Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where do we live in BC?

Where do we live in BC?

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

christinefermer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Where do we live in BC?

My husband has got a job offer in Abbotsford. Where is the best place to live? Unfortunately, I don't drive and are use to using the bus, train or walking everywhere. We have just visited BC and I am confussed. If we live in Abbotsford or Chillawack you need a car! I don't want to be stranded at home until hubby comes home it -would drive me bananas! I need to be able to get to schools, doctors shops etc for me to survive in Canada. Any suggestions?

Do we opt for living on the outskirts of Vancouver eg Port Coquitam ? I would be near sky train etc How long would this take for my husband to commute (car) to work? Are there any other nice places that you could suggest (where I have a mountain for a view!) What are the schools like there? How expensive is it to rent? How expensive is it to buy?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Christine :scared:
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 8:45 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where do we live in BC?

Originally posted by christinefermer
My husband has got a job offer in Abbotsford. Where is the best place to live? Unfortunately, I don't drive and are use to using the bus, train or walking everywhere. We have just visited BC and I am confussed. If we live in Abbotsford or Chillawack you need a car! I don't want to be stranded at home until hubby comes home it -would drive me bananas! I need to be able to get to schools, doctors shops etc for me to survive in Canada. Any suggestions?

Do we opt for living on the outskirts of Vancouver eg Port Coquitam ? I would be near sky train etc How long would this take for my husband to commute (car) to work? Are there any other nice places that you could suggest (where I have a mountain for a view!) What are the schools like there? How expensive is it to rent? How expensive is it to buy?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

One major piece of advice I can give you is don't ever consider living in Smelliwack, it is intollerable. I come from a farm so am quite used to farmy smells but that place is beyond bearable.

What about Langley or Aldergrove area? Mountains are a free view of any property in BC.

The cost of renting or purchasing property, as with anywhere in the world depends on what you are looking for. Check out www.mls.ca to find properties and prices. Sounds like you have never been to BC?
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

I hate to sound like a smartass but.... have you thought about getting your drivers licence?

Seriously, I was like you in the UK. I did not have my licence - didn't really need it as public transportation was more than adequate - buses and trains and the odd taxi and I was set. However, living in Canada it is obvious to me how a car is a necessity, unless you live deep in a city with all the shops you need around you and no desire to go elsewhere. I got my licence after living in Ontario for just about 2 years and having my Canadian wife be my taxi service (how did she put up with that?!). I wish I'd done it earlier!
And really, what about getting around in the winter?

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:09 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Tiaribbon
One major piece of advice I can give you is don't ever consider living in Smelliwack, it is intollerable. I come from a farm so am quite used to farmy smells but that place is beyond bearable.

What about Langley or Aldergrove area? Mountains are a free view of any property in BC.

The cost of renting or purchasing property, as with anywhere in the world depends on what you are looking for. Check out www.mls.ca to find properties and prices. Sounds like you have never been to BC?
I live in Chilliwack and there is no smell where I live on the South side - unless you live on a bloody farm...duh....what are you talking about???
Old Apr 24th 2004, 6:15 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by dingbat
I live in Chilliwack and there is no smell where I live on the South side - unless you live on a bloody farm...duh....what are you talking about???
Then you must be immune to the stench. Even up in the Okanagan they laugh about hating going to Vancouver because they have to drive through Smelliwack! So not sure what you are talking about? All I can think of is that you must be nasally-challenged if you can't smell it.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 6:38 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Tiaribbon
Then you must be immune to the stench. Even up in the Okanagan they laugh about hating going to Vancouver because they have to drive through Smelliwack! So not sure what you are talking about? All I can think of is that you must be nasally-challenged if you can't smell it.
Occasional muck spreading that passes within hours, otherwise there is way worse in Abbotsford with the dreadful chicken and pig farms everywhere. Bylaws have tightened up these days....Chilliwack is becoming THE place to move to. Property prices have risen faster here than anywhere else in BC.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 6:40 pm
Cynically amused.

Oh and yes, to the original poster you will have to learn to drive, otherwise you will be stranded. Public transport is a joke. You have no option but to get a drivers license unless you live downtown Vancouver (yuk). Don't worry, as long as you have a pulse you will pass their silly test.
Old Apr 25th 2004, 8:10 am
Premium Member

Occasional muck spreading that passes within hours, otherwise there is way worse in Abbotsford with the dreadful chicken and pig farms everywhere. Bylaws have tightened up these days....Chilliwack is becoming THE place to move to. Property prices have risen faster here than anywhere else in BC.

Yes I agree with you about the chicken and pig farm stink in Abbotsford. If the smells can be kept to a minimum then both places are quite nice in their own way. I love the valley situation of Chilliwack but parts of it does flood, although probably not in the town. I like Abbotsfords little town center but I don't care for the huge traffic jams there! It's horses for courses in this world though, what suits one doesn't suit all.

Would also agree with the fact that the poster will need to be able to drive if they want any quality of life.
Old Apr 25th 2004, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

christinefermer is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and yes, to the original poster you will have to learn to drive, otherwise you will be stranded. Public transport is a joke. You have no option but to get a drivers license unless you live downtown Vancouver (yuk). Don't worry, as long as you have a pulse you will pass their silly test.
Thanks for all the info.... an interesting read!! I'll have to keep the driving test in mind when I get to Canada - as long as I've got a pulse then!!

Christine
Old Apr 25th 2004, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

ffleate is an unknown quantity at this point

If you move somewhere close to a skytrain station, you will be in pretty good shape.

Thanks for all the info.... an interesting read!! I'll have to keep the driving test in mind when I get to Canada - as long as I've got a pulse then!!

Christine
Old Apr 26th 2004, 3:58 am
Just Joined

ffleate is an unknown quantity at this point

p.s. to add to the above, as far as I know, the skytrain extends no where near Abbotsford.

There may be some good neighbourhoods in Abbotsford that are within walking distance of whatever you need. I personally think commuting is to be avoided whenever possible. I'm not familiar with Abbotsford. Does anyone on this website know it? Are there good down-town/village areas to live in?