Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where in Canada?

Where in Canada?

Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:32 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Canada?

Originally Posted by rhey
Hello,

My husband and I have moved over to Vancouver. We have been here for for 8 months. We are happy in Vancouver but we have just had a baby (3 months old) and we would like to be in a more rural area to bring him up. We have explored some of BC but it is difficult to decide where to move to after only a couple of days in each place. Ideally we would like to visit places again before we make our move but money and time make it difficult for us to do so. It would be great to have some input on the areas we are looking at and whether anyone has any further suggestions.

The areas we have liked are -
Smithers
Comox Valley, particularly Courteney
North Vancouver
Victoria (love the town but would prefer to be nearer to skiing)
Tofino (bit of a wild card as it does not have any skiing but we like the feel of the town)

My husband is really into fly fishing, especially salmon and steelhead, I would like to be near to some skiing and also a decent town with amenities and a nice feel (sorry I know that sounds vague). Good schools will become important in a few years.

Whilst we would need a job in the short term (we are happy to do anything) our long term plan when we find the right place is to set up a business, so a great job market is not essential. We have PR, or will do if/when we pass our medicals (we are taking them on Saturday!).

We have not looked at inland areas but have heard good things about Nelson and the Kooteneys. Nelson sounds like a great town and the skiing sounds fantastic but we are a bit nervous of the drug culture in Nelson. Is this an issue? Also, we do not know anything about the Okanagan. A big town like Kelowna does not really interest us but we know nothing of the surrounding areas.

We are happy to look inland and at different provinces to get what we want.

Please can anyone advise on their thoughts on any of the areas or if there are places we are missing that fit our criteria. Or tell me if we are asking too much from one area to have skiing, fishing and a town (!).

Thanks in advance.
Becky
Smithers - lovely town but winter is long. One cell network has coverage the other doesn't. The local ski hill does not have night skiing (nearest night skiing is Terrace I believe). Job opportunities will be limited to government (provincial) and self employment.

Comox Valley - sorry, no idea but I've really tried to like Courtenay/Comox when I've visited (and failed). I actually preferred Campbell River but it is further from the ski hill and times there are hard with the mill shut down.

North Vancouver - not rural but on the edge of wilderness. Lots of good schools and amenities aplenty. Look at the larger townhouses - there are lots of family-oriented complexes - for better affordability. Or rent.

Victoria - twedium defined.

Tofino - you're 'avin a laugh. Victoria is too far from the skiing and you're worried about drugs in Nelson so you are considering Tofino? As for schools I don't suppose the population is big enough to support any choice, but I could be wrong and maybe the community school is excellent.

Different communities have different characteristics. Kaslo might suit you but once you are in the Kootenays you are in a different world. Alternatively, look at the Sunshine Coast, although you'll only have cross-country skiing unless you are into back country stuff. Pemberton is nice but has expanded beyond belief in the last few years. And as others have said, look at areas around the Lower Mainland a bit more closely, e.g. Maple Ridge is close to wilderness but cheaper than North Van.

Last edited by acer rose; Sep 15th 2011 at 5:41 am.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:51 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhey
Hello,

My husband and I have moved over to Vancouver. We have been here for for 8 months. We are happy in Vancouver but we have just had a baby (3 months old) and we would like to be in a more rural area to bring him up. We have explored some of BC but it is difficult to decide where to move to after only a couple of days in each place. Ideally we would like to visit places again before we make our move but money and time make it difficult for us to do so. It would be great to have some input on the areas we are looking at and whether anyone has any further suggestions.

The areas we have liked are -
Smithers
Comox Valley, particularly Courteney
North Vancouver
Victoria (love the town but would prefer to be nearer to skiing)
Tofino (bit of a wild card as it does not have any skiing but we like the feel of the town)

My husband is really into fly fishing, especially salmon and steelhead, I would like to be near to some skiing and also a decent town with amenities and a nice feel (sorry I know that sounds vague). Good schools will become important in a few years.

Whilst we would need a job in the short term (we are happy to do anything) our long term plan when we find the right place is to set up a business, so a great job market is not essential. We have PR, or will do if/when we pass our medicals (we are taking them on Saturday!).

We have not looked at inland areas but have heard good things about Nelson and the Kooteneys. Nelson sounds like a great town and the skiing sounds fantastic but we are a bit nervous of the drug culture in Nelson. Is this an issue? Also, we do not know anything about the Okanagan. A big town like Kelowna does not really interest us but we know nothing of the surrounding areas.

We are happy to look inland and at different provinces to get what we want.

Please can anyone advise on their thoughts on any of the areas or if there are places we are missing that fit our criteria. Or tell me if we are asking too much from one area to have skiing, fishing and a town (!).

Thanks in advance.
Becky
Try Kimberley, BC, and surrounding areas. Skiing, Fishing, LOTS of wilderness and wildlife, tons of lakes, very close to amenities, very close to an airport that services a wide area of Canada, close enough to the US border, and the schools are good (family members do very well so thats what i base an assumption on), and not too expensive property (in my opinion).
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

rhey is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Thank you so much for everyone's time. You really have given me a lot to think about.
Many thanks,
Becky