Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

where could/should i go?

where could/should i go?

Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:50 am
Account Closed

geetup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where could/should i go?

hey, im looking at gettin the IEC working visa and moving out for the summer, if it all goes well staying for the year, i just wondering what are the best places for me to start my journey, im 23 and about to get my degree in music, i have experience in factories an stuff, im thinking when i arrive wherever it is, ill stay in a bed and breakfast or hostel for a while, put some ads in the paper etc for cheap drum lessons, try make some money doing them and try get a job somewhere, maybe like a british style pub or something! but to be fair am not fussed what i end up doing really, as long as i can party often and meet lots of friendly canadian womenfolk!

iv heard BC is bad for work, and id love to end up in the mountains but i know thats probably not likely, i was just wondering if anyone knew of any lesser known towns/areas that would be good for me to look up before i make a decision! thanks in advance cheers!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:06 am
Just Joined

panic-stricken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where could/should i go?

BC is stunning if you want to enjoy the outdoors and relax.

If you want British style pubs and a music scene youre best off in Toronto/Ottawa.
Remember minimum wage is $8 in BC where as its $10 something in Ontario.
The other thing to consider is rental agreements (if you want your own place), theyre a year long in ontario, but thats not the case in BC.

Ontario has a real colonial feel whereas BC is like the Old west meets the Orient.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:53 am
Account Closed

yeah, i probably should have mentioned that av been to both sides of canada quite a few times, and it just gives me a hard choice of deciding where to fly to! i think ill more than likely fly to alberta or BC, and try work somewhere there, and if all else fails, i hear theres plenty work up in the oil fields in the north an stuff? surely there'll be towns dotted around the places up there i could try out, canadas so big its hard to think!

also, i got arrested 4 years ago for drunk and disorderly, night in the cells and an 80 court fine etc, i assume that will come back on my police check, will it damage the chance of me getting a visa?

Last edited by geetup; Apr 12th 2011 at 5:57 am.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geetup
also, i got arrested 4 years ago for drunk and disorderly, night in the cells and an 80 court fine etc, i assume that will come back on my police check, will it damage the chance of me getting a visa?
This may help answer your question. Not sure if drunk and disorderly is an offence in Canada, but if it is then you may need criminal rehabilitation for any entry to Canada (even just a visit) and you cannot apply for that until at least five years have passed. Have a read and then you can see if it's needed or not - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/rehabil.asp

Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
This may help answer your question. Not sure if drunk and disorderly is an offence in Canada, but if it is then you may need criminal rehabilitation for any entry to Canada (even just a visit) and you cannot apply for that until at least five years have passed. Have a read and then you can see if it's needed or not - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/rehabil.asp

nice one thanks, should be alright a reckon, iv been to canada 3 times since then and nothings ever came up, i also got stopped at the airport and held for 3 hours on suspicion of carrying drugs, obviously i wasnt and was let go after they found nothing, but im sure the drunk and disorderly would have come up then if it was a problem.. they were trying to find any reason to send me home!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

nice one thanks, should be alright a reckon, iv been to canada 3 times since then and nothings ever came up, i also got stopped at the airport and held for 3 hours on suspicion of carrying drugs, obviously i wasnt and was let go after they found nothing, but im sure the drunk and disorderly would have come up then if it was a problem.. they were trying to find any reason to send me home!
Of course 'nothing ever came up' - as you will no doubt have noticed, nobody asks you about your criminal record when you enter Canada, and they cannot check it. That's why police checks are required for all immigration applications. You are expected to know the laws of the country you are entering, and to know if you comply with visitor requirements or not. The onus is on you, not the immigration officer.

If you did need criminal rehab and have been 3 times without it, then you do have an issue, so you need to see if it was/is required or not. It may well not have been, and in which case you'll be fine, but have a look at the link I gave you for more info.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Halifax nova scotia is the place. Plenty of students and pubs.not too big a city so you feel lost but large enough to meet people from around the world. Good turn over of people to teach the drums to. Might be a little quiet tourist wise in the winter but still plenty of university students.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:01 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

hey, im looking at gettin the IEC working visa and moving out for the summer, if it all goes well staying for the year, i just wondering what are the best places for me to start my journey, im 23 and about to get my degree in music, i have experience in factories an stuff, im thinking when i arrive wherever it is, ill stay in a bed and breakfast or hostel for a while, put some ads in the paper etc for cheap drum lessons, try make some money doing them and try get a job somewhere, maybe like a british style pub or something! but to be fair am not fussed what i end up doing really, as long as i can party often and meet lots of friendly canadian womenfolk!

iv heard BC is bad for work, and id love to end up in the mountains but i know thats probably not likely, i was just wondering if anyone knew of any lesser known towns/areas that would be good for me to look up before i make a decision! thanks in advance cheers!
U could save yerself lotta $ and stuff by workin here? looks very canadian genuine?

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/37/373/
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by immichaelcaine
U could save yerself lotta $ and stuff by workin here? looks very canadian genuine?

haha! a need out of england! canada is the place am goin just not sure where, too many choices, if i could go anywhere ad go to jasper or banff in BC but i dont want to mission all that way an find theres no work etc, need to think logical, quite fancy maybe goin somewhere totally new aswell, like the guy who said nova scotia, a aint never been there, would be crazy, lots to think about
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:26 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

haha! a need out of england! canada is the place am goin just not sure where, too many choices, if i could go anywhere ad go to jasper or banff in BC but i dont want to mission all that way an find theres no work etc, need to think logical, quite fancy maybe goin somewhere totally new aswell, like the guy who said nova scotia, a aint never been there, would be crazy, lots to think about
why do you need out of England are you on the run???..Jasper and Banff are in Alberta!!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
why do you need out of England are you on the run???..Jasper and Banff are in Alberta!!
nah av always wanted to go work in canada, just wanna get out of england for a while too, had a wierd year, wanna go with a view to moving permanantly one day, and i know theyre in alberta iv been there haha, i could go anywhere im just lookin at all the options
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I went there in about 1992 or so....it was a letdown...faux canadiana...which to some people on this board is a double whammy of tweeness.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:49 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I went there in about 1992 or so....it was a letdown...faux canadiana...which to some people on this board is a double whammy of tweeness.
u got any photogs? it LL an awesome hoot!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

u got any photogs? it LL an awesome hoot!
I think what you are trying to ask if I have any photos and unfortunately the answer is 'no'. I think when I was there they were showing hockey on the TV but it wasn't live..they were dependent back then on VCR tapes being sent from Canada.