Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

where in Calgary

where in Calgary

Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:30 am
Just Joined

becskane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where in Calgary

Hi all you lucky people already in Calgary. We are looking to be over there next year, my husband has passed everything for the CPS and just waiting for it to be rubber stamped and then it is immigration. We came over in October and looked at real estate but was are torn between - Cochrane, Somerset & Bridlewood or Okotoks we like them all for different reasons and I want to open a pre-school nursery from home so we need to be in the "right" location, we have a 3 year old daughter and it is important that she settles and has new friends asap.
Your views would be appreciated, thanks & Merry Christmas to all
Old Dec 24th 2007, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where in Calgary

Originally Posted by becskane
Hi all you lucky people already in Calgary. We are looking to be over there next year, my husband has passed everything for the CPS and just waiting for it to be rubber stamped and then it is immigration. We came over in October and looked at real estate but was are torn between - Cochrane, Somerset & Bridlewood or Okotoks we like them all for different reasons and I want to open a pre-school nursery from home so we need to be in the "right" location, we have a 3 year old daughter and it is important that she settles and has new friends asap.
I doubt very much that you would be able to open such a business in Somerset, due to the zoning, and there is already a large pre-school nursery situated on Somerset so I doubt you would get permission for another.

I guess others from the other locations will provide you with their advice in due course
Old Dec 24th 2007, 4:42 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by becskane
Come to Cochrane. They are desperate for pre school care. The town of Cochrane basically messed up a few years ago and did not allow a preschool to open and since then they have been in trouble. No pre school then mothers can not work at all and we have a desperate shortage of workers. As for zoning, you can open a home based buisness here with out too much effort. The current Montesorri school is in a home!

PM me if you want more details.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I'd echo that - pre-school care is hard to find. My current boss, who is looking to open up something in her own home was chatting to one other lady in the town that does this. She had 21 kids on a waiting list !!

I'd consider it myself if I liked kids enough
Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:39 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I'd consider it myself if I liked kids enough

Aye! .. There's the rub!

In case anyone's wondering, that's Shakespearian for "I hear ya!!!"
Old Dec 26th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

smithjm will become famous soon enough

Becskane,

We are not in Calgary yet...we move over on Feb 12th 08, but we have gone over recently and purchased a house. We looked around ALL the areas and lots of houses. We settled on Cochrane as it has a fantastic community feel to it. The town is still relatively small, yet close enough to Calgary for the bits you need from the bigger shops etc.
There is definately potential for setting up pre-school care. We are moving over with a 9 month old and at the moment, we cannot find anyone to look after her from when she is a year old so Karen can go back to work part-time.
So PLEASE set up a place!!

Ann - Please keep up updated if your boss does set up a place, we are very interested.
See you soon.

All the best to all for the New Year.

Jay
Old Dec 26th 2007, 9:24 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by smithjm
Becskane,

There is definately potential for setting up pre-school care. We are moving over with a 9 month old and at the moment, we cannot find anyone to look after her from when she is a year old so Karen can go back to work part-time.
So PLEASE set up a place!!

When you arrive, do to the FCSS office on 2nd Ave W, it is the big blue building which you see as you come into Cochrane on the 1a. They are starting a list of child care providers and the building is also home to a free playgroup. You have to stay with your child ( which I can never understand) but you will be able to speak to the staff as I know they have local contacts. If you are looking for adverts or signs then you will be waiting a long time as child care seems to be organised by word of mouth.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

smithjm will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
When you arrive, do to the FCSS office on 2nd Ave W, it is the big blue building which you see as you come into Cochrane on the 1a. They are starting a list of child care providers and the building is also home to a free playgroup. You have to stay with your child ( which I can never understand) but you will be able to speak to the staff as I know they have local contacts. If you are looking for adverts or signs then you will be waiting a long time as child care seems to be organised by word of mouth.

Thanks for this, but we visited them when over in Nov buying a house. They gave us a list of people running child care. We phoned them all and none could accommodate us. How frustrating, but hopefully a space will come free next year.
Cheers
Jay