Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where do you meet people in Vancouver?

Where do you meet people in Vancouver?

Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you meet people in Vancouver?

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I disagree. There are too many people who will just want to know how you can help them further their own careers while pretending they are interested in yours. This kind of self promotion is even worse on social networks as it's all about increasing that friend/follower count in the hope that somebody in the real media will pick it up and get your work publicity. So for networking yes, but that's not really a good way of making actual friends; although I'm sure many will pretend to be.

I don't think the OP needs to worry though. She's already got the Vancouver attitude to life and will fit right in.
Yes, you're right - some people are out there just because they want to network, but some just want to meet people. The main thing is being aware of this.
I can't say that I've met any 'friends' through social media sites (and I am quite active on them), but so far, I haven't been using these tools in order to meet friends. Am willing to give it a go once we move to Vancouver.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 8:47 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
Not sure about the weirdo bit - will need to ask around.

Gosh, don't have a dog, either. I guess it's the clubs then.

Do people use meetup.com or is that for weirdos?
Offer to walk someone else's dog.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 5:03 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I may have missed it in other posts - but what area of Van are you hoping to settle in ?
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:04 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I may have missed it in other posts - but what area of Van are you hoping to settle in ?
Coal Harbour
Old Aug 15th 2012, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Catsteve is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a facebook group called r/vancouver which my daughter Katy uses to meet up with young people. Its been really good for her since arriving a month ago and she's made some good friends already. They have various meet ups around Vancouver throughout the week, and the group mainly consists of newcomers. Message me if you want to have her details so you can hook p before hand. Good luck!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catsteve
There's a facebook group called r/vancouver which my daughter Katy uses to meet up with young people. Its been really good for her since arriving a month ago and she's made some good friends already. They have various meet ups around Vancouver throughout the week, and the group mainly consists of newcomers. Message me if you want to have her details so you can hook p before hand. Good luck!
Thank you. Will definitely be in touch once we make the move!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
We're looking at Coal Harbour for the first 6 months and then we'll see (my partner really liked the area near Grouse Mountain). His work will be in the dead centre of downtown, so he wants to be close to everything at least in the beginning. I think that location would be good for me too - will allow me to easily explore the place, find activities, clubs, etc. And eventually, meet people.