Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Old Mar 6th 2008, 5:14 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 141
garvard will become famous soon enough
Default Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Hi friends,
I need an advice where to live in Moncton: north, west or Riverview west, east or central.
garvard is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2008, 5:26 pm
  #2  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 41,933
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

I live in Central Moncton. Excellent area for bus routes and I'm in the middle of everything. Good for me as I don't drive.

I'm near a school and a hospital so the streets are plowed quickly.

If you're a driver it doesn't matter too much where you are, although I hear of traffic problems from Riverview to Downtown. Having said that, I hear lots of things about traffic on Mountain Road and it never strikes me as busy.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 6th 2008 at 5:29 pm.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:20 pm
  #3  
Seasoned Maritimer
 
Tangram's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick CA
Posts: 8,307
Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Can't say the traffic bothers me, 7 minutes from house in Riverview to Downtown at the worst. Nowhere strikes me as busy except around Trinity on a Saturday !!

Plowed streets here in Riverview too pretty regularly...even too much as I hear the plough several times through the night.

Let us both know of any specific info you need.
Tangram is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:52 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 141
garvard will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
Let us both know of any specific info you need.
I am looking for info about such part of Moncton which is more clean, quiet, less crime, not too old houses (up to 10 years), easy access to downtown (up to 10-15 minutes by car), shopping mall...
Thank you.
garvard is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2008, 4:59 am
  #5  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 41,933
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Except for the house age aspect, that's pretty much all of Moncton.

I can't speak for Riverview or Dieppe but near Mountain Rd fits your wants.

Specifically, look at Mapquest for University Ave/Mountain Rd. The area to look at is between Mountain Rd and Wheeler Blvd from University and Westwards past Connaught as far as Noel Street. Beyond Noel, the housing stock can become a bit tatty, although there is still plenty of good stuff there.

Within the area I described are two hospitals and a couple of small schools for small kids (so no teens hanging around). Consequently the streets here are plowed very efficiently and quickly after snowfalls.

Plenty of doctors and dentists around, two excellent (large) drug stores and the wonderful Rinzlers for meat, fruit and veg and more.

Champlain Mall and Atlantic Superstore are effectively just beyond one end of Mountain Rd while 10-15 minutes drive from there you'll be at the strip Malls and big stores at the other end where Wheeler Blvd crosses.

If you're car is off the road, there are a half dozen buses every hour travelling between the Strip Mall Stores and Champlain Mall.



Going out of town a bit further, but still close to Mountain Rd is still good, but the further you go the less likely you'll be on main services.

I can recommend Phil Albert of Exit as a realtor. He gave recommendations of where to avoid, drew things to our attention that we missed or didn't know about. We had no transport so he took us to all the houses on our list when we visited Moncton to look at somewhere to buy. He definitely went the extra mile for us.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 7th 2008 at 5:09 am.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:51 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 141
garvard will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Except for the house age aspect, that's pretty much all of Moncton.

I can't speak for Riverview or Dieppe but near Mountain Rd fits your wants.

Specifically, look at Mapquest for University Ave/Mountain Rd. The area to look at is between Mountain Rd and Wheeler Blvd from University and Westwards past Connaught as far as Noel Street. Beyond Noel, the housing stock can become a bit tatty, although there is still plenty of good stuff there.

Within the area I described are two hospitals and a couple of small schools for small kids (so no teens hanging around). Consequently the streets here are plowed very efficiently and quickly after snowfalls.

Plenty of doctors and dentists around, two excellent (large) drug stores and the wonderful Rinzlers for meat, fruit and veg and more.

Champlain Mall and Atlantic Superstore are effectively just beyond one end of Mountain Rd while 10-15 minutes drive from there you'll be at the strip Malls and big stores at the other end where Wheeler Blvd crosses.

If you're car is off the road, there are a half dozen buses every hour travelling between the Strip Mall Stores and Champlain Mall.



Going out of town a bit further, but still close to Mountain Rd is still good, but the further you go the less likely you'll be on main services.

I can recommend Phil Albert of Exit as a realtor. He gave recommendations of where to avoid, drew things to our attention that we missed or didn't know about. We had no transport so he took us to all the houses on our list when we visited Moncton to look at somewhere to buy. He definitely went the extra mile for us.
Thanks, BristolUK, for your advice.
Most of Real Estate Agents adviced me to look into Evergreen area. Is it realy good or Riverview is better?
garvard is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2008, 7:28 pm
  #7  
Seasoned Maritimer
 
Tangram's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick CA
Posts: 8,307
Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Originally Posted by garvard View Post
Thanks, BristolUK, for your advice.
Most of Real Estate Agents adviced me to look into Evergreen area. Is it realy good or Riverview is better?
If you have kids and are looking at getting into Evergreen school because you are in that area, the only thing I would keep in mind is that you won't necessarily get into it as it is so full. Don't believe the Realtor if he says that's the school your kids will go, as it is likely not the case.

But I agree with what Bris says generally. And neither is better than the other I would say. You need to see first hand what grabs you.
Tangram is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:02 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
pennyhp's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Tillsonburg ON
Posts: 996
pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

We are in Lower Coverdale which is on the road down to Fundy Park.

I have 30 acres and feel that I am out in the country but Superstore and more importantly Tim Hortons are just 10 minutes away by car.

One thing I have observed through this winter that Riverview has kept the roads clearer than Moncton.

Even down way passed us the ploughs have been really regular. Like Tangram I hear them through the night.

I like the feel of Riverview too and the bigger stores in Moncton are just over the bridge.

I would say that in general Riverview is prettier than Moncton and there is a lot of new housing going up too.
pennyhp is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:42 pm
  #9  
Seasoned Maritimer
 
Tangram's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick CA
Posts: 8,307
Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Originally Posted by pennyhp View Post
We are in Lower Coverdale which is on the road down to Fundy Park.

I have 30 acres and feel that I am out in the country but Superstore and more importantly Tim Hortons are just 10 minutes away by car.

One thing I have observed through this winter that Riverview has kept the roads clearer than Moncton.

Even down way passed us the ploughs have been really regular. Like Tangram I hear them through the night.

I like the feel of Riverview too and the bigger stores in Moncton are just over the bridge.

I would say that in general Riverview is prettier than Moncton and there is a lot of new housing going up too.
Passed your place the other day Penny, we were visiting in Lower Coverdale and went to Manor Ridge to be nosy about a house. Maybe looking to move out of town in a couple of years but for now Riverview is ok with us. Agree with the above post.
Tangram is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:04 pm
  #10  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 41,933
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Originally Posted by pennyhp View Post
One thing I have observed through this winter that Riverview has kept the roads clearer than Moncton.
I have certainly heard people complaining - but where I am is cleared within an hour or so of a snowfall. I too hear the plows during the night, but some of them are sidewalk plows. They do one side.

I actually complain of over-plowing. Mine is a quiet street, rarely more than three vehicles on the entire street at any time and after they plow there is ample room for traffic in both directions. But the buggers keep coming back to achieve that silly target of plowing the full width rather than plowing for the traffic needs of different streets and each new 'run' puts a snow ridge across the driveway yet again.

If they stopped this over-clearing, maybe they could use the time in other places.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 7th 2008 at 11:07 pm.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:49 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 141
garvard will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
Passed your place the other day Penny, we were visiting in Lower Coverdale and went to Manor Ridge to be nosy about a house. Maybe looking to move out of town in a couple of years but for now Riverview is ok with us. Agree with the above post.
But as I know Riverview has three parts: west, east and central. Which one has more new houses?
garvard is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:36 pm
  #12  
Seasoned Maritimer
 
Tangram's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick CA
Posts: 8,307
Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Originally Posted by garvard View Post
But as I know Riverview has three parts: west, east and central. Which one has more new houses?
All.
Tangram is offline  
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:00 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Posts: 98
Prairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant future
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Originally Posted by garvard View Post
Hi friends,
I need an advice where to live in Moncton: north, west or Riverview west, east or central.
Why is property so cheap out there ????? Whats the catch???? I have heard work is the problem ! I am a truck driver but would be willing to turn my hand to anything. Would not have to earn mega bucks out there, just enough to tick over. Everything else looks good but is there work?

Prairie Pete
Prairie Pete is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:18 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
PeterMcG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

hi there,

We've just bought a house on the Salisbury Road, Moncton side of the river (Allison Heights) we're very pleased with it. Pete there are a lot of trucking companies here as Moncton is called the "Hub" of the maritimes due to its central location - Armour transport to name but one they're recruiting now.....
As to the rest of the guys do you meet up or anything? I really need help finding work - my wife is a teacher and I am in IT but want to try something else - does anyone know of LMO ready companies?

Regards
Peter
PeterMcG is offline  
Old Apr 8th 2008, 12:27 am
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
steve of 5-0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Alberta
Posts: 686
steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to buy a house in Moncton, NB

Hi, I have been absent from this forum for a while.
Hi to pennyhp, we have yet to meet.
When are you firing up the bbq.

For those thinking of buying in Moncton.
A very nice area is off Mountain Road opposite Barnabys Furniture.
Various parts Riverview are excellent aswell.
Somewhere decent will cost over $100,000 now.

Jobs galore exist in Moncton & Riverview.
This area is the Call-Centre capital of the Maritimes.
Any person from the UK can get a job in a any centre.
Some are good, some are not so good.
People from the UK are made very welcome here by the English population, the French too, except the elderly French, who refuse to talk to you in English, they are able to, they just do not want to, their priviledge of course, just let them get on with it.

The irony is that people who are bi-lingual in call-centres, would rather deal with English customers that call in!!!???

The only down-side to Moncton is, that if you only speak English you can get a job, but if you want a career, you will need to be bi-lingual generally.
steve of 5-0 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.