Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where did you sell your car before leaving the UK

Where did you sell your car before leaving the UK

Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:49 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Default Where did you sell your car before leaving the UK

Hi

I am looking at ideas how people sold their cars before leaving the UK.

Did anyone rent a car before leaving the UK because they sold their car.

K
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where did you sell your car before leaving the UK

Originally Posted by KJM
Hi

I am looking at ideas how people sold their cars before leaving the UK.

Did anyone rent a car before leaving the UK because they sold their car.

K
I drove mine to the airport, took the plates off and left it. You can have it if it's still there.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:56 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
I drove mine to the airport, took the plates off and left it. You can have it if it's still there.

hmm thats an idea

We sold ours at "we buy any car"
didn't get right much, but then we'd sold our good cars way before we moved and got cheap ones, so yeah the extra we got from them went into saving pot.
he told us of ones that dropped them off there and got taxi to airport......
Old Nov 16th 2008, 1:57 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Sold both our cars to people I worked with.

Strangely enough, a Nova Scotian bought Mr Y-C-Ds car and the girl who bought my Clio let me keep it til 2 days before we left so I then I borrowed my friend's car.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:00 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

i've just sold mine back to VW....not a great price but better than sitting around on auto trader for weeks or ebay......now in the process of buying a very cheap banger and doing what OP said....going to leave it at the airport or give it to a passerby......just sign the 'pink slip' and it's yours.....lol....
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by moondevil

hmm thats an idea

We sold ours at "we buy any car"
didn't get right much, but then we'd sold our good cars way before we moved and got cheap ones, so yeah the extra we got from them went into saving pot.
I wish I did the same - that's a good idea. But we sold our for somewhere between the "buy any car" price and its good estimate. I consider myself lucky - it was August, the dead season for selling cars. But the remaining five weeks, we simply enjoyed cycling and public transport. And rented a van for the last two days to visit the recycling yard and go the the airport.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:16 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to be scrapping mine tomorrow at the scap yard as its had it.

Husbands car is either going to a relative or car auction
Old Nov 16th 2008, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Dropped one off at an auction on our way to Glasgow airport, left the other for my brother to sell via the paper. He was useless, it ended up going to auction too.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 3:17 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Dropped one off at an auction on our way to Glasgow airport, left the other for my brother to sell via the paper. He was useless, it ended up going to auction too.
Thanks Guys

Some great feedback, including me laughing at some of the things you have done.

The problem is me and the OH need our cars for work, if only we could sell ours to someone we know it would be a lot easier but people are holding onto their money.

Its a nightmare.....to hire a car is not cheap. £800 for the 8 weeks. I would be better buying a moped lol

I am sure I will sort it somehow.

Keep the ideas coming.

K
Old Nov 16th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Sold our Peugeot 406 to my sister for a knock-down price...so managed to hang onto it until right until we got the train to Gatwick Airport.

How about this...we owned it for 7 years and never a problem with windscreen chips, until our very, very last journey on the way to St Albans station to drop off the car...then a passing lorry threw up a stone with less than 10 miles to go! We took it as a sign we were meant to leave the country!

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

We sold one on Ebay and guy at the end of our road was the winning bidder!!!!!!!!!!!

My sister had the other car at a really cheap deal, it was going to auction if she did not want it. The local auction company said they would just keep putting it through auction until it sold and then deposit the money in our bank account.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I sold mine for a few hundred quid to the garage up the road from where my parents live; with hindsight I should have sold it before I moved out of my rented place and hired a van to take everything to my parents' house, but the difference would only have been a couple of hundred anyway.

Could have sold it on to family, but the engine was too big for Britain and they didn't want to pay too much for fuel or insurance (1.8 liters, which is about the smallest engine we've found in any car for sale here in Canada!).
Old Nov 16th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

We had 2 - both not worth much. The N reg Golf we sold for 500 quid (3 years ago) to a work collegue of my husband. The R reg Civic sold for 1500 quid on eBay. A really nice guy bought it at the "Buy It Now" price within about 10 mins of us listing it and then came up from London on the train to Chester and handed over the cash... Apparently it was the first time he'd ever left London, too!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:01 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We sold all our cars that were actually worth something privately and then bought a 500 pound peugeot to see us through the last month or so and gave it to my sister. Our advantage was hubby being a mechanic so able to pick up a GOOD cheap car.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Sold it at a cut-down price to a relative; advantages being hassle free and we were able to drive it to our point of departure, say our goodbyes and give them the keys.

Not the most cost effective way of doing things, but that's not always the most important consideration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.