Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where Do You Want To Relocate To

Where Do You Want To Relocate To

Old Aug 26th 2006, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where Do You Want To Relocate To

Wouldn't it be great if the people still waiting to get over to Canada had a place where they can ask questions regarding their choice of place. If I didn't know the town where we are going then I would not have known where to start.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

drwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nice
Default Re: Where Do You Want To Relocate To

Well our intendedplace of residence is Whistler, BC. Fortunately for us it's somewhere we have been to many times and we have made a few friends over there in the last 5 years. Our biggest issue was trying to work out how we could afford a property there on likely incomes and still afford to eat!!
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drwoodsy
Well our intendedplace of residence is Whistler, BC. Fortunately for us it's somewhere we have been to many times and we have made a few friends over there in the last 5 years. Our biggest issue was trying to work out how we could afford a property there on likely incomes and still afford to eat!!
Thanks for replying.

We are going to settle in Lethbridge Alberta. Hubby has a job just waiting for LMO etc. We have been visiting this area for about 17 years so are well prepared for our move - have had a long time to think about it and nenarly went 13 years ago - damn wish we had as well!!

Just think it would be a great idea if BE's could get to know people in areas to help them if you know what i mean - not everyone is as comfortable with our relocation choices.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

drwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Thanks for replying.

We are going to settle in Lethbridge Alberta. Hubby has a job just waiting for LMO etc. We have been visiting this area for about 17 years so are well prepared for our move - have had a long time to think about it and nenarly went 13 years ago - damn wish we had as well!!

Just think it would be a great idea if BE's could get to know people in areas to help them if you know what i mean - not everyone is as comfortable with our relocation choices.
We have some family in Calgary who lived in Lethbridge for a couple of years and I seem to remember that they enjoyed their time there. It definitely helps to get to know both the people and the area outside of just a few weeks holiday but this is not that easy to do for everyone.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:00 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

People often do ask where is a good place to move to ..... and I'm afraid it often meets with a certain amount of derision, Canada being such a huge and diverse place.

However, if people can list what sorts of things are high on their list of priorites then you usually get somebody with a few ideas.

If somebody has a question about a certain area or town etc, then anyone who has personal experience ( and many who don't! ) will usually be prepared to reply. It's the "What's Canada like?" type questions that normally elicit a less than helpful response.

I think this forum already answers most people's questions fairly well, but one is encouraged to make some effort to find out about places rather than having it handed to them on a plate. And after all, one man's meat is another's poison, so eventually it has to be a personal decision.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:14 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for replying.

When we were looking at emigrating we had never been to Canada. In fact Hubbys first trip over was when we were getting info together and I didn't come over til the application was in!!!!

Hubby decided on Ontario (GTA) based on a guide book and up until March 2005 that is where we were headed. However the job opportunity we thought Hubby had never came to anything so in October 2005 we came out to Calgary. All it took was me landing at the airport and seeing the Rockies to know that this is where I want to be.

People may think we are completely mad (at times I even think we are) We have no ties in Canada whatsoever but are so glad we made the move.

My best advice to people is visit as many places as you can (the wait is long enough!!!) and get a feel for them. As Morw said Canada is so diverse that you cannot generalise.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:22 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose we sort of did it backwards. When we visited Calgary we had not (since 1987 anyway) been thinking of emigrating to Canada. We just came and fell in love with the place and decided we wanted to live here.

We haven't been anywhere else, and I expect there are othe rplaces we might like, but we love it here!
Old Sep 4th 2006, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Kipling is a jewel in the roughKipling is a jewel in the roughKipling is a jewel in the roughKipling is a jewel in the rough

[Hi we went over to Nova Scotia in June , it was our first visit to Canada. A friend had recently been over and bought a house and we did the same. We used the advice off this forum and we would have not succeeded without the help and support of its members.We are now in the never ending waiting list to come over to Canada, we are :scared: dying to get back to Nova Scotia and brave the weather in December
Old Sep 4th 2006, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Wouldn't it be great if the people still waiting to get over to Canada had a place where they can ask questions regarding their choice of place. If I didn't know the town where we are going then I would not have known where to start.
I think, right now, I'd be happy to go anywhere. One perspective is that you are getting out of England!
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

We are heading to Westlock Alberta. Don't know where that is, you surprise me. Its a vast 1 horse town about 1hr out of Edmonton .
Our friends moved there about 5 years ago and love the sense of community. I love the cost of the houses compared to Edmonton and the fact that it is between Athabasca (wife's work) and Edmonton (my work). It is also a requirement to residence that you buy a truck
Stuarty
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:33 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
People often do ask where is a good place to move to ..... and I'm afraid it often meets with a certain amount of derision, Canada being such a huge and diverse place.

However, if people can list what sorts of things are high on their list of priorites then you usually get somebody with a few ideas.

If somebody has a question about a certain area or town etc, then anyone who has personal experience ( and many who don't! ) will usually be prepared to reply. It's the "What's Canada like?" type questions that normally elicit a less than helpful response.

I think this forum already answers most people's questions fairly well, but one is encouraged to make some effort to find out about places rather than having it handed to them on a plate. And after all, one man's meat is another's poison, so eventually it has to be a personal decision.

I'm sorry but replies like that are less than helpful and often come across with a sting - if you don't want to give a helpful answer then just pass the thread by.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 4:43 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I'm sorry but replies like that are less than helpful and often come across with a sting - if you don't want to give a helpful answer then just pass the thread by.
So if someone asks "What is Canada like?" how are you supposed to answer? If you have no clue as to where the person would like to go or what their preferences are how on earth can you give them a helpful answer.

I think that some responsibility to research Canada and where they might want to live, lies with the person wanting to come here.

Sorry but I see nothing wrong with Morwenna's post.

Regards
Steve
Old Sep 4th 2006, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
You'd have to be a bit sensitive to take exception to Morwenna's post. I thought it was balanced and helpful.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
You'd have to be a bit sensitive to take exception to Morwenna's post. I thought it was balanced and helpful.

I agree ....... she is merely stating that you have to be more specific when asking questions about the country and also appreciate that the scope of the answers given.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

carrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sinope
Sorry but i dont find anything wrong with Morweena's reply either. I think it makes total sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.