British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   When your chips are down .. What do you do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/when-your-chips-down-what-do-you-do-582934/)

sas-lou Jan 9th 2009 5:30 pm

Re: When your chips are down .. What do you do?

You guys are amazing .. Thank you so much for all of your kind words ..

I am in a more positive place now. I have made some calls and apparantly i can survive being a single parent in Ottawa with my somewhat limited funds (until i get a job that is). I have an appointment on Monday with someone to help me find a reasonably priced place here and i have my children .. what more do i need????

(He is not the children's dad, he doesn't behave like a father around them, more of a male role model .. He wants to remain my friend but i need to break away, who knows in time, but i don't think he would come and see the children to be honest, the boys have me and they will have me all to themselves)

Anyway .. you all have a good day ..:thumbsup:

TrishP Jan 9th 2009 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by sas-lou (Post 7146016)

I am in a more positive place now. I have made some calls and apparantly i can survive being a single parent in Ottawa with my somewhat limited funds (until i get a job that is). I have an appointment on Monday with someone to help me find a reasonably priced place here and i have my children .. what more do i need????

(He is not the children's dad, he doesn't behave like a father around them, more of a male role model .. He wants to remain my friend but i need to break away, who knows in time, but i don't think he would come and see the children to be honest, the boys have me and they will have me all to themselves)

Sent you a PM!

SambaDeAmigo Jan 9th 2009 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by sas-lou (Post 7146016)

Yep, don't give this guy a chance to hurt you again. Start rebuilding your life now with your sons.

timballs Jan 9th 2009 6:06 pm

I read your post at work at lunchtime and wanted to wait until I got home to reply. One thing I didn't notice in the replies - you're still very young. You're only 29 - you've got your whole life ahead of you and this is just a blip. It might not be the first or the last blip, but it's still just a blip and you'll get over it and you'll be a stronger person for it.

What I was going to say though was you mentioned that your kids were happy and settled. Have you discussed anything with them? I quickly scanned through your previous posts and they sound old and wise enough to understand? I think you should have a heart-to-heart with them and ask them what they think and what they want to do. I know you're putting on a front for the kids, but we all know how smart they are. They are bound to know there is something very wrong. Knowing how they feel will help you come to the right decision.

clynnog Jan 9th 2009 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by sas-lou (Post 7145362)
And that is part of my problem .. i am such an active person, not working and being stuck in the house (par walking to bayshore/linclonfields/carlingwood mall), its driving me crazy .. and now the drivers have said no in the vote yesterday .. Just sack them all, its rediculous .. the buses are an essential service .. but the good thing is having 3 malls within an hours walking distance should up my chances of finding something/anything.

I have just been on the phone with OCISO, they are an organisation that help new immigrants in Ottawa ..the lady told me that with my savings i should be fine to be out of work for 4 months, she has given me a phone number to call a housing organisation who help people find affordable accomodation and has offered to email me with some info about jobs openings with my experience. That was very kind of her .. so i am feeling a little more optimistic now ..

Would any of the housing co-ops work for you or do they have a long waiting list. There are a couple along Richmond Road between Bayshore and Westboro.

What are your job skills?....if you let this board know, they may be able to give you some tips/leads/contacts etc in that field.

Sorry to hear about your situation?....is your husband Canadian and that is the reason you came here?

If you can make a go of it here in Canada, that would be my suggestion...your kids are settled here from what you say and you can overcome this initial adversity.

mandymoochops Jan 9th 2009 6:31 pm

Sas believe me I know this can be done - and it can have a very very happy ending.

I've pm'd you and am always here like I said us girls born in Leicester are made of very strong stuff!!!!! :wub::wub:

Ruby Murray Jan 9th 2009 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 7145058)
I'll keep this short and I'll probably get grief for this but I would go home and get the support and comfort you need.:wub: I hope things work out no matter what you decide. I can't see how your kids can be truly happy in Canada if you are miserable.

I'm glad you said this first Elaine, that's why I'm hiding behind you on this one in agreement to going home for the support network - but there again, you and I are biased ;)

Sas-Lou....seriously, whatever you decide to do for yourself and your children, I'm sure you will give it a lot of thought and you do have a great support network of "friends" here on B.E. And if you do have to return to the UK, please, don't beat yourself up about it. None of it was your fault and you didn't deserve to be treated so shoddily by that idiot of a man.
Take care, stay strong and go with the flow hun:wub:
Ruby xx

Cassie 10000 Jan 9th 2009 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by sas-lou (Post 7144930)
Everything has gone to crap so i'm looking at options available to me now.

I have just been to the DEFRA website, to see how i return my cat to the UK with us (if we take that option) and unfortunately because she isn't on a pet passport, she would have to go into quarantine for 6 months .. ouch .. Hubby doesn't want her as apparantly she is my cat now .. Nice ..

I basically have 2 options available now ..

STAY IN CANADA ..

I have no job yet, nowhere to live as i wouldn't be able to afford this place i'm in at the moment, but my kids are so happy here and i do have about $13K savings (hubby transferred a little money into my account last night) and keep my cat with me. The bus strike vote yesterday was not good news so i also don't have means to travel far ..

GO BACK TO THE UK ..

I have no job, nowhere to live (although i could stay with my mum for a few days but her house is so small), i wont have my cat, my kids will have to go back to a Leicester school, so my eldest's confidence can go back down the toilet .. but i will have support ..

Hubby is moving out tonight for a week so i can try and get things sorted. i am so low that i'm starting to have silly thoughts (you get the idea, wont say it as i don't want to get upset again) .. i have been in tears all morning although hid it very well from the children.
Hubby doesn't want me now and i feel so ashamed as i physically went for him last night .. he knows how low i feel and i am trying everything in my power to make our marriage work but he is just rubbing salt in the wound. Im crying out to feel loved but get no affection in return other than a kiss on the forehead or a kiss on the lips whilst he is looking away, maybe that makes him feel better, knowing i ended it so he can feel less guilt .. I want him to feel guilt .. I came here for something better, now i'm told i emotionally blackmailed him, bull, he could of told me it was over whilst i was in the UK ..

Anyway .. i don't have a clue what to do .. other than cry some more and smoke .. lol ..

I have been talking back and forth with some people on this site about my marriage problems .. and had some very good advice given .. Some days i am strong and i say "yes i can make this work in Canada alone" other days i am so confused .. I can accept my marriage is over (i deserve better anyway and i will divorce him on the grounds of adultry) .. Its the "What should i do next" that scares the hell out of me ..

Any advice?????? Does anyone have a crystal ball???

I've sent you a PM.

I'm so sorry about your situation.

sarahandshaun Jan 9th 2009 8:28 pm

Hi Sas

To answer your question "when the chips are down?" I would come out fighting. However, that's easy for me to say sitting in England. Give him a tent and a blanket and tell him can kip in the park. Keep your posts on BE going as there are plenty of people who can help you out no matter what you decide. Take him to the cleaners. The English rose has always had a canny habit of flourishing even in it's darkest hour.:) Wishing you all the best and good luck

Shaun

fledermaus Jan 9th 2009 8:29 pm

Sometimes the crap stuff in life gets you to a good place.

Do you know anyone in Ottawa? I have a friend who moved there a few months ago, she doesnt know anyone there either, she's Canadian. If you like I can put you in contact with her. PM me if you would like this.

MikeUK Jan 9th 2009 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 7145412)
So you feel safer I would make sure you had enough money in an account for flights for you and your boys to get back to the UK. This is something I did when we first got here, I made sure I had enough money to at least get back to the UK if necessary (spent most of it now I feel secure:rofl:). .

I'd take some time out to try to build your self a panic fund, having an account with enough money to run with allows you choices
as a result it will help lower stress levels

Caitilin Jan 9th 2009 9:45 pm

I think you need to decide if you (not hte husband, you) want to stay, or not, and concentrate your energies into that one option instead of splitting them over two.

*hugs*

good luck.

nikki dreaming Jan 9th 2009 9:47 pm

Hi Saslou

Sorry to hear what's happened, I'm sure you will make the right decision for you and your boys, take care:wub::thumbup:

Piff Poff Jan 9th 2009 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK (Post 7146701)
I'd take some time out to try to build your self a panic fund, having an account with enough money to run with allows you choices
as a result it will help lower stress levels

I'm lucky enough to now be financially secure enough not to need that seperate panic fund. I had kept enough in a UK account for a very rainy day, now that's down to 200 pounds and our joint rainy day fund now could cope any unforseen flights back etc.

Coffeepot Jan 9th 2009 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 7146829)
I'm lucky enough to now be financially secure enough not to need that seperate panic fund. I had kept enough in a UK account for a very rainy day, now that's down to 200 pounds and our joint rainy day fund now could cope any unforseen flights back etc.

So sorry sas, its been a real rollercoaster for you hasn't it :wub:
Its going to be tough but you have been through worse, your a strong young woman, it could actually be the best thing for you as hard as that seems at the moment :blink:

Its up to you what you do but think about what you would be coming back to ? read some of your own posts from before you left if you need reminding, give it a go there and if all else fails then come back at least you have a choice now.

Big hugs hun xx