Where are all the 'real' country builders

Where are all the 'real' country builders

Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:37 pm
Banned

baileyalison is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where are all the 'real' country builders

Originally Posted by scimdarren
I think I may upset people here, but:

I did a 4 year indentured apprenticeship to call myself a tradesperson, although that is not to say that it automatically makes me a good one.

I dont call myself 'Electrical Engineer', because I don't have a degree. So why should a non qualified person claim 'tradesperson'?

Canada, good on you for regulating your trades.

D
cant agree more you cant be a tradesman with no proper trade certificates its impossible ie trade= apprenticeship certificates experience =tradesman
Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with what you say and the rich get richer whilst the poor get poorer. Bellow the poverty line Look out! You only need look at the problems with the council tax rates! phew...... I am glad i don't have all that to pay now.
I also noticed a major difference with land. In Britian everyone fights over an inch of grass. Boundries all around the properties.I am not saying that folk don't do that here but there are not so class minded. You really see evidence of this as you leave the city. Vast area of farmland with no real hedges or fencing.
The other thing that comes to mind is clothing. People don't tend to be as judgemental about the clothes you where. Anything goes! I would not have worn some of the clothes i wear now when i was back in the UK.

So you are ok you guys coming from the UK. you can bring those eighties hawian bermuda shorts and those silly shirts and those dusty shoes you have in the wardrobe. Nobody will mind at all or even notice!

Originally Posted by seacreature
It started hundreds of years ago and is deeply engrained in British culture. People in Britain are absolutely obsessed with class and love to think they're of a higher class than someone else. Automatically having a job which requires the use of your hands, i.e electrician, plumber, builder makes you working class and thus someone who can be looked down on and treat like dirt.
A lot of folk in the UK really will treat you like shit if you have a job they see as 'inferior' or if you live in an undesirable area/postcode.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:51 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Tiaribbon
Your arguments seem to be based on the Conservative ideology, so I respect your political views, however:

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Having a lot of money is as much a burden as having too little and anyone who says it isn't, quite obviously hasn't had it!
That is total rubbish, that can only be said by someone who hasn't experienced poverty.

Darren

PS I haven't had it,

all that money, such a burden, TVR? Lotus? oh what a dilemma
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:07 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

That is total rubbish, that can only be said by someone who hasn't experienced poverty.

Darren

PS I haven't had it,
So if you haven't had it, how can you say (with any true knowledge) that it is total rubbish?? You may try to imagine that it is rubbish, but you cannot categorically state this as a fact I'm afraid.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:14 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

ditto, have you had 'too little' to back up your original statement?

D

So if you haven't had it, how can you say (with any true knowledge) that it is total rubbish?? You may try to imagine that it is rubbish, but you cannot categorically state this as a fact I'm afraid.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:18 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

all that money, such a burden, TVR? Lotus? oh what a dilemma
These are cars - most people in the UK have a car. Whether it be an Aston Martin or an Austin Morris, who cares........they are a vehicle which gets you from A to B, that's all.

You are giving me the impression that you are someone who lives in an "executive" estate house - you know, the ones with the bathroom en-suites! Checking out whether the neighbour's new car is a Ghia or just the LX model.

Houses are houses, cars are cars, clothes are clothes, TV's are TV's - you can only have so many.........then what?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:24 pm
Premium Member

ditto, have you had 'too little' to back up your original statement?

D
LMAO!! - I knewwwwww you were going to reply with this.

I don't know if I have or not. I have never felt like I have had too little but you tell me; I have never not worked in my life and I have never had hand-outs. I worked as a groom for a spell - I worked from 6.30am until 7pm 6 days a week and I earned £100 per week; this paid for my rent, food, heating, electricity, petrol, clothing, going out etc Is this on the bread line? I don't know, how much disposable income does someone on Benefits receive?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Having a lot of money is as much a burden as having too little and anyone who says it isn't, quite obviously hasn't had it!
Different kind of burden. I know which i would rather have to carry, after all the rich can always give it all up and try living in poverty for a while if they want, but that doesnt work in reverse.

I watched a doc on TVO about a mother of 6 living below the poverty line on an annual income less than $10k. Very moving, and she had raised trully wonderful kids. If she claimed welfare she would have been no better off, and CAS would probably have taken the kids into care, which her bastard landlord threatened her with. The whole system seemed stacked against those most in need.

It was called "No place called home", I would thoroughly recomend it as humble pie for anyone feeling sorry for themselves and there lot in life.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 28th 2005 at 7:01 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:41 pm
Journeyman Canadian

You are giving me the impression that you are someone who lives in an "executive" estate house - you know, the ones with the bathroom en-suites! Checking out whether the neighbour's new car is a Ghia or just the LX model.
What gave you that impression?

D
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:44 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I have or not. I have never felt like I have had too little but you tell me; I have never not worked in my life and I have never had hand-outs. I worked as a groom for a spell - I worked from 6.30am until 7pm 6 days a week and I earned £100 per week; this paid for my rent, food, heating, electricity, petrol, clothing, going out etc Is this on the bread line? I don't know, how much disposable income does someone on Benefits receive?

Try this. Four children to feed. $4.34 in your purse. Three days to go before child support comes in. No hydro because the ex had you cut off when he left, you have no credit, can't get it back on. Welfare won't help for three weeks, because you have made no "contributions" to EI in your own right. Pick who gets to eat? The youngest kids, who are crying the loudest for the first two days at least, or the eldest so that they can help you walk three miles to and from the food bank to get four tins of spaghetti and a couple of boxes of Kraft Dinner? And while you are at it, tell me where you go to heat up the Mac N Cheese if you have no power? That's poor, that's where I ended up at one point and that's where most of the people I work with are at. Many of them are there through no fault of their own. For heaven's sake, have some compassion. When you have money (as you evidently do) you have no clue what a "burden" is.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:45 pm
Premium Member

What gave you that impression?

D
LOL!!!!! You do though, don't you!!! Hee hee!! God I'm good.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:46 pm
Journeyman Canadian

As Iain said, benefits will keep you on the poverty line, or comfortable, but won't allow you to get out of the 'rut'.

D
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:48 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by iaink
Different kind of burden. I know which i would rather have to carry .......
I agree completely, on both counts.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:52 pm
Journeyman Canadian

LOL!!!!! You do though, don't you!!! Hee hee!! God I'm good.
No I don't, poor psycho analysis! Come on! What gave you that impression?

D
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:00 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by dingbat
For heaven's sake, have some compassion.
Yes that is indeed a sad story and I am not implying that people around the world do not have it bad. I have compassion, that is why I do what I can for those in need, humans and animals.

However this does not sidetrack me from the issue being discussed. This attitude that Brits have with anyone who happens to do well for themselves and that somehow poor people are so much better than rich people is so alien to me. I sit and watch all of these programs with the people who appear to be complete idiots who take all their worldly possession, often not many, and try to cut it in a foreign land. Even when they have the most hair-brained scheme, I am still rooting for them to succeed! A couple of times after watching these programmes I have chatted with my friends about it and you know which type of friends sit there saying that they hoped that this family wouldn't succeed? Never have I heard any of my rich friends want these people to fall flat on their faces........... why is that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.