Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where do you stay when you land?

Where do you stay when you land?

Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:48 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where do you stay when you land?

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in ...

So where do you stay when you land, and you don't have housing sourced, and you don't have a job yet - but you don't want to/can't spend a fortune? We won't have friends or family that we can descend on.

How do you go about doing that if you don't have a job yet and they're going to want to see proof of employment in order to get a lease? Seems terrifyingly swings and roundabouts and I can't wrap my head around it.

I know most shipping places will offer storage whilst you're in limbo ... but need assistance/tips/advice on how it works logistically landing in this situation.

Help!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you stay when you land?

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC

So where do you stay when you land, and you don't have housing sourced, and you don't have a job yet - but you don't want to/can't spend a fortune? We won't have friends or family that we can descend on.

How do you go about doing that if you don't have a job yet and they're going to want to see proof of employment in order to get a lease? Seems terrifyingly swings and roundabouts and I can't wrap my head around it.

I know most shipping places will offer storage whilst you're in limbo ... but need assistance/tips/advice on how it works logistically landing in this situation.

Help!
I moved your thread to the main Canada forum as I think you are more likely to receive responses.

Initially you may want to look into short term lets, whilst you find your way around and work out 'where' you want to live. Standard leases are 12 months so you need to be sure that you will be happy there.

You should bring with you a copy of your credit history, any references you can get (bank, utilities) and proof that you have funds in the bank.

Be prepared that you may have to put down several months' rental payments (though this is not strictly legal) in order to secure a place. Be very careful though and give post-dated cheques rather than a lump sum of cash - that way you are protected somewhat. You will be required in most Provinces to pay '1st and last' months rent and possibly a deposit.

You can read more here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...gistics-Canada and on renting specifically here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Renting-Canada

You might want to use www.padmapper.com to find a place to rent - it amalgamates several different advertising websites into one.

Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Help!
A hotel or motel, B & B.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:49 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Help!
Depending on when you're planning on arriving in Canada, what we did was to rent a holiday home out of season. They are invariably fully furnished and equipped so the fact your own "stuff" is in transit shouldn't matter. We found that quite a few landlords were quite happy to consider very "modest" offers of rent. The alternative for them is that their place sits empty earning nothing. I think as well, because you are treating it as your home for a few weeks/months, you are more likely to respect it and its contents. I remember we paid less than half the out of season quoted on the website for the place we rented. Being a holiday home, it also was in a beautiful spot - with the ocean at the bottom of the garden etc...
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I've made a few moves (Toronto, Vancouver, Toronto again and finally near Washington DC). I have always stayed in a short-term, rented, furnished apartment while I found my feet and figured out where I wanted to rent longer term. It means you don't need furniture etc. right away and you give yourself time to research different neighbourhoods. On two of those occasions, I stayed in a hotel for a couple of days first while I looked at some short term rentals.

If it's short term (e.g. less than a month or monthly), you can get away without seeing the building and neighbourhood (if you are comfortable with doing that) but at least do as much research as possible beforehand to make sure you won't be in a crime-infested ghetto. I certainly wouldn't sign a long-term lease without seeing the place and the surrounding neighbourhood.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:51 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

fab thanks - yes, researching the area would be a must as I'd be leaving my hubby and 2yr old at home whilst I worked and we waited for the sponsorship app to be fully processed.

I've been looking at sublets just now as well - seems a viable short-term option.

Incentive to get that app done and in as we can't make any decisions until its off and running and we get the nod from mississauga.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

zippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nice

We found a great summer cottage for rent over winter so if you plan when you arrive you can get get a great deal, we found a 3 bed all inclusive for only 900 a month, and it wasn't the only one out there check kijiji for the area you want and you will see winter rentals - aim to arrive from September onwards and you will be fine.