Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where do you stay when visiting Rockies?

Where do you stay when visiting Rockies?

Old Oct 8th 2006, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of
Default Where do you stay when visiting Rockies?

Just thought I would ask what bargain accomodations you guys know of when touring the Rockies.

We have stayed in Canmore (a short drive from Banff) at the Bear Country Lodge (http://www.bearcountrylodge.com) and found it great. How does a family room for $49+tax a night sound? That price includes breakfast! Just be sure to stay at the front if trains are likely to wake the kids during the night, but the rooms at the back are very nice with living flame fire etc. I notice they have their "Internet Special" deal on again this Fall & Winter....you buy 1 night@$99 and get the 2nd free - hence $49 per night for a room with 2 queens, sofa bed & TV

We also took an RV to Jasper in the Summer, but I'd like to find some bargain accomodations there for the Winter if anyone knows of any.

Rob
Old Oct 8th 2006, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where do you stay when visiting Rockies?

Originally Posted by rabrol
Just thought I would ask what bargain accomodations you guys know of when touring the Rockies.

We have stayed in Canmore (a short drive from Banff) at the Bear Country Lodge (http://www.bearcountrylodge.com) and found it great. How does a family room for $49+tax a night sound? That price includes breakfast! Just be sure to stay at the front if trains are likely to wake the kids during the night, but the rooms at the back are very nice with living flame fire etc. I notice they have their "Internet Special" deal on again this Fall & Winter....you buy 1 night@$99 and get the 2nd free - hence $49 per night for a room with 2 queens, sofa bed & TV

We also took an RV to Jasper in the Summer, but I'd like to find some bargain accomodations there for the Winter if anyone knows of any.

Rob

Hello Rob

Havn't seen you on here for a long time. How is living in Alberta going for you?

Rgilbert
Old Oct 8th 2006, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rgilbert
Hello Rob

Havn't seen you on here for a long time. How is living in Alberta going for you?

Rgilbert
Alberta living is going great thanks. I've been pretty busy at work for the last few months and haven't made time to drop in on this forum. Time to change that again! Looking forward to our 1st ever Thanksgiving.

On that note, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone
Old Oct 8th 2006, 11:18 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

& to you and yours, good to hear happiness and a success story.

Rich.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:42 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Alberta living is going great thanks. I've been pretty busy at work for the last few months and haven't made time to drop in on this forum. Time to change that again! Looking forward to our 1st ever Thanksgiving.

hello, due to join EPS shortly. thats a canadian shortly of course which means after being told i'd be there by now, it'll be next may now at the earliest.
just wondering how you have found, houses, money, cost of living, pretty much everything i suppose, as with the delay having some doubt creep in. thanks rae.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rae
hello, due to join EPS shortly. thats a canadian shortly of course which means after being told i'd be there by now, it'll be next may now at the earliest.
just wondering how you have found, houses, money, cost of living, pretty much everything i suppose, as with the delay having some doubt creep in. thanks rae.
We found a house pretty quickly as when we arrived last December. For the 1st few weeks we stayed in someones basement...all 5 of us! Needless to say we were keen to get out before Christmas, and we were in a house in under 3 weeks. We found properties by looking in the local papers (actually the online versions).

The most important thing is to sort out identification & bank accounts. Get Canadian ID as quick as possible, and a bank account. From there it is pretty simple

Hope your move goes well!
Old Oct 14th 2006, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to find some bargain accomodations there for the Winter if anyone knows of any.
Have you tried Priceline? - http://www.priceline.com/ - I tend to take whatever they offer me these days, and have always been more than happy with the price and hotels.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

We went to Jasper a month ago and stayed at Pyramid Lake resort. It was only about 5 minutes outside the town of Jasper, and was a beautiful spot - right on a lake with views of Pyramid Mountain on one side. All the accommodation has fireplaces (though some are gas, not wood-burning) - nice for those chilly mountain nights! We got a pretty good price as it was just outside of the high season. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay near Jasper itself.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 4:45 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I once slept in a tunnel under a road off the Highway. Very cheap but probably a bit too rustic for most.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 7:37 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AnyaT
We went to Jasper a month ago and stayed at Pyramid Lake resort. It was only about 5 minutes outside the town of Jasper, and was a beautiful spot - right on a lake with views of Pyramid Mountain on one side. All the accommodation has fireplaces (though some are gas, not wood-burning) - nice for those chilly mountain nights! We got a pretty good price as it was just outside of the high season. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay near Jasper itself.
I agree Anya. We have stayed there twice now, and to have breakfast in the restaurant overlooking the lake is lovely.
Some of the rooms have kitchenettes, which is great when you have little ankle biters like mine.

Also, go for a canoe paddle on the lake. First thing in the morning is fab as you can hear a pin drop.

Pyramid Lake resort is nice, but if you want a bit of luxury at a decent price in Jasper, then stay at Park Place Inn. Sooooo nice, with a jacuzzi bath to die for!
Old Oct 15th 2006, 11:34 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I once slept in a tunnel under a road off the Highway. Very cheap but probably a bit too rustic for most.
Bless! .... Where did you say you wanted your food parcel addressed to m'dear?