Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where in Canada?

Where in Canada?

Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Canada?

Originally Posted by rhey
dbd33 - That was an interesting post. When you consider rural living would you class living somewhere like the town of Smithers in the same way? E.g the type of people, the access to internet, etc?
I had to google Smithers to see where it was. I tell you that so you know I'm not claiming any particular knowledge of rural BC.

However, based on other similarly remote parts of Canada and the US, I would not expect to find better than dial-up internet there and would question the utility of mobile phones and satellite radio. I would expect the population to consist of embittered cranks and substance abuse to be rife. Everything will be expensive. I would not be surprised to learn that the population is trapped there for the winter.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:00 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've lived rurally, in Ontario, not BC but I can't think it's very different. I liked it and expect to live rurally again but, in my view, it's completely incompatible with a desire to "get involved and be part of a community". People live in the country because they farm, because they belong to a persecuted minority or because they want to get away from people.
I also live ruraly, 5 mins drive from a nice small village (and its associated LCBO), 25 mins from a couple of larger towns, one of which I work in.

I would say there is nothing at all to stop people from being part of the local community, and that small communities are a lot tighter knit than those in the towns.

Farming is the glue that holds the small village community together, and it can be a bit daunting to break into that clique, but if you are living there for the long haul and contributing to local causes, coaching local teams, members of local groups etc then being involved in the local community is no problem at all in my experience, but it doesn't happen overnight.

My specific location between hills makes internet tricky, but thats not true for most. I have never been trapped by snowfall, and I have a generator for the inevitable power outages, but have never yet used it in anger as the power is usually back on within a few hours.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 14th 2011 at 2:03 am.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:05 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
I also live ruraly, 5 mins drive from a nice small village (and its associated LCBO), 25 mins from a couple of larger towns, one of which I work in.

I would say there is nothing at all to stop people from being part of the local community, and that small communities are a lot tighter knit than those in the towns.

Farming is the glue that holds the small village community together, and it can be a bit daunting to break into that clique, but if you are living there for the long haul and contributing to local causes, coaching local teams, members of local groups etc then being involved in the local community is no problem at all in my experience, but it doesn't happen overnight.
I suppose it all depends what people mean by "rural".

"Rural" as in surrounded by fields but within X minutes of a village with a shop? People to talk to and community groups, if you like.

"Rural" as in the nearest farm is 20 minutes drive on gravel roads (and guess what....they go to Texas for the winter!), the nearest thing resembling a village isn't worth the drive and the concept of a community group / local team etc is a bit laughable?
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

contributing to local causes, coaching local teams, members of local groups
I believe the local causes in Melancthon, which I imagine to be a lot more similar to Smithers than Belleville, to be limited to the windmill sabotage and gravel pit fighting associations. Granted they're something that brings people together but shooting windmill blades is a bit Monkey Wrench Gang for most people. Immigrants are not likely to know enough about ice hockey or curling to coach, participate or want to witness. Groups, yes, if you're Catholic, a Native American or Presbytarian, there's probably an association to celebrate that.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:08 am
Just Joined

AnnyGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stacey.cook1
We live in North Vancouver and love it!! like you we both ski (well snowboard actually) 5-10 min drive to all 3 mountains. We live right by the Seymour demonstration forest too so have loads of biking/walking trails right on our door step, feels rural even though its not really, just much more green, loads of trees etc. I'm sure the fishing is good too.
We will be starting a family in the next year or so and if we can afford it we will defiantly be staying on the north shore.
I've heard about Canada a lot. I think it's a great country. And you make me feel I'm right.

Last edited by AnnyGirl; Sep 14th 2011 at 2:14 am.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:08 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I suppose it all depends what people mean by "rural".

"Rural" as in surrounded by fields but within X minutes of a village with a shop? People to talk to and community groups, if you like.

"Rural" as in the nearest farm is 20 minutes drive on gravel roads (and guess what....they go to Texas for the winter!), the nearest thing resembling a village isn't worth the drive and the concept of a community group / local team etc is a bit laughable?
Quite, point taken.

Even in the real rural areas there are community centers, and community events, but it just takes a longer drive and more effort to get there.

In the past I have refered to my situation as semi-rural, we even have a corner store within walking distance, even if it mostly sells fishing gear and ice cream.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:16 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite, point taken.

Even in the real rural areas there are community centers, and community events, but it just takes a longer drive and more effort to get there.

In the past I have refered to my situation as semi-rural, we even have a corner store within walking distance, even if it mostly sells fishing gear and ice cream.
Good grief....you live in a cosmopolis!

I am reminded of a place we drove through in Pennsylvania. I use the word "place" loosely. It was a handful of ramshackle houses at best, beautiful setting with mountains on one side and a valley, lovely trees. There was one service available, a store boasting the sign.....

Fishing Tackle
Ammunition

I wish I had taken a picture. There's a fine line dividing rural from bleak.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:24 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Good grief....you live in a cosmopolis!
LOL, cant be, not nearly enough traffic and construction noise

My oldest was saying after our road trip that she would never, NEVER, live in Toronto cos the noise was too much to sleep. I explained that you get used to it, and besides, anyone visiting us from Toronto would be kept up all night by the noise of the crickets and bull frogs!

She said "What noise from the crickets".... QED.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:58 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhey
Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's input. Please could I ask a couple of follow up questions?

You are right about the definition of rural being important. I think I would need to have access to amenities within about 30 minutes drive, so living in a small community with access to a larger one nearby would be good. Or living in a small town with all the amenities.

Rich: Are there not a lot of winter visitors for skiing?
FWIW, I don't notice any difference in attitudes or approach to life amongst my rural dwelling neighbours, compared to work colleagues, friends and acquaintances that live in Kamloops itself. My neighbours hold down professional jobs, blue and white collar. If I was an additional 30 minutes out of town, I think some of what dbd was mentioning would start to hold true - self sufficiency starts to become more important, farming and logging become the biggest employers and life's a lot rougher around the edges.

WRT skiing, yes winter brings a big influx of tourists, but they're living within the confines of the ski resort, which is 40 minutes from town (applies to Kelowna and Kamloops), so their impact on the regular population is negligible (except for lift line ups).
Old Sep 14th 2011, 3:04 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I quite often say I want to live in the woods with the bears - i.e. in the middle of nowhere, hours to the nearest town of substance. Reality being that I don't think I'd do very well at getting supplies in. So in my case a rural location within short driving distance to some sot of shop for supplies would be the order of the day.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 3:06 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I believe the local causes in Melancthon, which I imagine to be a lot more similar to Smithers than Belleville, to be limited to the windmill sabotage and gravel pit fighting associations. Granted they're something that brings people together but shooting windmill blades is a bit Monkey Wrench Gang for most people. Immigrants are not likely to know enough about ice hockey or curling to coach, participate or want to witness. Groups, yes, if you're Catholic, a Native American or Presbytarian, there's probably an association to celebrate that.
You paint a bleak picture.

Stirling is a village of about 2000, the whole area / township is about 4500. I just work in Belleville, its not where I live.

I coached soccer in the village. You dont have to know anything much to help out with little league sports. My wife knew nothing about skating, but helped the skating club by being on the exec commitee. I do some musical things in the village to, and that helps with fundraisers and just being part of the community. There is no need to think in such self limiting ways. Just cos you have no interest in immersing yourself in local customs like hockey doesnt mean that everyone does. I get the impression that quite a few of the expats that post here follow their local junior A hockey teams for example.

Granted, church is important in most small town canada, but its not everything.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 14th 2011 at 3:11 am.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 3:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

You paint a bleak picture.
Yes. Most of rural Canada is poor and suffers grim weather. The Unabomber would be at home in, say, Grey County, while British immigrants might well miss the warmth and conviviality of the Hebrides.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 3:13 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Yes. Most of rural Canada is poor and suffers grim weather. The Unabomber would be at home in, say, Grey County, while British immigrants might well miss the warmth and conviviality of the Hebrides.
Which is odd, as I keep bumping into brits who are perfectly happy to live in it...
Old Sep 14th 2011, 3:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

Which is odd, as I keep bumping into brits who are perfectly happy to live in it...
As noted above, I was happy with it. I don't think though that we're comparing apples with apples. From past pictures, you could walk to your neighbour's house, which is hardly rural by Canadian standards. I'd think a house even a mile from Smithers would be properly rural, no problem shooting a gun off your porch there.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

As noted above, I was happy with it. I don't think though that we're comparing apples with apples. From past pictures, you could walk to your neighbour's house, which is hardly rural by Canadian standards. I'd think a house even a mile from Smithers would be properly rural, no problem shooting a gun off your porch there.
You'd be hard pressed to find many rural homes in Canada that you couldn't walk to, unless it was remote farm or ranch type of property. Your definition of "rural" is quite extreme. I think the OP is talking about living in or near a town, which would be classified as rural by Canadian standards, not a remote part of the arctic only accessible by plane or ice breaker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.