Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to avoid in NS or NB to live?

Where to avoid in NS or NB to live?

Old May 17th 2017, 11:27 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to avoid in NS or NB to live?

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
We're going to try and visit both NS and NB over the next two weekends, but we're pretty certain that its the Lunenburg/Bridgewater area of NS which we think would be best, my husband prefers the sound of the job offer in that area too rather than the one he's been offered near Fredericton.
Please let us know what you think of the places you visit Raindrops. It's always interesting to get a fresh pair of eyes initial take on it.

I have just read Lunenburg, a who done it, by a British writer, set, unsurprisingly, around Lunenburg and it sounds lovely. My husband goes to Halifax a lot and really likes it and thinks I would have been happier had we moved there. I hope to visit this summer.

I do hope that you enjoy your trips. Moving can be super...the promise of excitement
Old May 17th 2017, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I think it's a bit generic to say Cole Harbour is bad. There good bits and bad bits like anywhere...
Cole Harbour is utterly dreadful.

I am basing this entirely on my experience of delivering Petrol to the Shell station on the main drag. They have those outdoor speakers with music blaring country and western at 4am on a Sunday morning when the bloody station is closed. Excruciating.
Old May 17th 2017, 5:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201

I am basing this entirely on my experience of delivering Petrol to the Shell station on the main drag. They have those outdoor speakers with music blaring country and western at 4am on a Sunday morning when the bloody station is closed. Excruciating.
Hank Snow, I trust.
Old May 17th 2017, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Yeah go on then
Old May 17th 2017, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Excruciating?!? Sounds like heaven to me! I always have CFCY radio on, or county music videos on Youtube.

Thanks Millie I will update, I do love the look of the Lunenburg area, and the sound of it. That said I think I like the sound of Fredericton better than Halifax as a "big" city within driving distance. If only real life was like the sims heh? I was in Charlottetown today and I will miss the place, I love it
Old May 17th 2017, 11:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I am basing this entirely on my experience of delivering Petrol
Well that's where you went wrong. It's gas in this country.
...those outdoor speakers with music blaring country and western at 4am on a Sunday morning when the bloody station is closed...
Sounds surreal enough to be Twin Peaks.
Old May 18th 2017, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Lunenburg is a beautiful place, and is surrounded by beautiful country.

The church has been beautifully rebuilt after arsonists set a fire that it burnt down on October 31 2001 .......... it was 250 years old, the second-oldest in Canada.

Luckily they still had the original plans in the archives which had been moved only a few years previous from the basement of the church to Halifax.

I have photos of the church before it burnt and of the restored building.

....... the only problem is all those damned tourists crowding the main street, the coffee shops, always stopping to take photos, and making life difficult for the residents

Actually, I think my favourite place in NS is Mahone Bay ........... unfortunately also become much more touristy in the last 20 years
Old May 18th 2017, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Lunenburg is a beautiful place, and is surrounded by beautiful country.

The church has been beautifully rebuilt after arsonists set a fire that it burnt down on October 31 2001 .......... it was 250 years old, the second-oldest in Canada.

Luckily they still had the original plans in the archives which had been moved only a few years previous from the basement of the church to Halifax.

I have photos of the church before it burnt and of the restored building.

....... the only problem is all those damned tourists crowding the main street, the coffee shops, always stopping to take photos, and making life difficult for the residents

Actually, I think my favourite place in NS is Mahone Bay ........... unfortunately also become much more touristy in the last 20 years
It sounds so beautiful. We currently live in a part of PEI which is very close to a tourist hotspot, so get lots of passing tourists. I don't mind, but I don't work and have a toddler who loves to dawdle so I don't ever plan to be anywhere in a hurry, otherwise I think it could he frustrating.
Old May 18th 2017, 12:18 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

:
Thanks Millie I will update, I do love the look of the Lunenburg area, and the sound of it. That said I think I like the sound of Fredericton better than Halifax as a "big" city within driving distance. If only real life was like the sims heh? I was in Charlottetown today and I will miss the place, I love it
Oh good, we'll look forward to the updates! I think Chatlottetown is super, although I think I would prefer Summerside to live in...but neither place in Winter. We should just swap and I'll go to Halifax and you to Fredericton There are just too few people for me...
Old May 18th 2017, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Excruciating?!? Sounds like heaven to me! I always have CFCY radio on, or county music videos on Youtube.
There is small town canada assimilation but that is taking it too far...recent immigrant and country music do not go together in the same sentence
Old May 18th 2017, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oh good, we'll look forward to the updates! I think Chatlottetown is super, although I think I would prefer Summerside to live in...but neither place in Winter. We should just swap and I'll go to Halifax and you to Fredericton There are just too few people for me...
We're about an hour, or just over from Charlottetown, but I'm not too keen on Summerside. We live in the country but I'd like to live even more rurally as we have neighbours about four hundred yards from our property boundary and it makes me feel claustrophobic after our last house in Scandinavia. Some of that may be down to the complete a**hole who is our neighbour though! One day I will find a happy medium
A swap sounds like a great idea, perhaps we could introduce a rotating homes/lifestyles scheme?
Old May 18th 2017, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
There is small town canada assimilation but that is taking it too far...recent immigrant and country music do not go together in the same sentence
To be fair although we haven't been in Canada a year yet country music is a big step forwards from the dubious (moonshine and home brew) inspired Scandinavian music we were used to enduring. Plus we haven't lived in the UK for quite a long time now, and I have always wanted an excuse to dress like I'm in a country music video so I am going for it . I've loved country music since I was a little girl, I love it even more now .
I wear plaid short shorts too, and cowboy boots and flippy rara skirts - I have no shame
Old May 18th 2017, 1:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I have always wanted an excuse to dress like I'm in a country music video so I am going for it . I've loved country music since I was a little girl, I love it even more now...
So why the 'Favourite things' for your BE name?
Old May 18th 2017, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So why the 'Favourite things' for your BE name?
Raindrops and roses is (or was) the name of a face cream which was supposed to be all natural, sung to by unicorns, blessed by cherubs tears etc. I went through a hippy stage in my teens and tried it and had such a horrific allergic reaction that I spent my birthday in hospital. When I signed up for BE my husband and I had just been discussing the folly of our youth - hence why it came to mind

I do love rain, and I love roses too, so partly true
Old May 18th 2017, 11:52 am
Oscar nominated

...I went through a hippy stage in my teens...
Didn't we all...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.