherboard, 2nd set of speakers, 2nd screen and 2nd hard drive.

Warranty has been good and always resolved things, but I've spent several working days in total talking to customer support, and been without the machine for several weeks at a time.
What he said.

I have had three Dell desktops the most recent purchased last March, it is the worst of the three and the customer service was atrocious compared with previous purchases.

I don't consider it my "job" to spend 45 minutes plus on the phone with a so called service tech trouble shooting their machine. That's what in home "service" is supposed to be for, not to just show up with the parts and replace them.

Prior to purchasing this one I didn't hesitate to recommend Dell, now I'll NEVER buy another one.:curse::curse:
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

What about Toshiba? They used to have a great reputation?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
What about Toshiba? They used to have a great reputation?
We have a Toshiba laptop had it five years now.

Never had a problem with it.

Was told on a photo forum when I asked about a robust laptop for traveling and saving photo's to, that the Toshiba's where pretty well bullet proof. That seems to have been true.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Was told on a photo forum when I asked about a robust laptop for traveling and saving photo's to, that the Toshiba's where pretty well bullet proof. That seems to have been true.
I know someone who dropped his Toshiba off the roof of a building while he was doing maintenance up there, and it still worked afterwards; though that was in the days before hard disks were normal laptop equipment.

My girlfriend has one that's about seven years old with no problems other than obsolescence (e.g. the wireless card is incompatible with the wireless network in our house).

As for bullet-proof, there was apparently a company that used to demonstrate its servers by emptying a Colt .45 into them while they were running, but I don't know of any laptops quite that robust .
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:39 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

my toshiba tablet has survived nearly two years in a science lab with nowt more than a few scratches on the top. Rugged is probably a good word , it aint light but it does everything I want , with another half gig of memory i suspect it would be even better.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

and I just keep banging on about costco.ca
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
and I just keep banging on about costco.ca
....where the cheapest notebook is over a grand...double what I want to spend.

Thought I had found a deal on a toshiba for $600...but it was sold out. Still looking
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Staples have a flier out with two Toshiba laptops - one for $699 and the other $799. Mind you, it doesnt mention an operating system so perhaps that is extra. What about tigerdirect.ca?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Personaly, I wouldn't touch a toshiba with a barge pole. I had one and the radiation from the screen gave me a face rash. A friend had loads of pimples and his face cleared up after dumping the Toshiba. I had heard stories like these before I got mine and never believed them. Big mistake.

Great computers, they are, but I don't trust the screen.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Never heard of that before? How can it be any worse than a regular LCR monitor...or any other laptop for that matter

So much EMI regulation now I would have thought it virtually impossible for any sort of harmfull radiation to be an issue?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:42 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Still looking
Have you tried Ebay?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I had a look. Nothing jumped out as extraordinary good value in my price range to compensate for the $60+ shipping from the US, and the lack of sensible waranty provision. I'll keep checking back though thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Personaly, I wouldn't touch a toshiba with a barge pole. I had one and the radiation from the screen gave me a face rash. A friend had loads of pimples and his face cleared up after dumping the Toshiba. I had heard stories like these before I got mine and never believed them. Big mistake.

Great computers, they are, but I don't trust the screen.

A quick Google search indicates LCD monitors do not emit radiation they use a fluorescent lamp to back light the liquid crystals.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm expecting Bazzz and Novo our resident scourges of 'fake science' to spring into action momentarily.................
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'm expecting Bazzz and Novo our resident scourges of 'fake science' to spring into action momentarily.................
I'm off to make some popcorn then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.