British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   When we land at Calgary - help please? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/when-we-land-calgary-help-please-779042/)

JulieLord Nov 28th 2012 1:38 pm

When we land at Calgary - help please?

Hey everyone! :thumbsup:

So we fly out to Calgary next Wednesday 5th December and was hoping for a few pointers please. I have searched the forums, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

When we get off the plane in Calgary is there any particular que we should join to sort out our work permits? I have to be honest, I am quite scared at the prospects of this.. I don't know if we collect our bags first then do the immigration/work permit bit, or what??:o

After we have done all that, we then need to find the Cargo terminal to collect our dogs, I have directions in place for that as it's not within walking distance. So, if some of you could maybe share your experience after getting off the plane in Calgary and after.. that would hopefully ease my stress levels before I go and get the dogs!! :fingerscrossed:

Also, and maybe Former Lancastarian can answer this for me please??. Can I take my blood sugar level tester and a couple of sharps with me in my hand luggage??

I have put 3 months worth of meds for myself and hubby into each of our suitcases to be put on as checked baggage and we have proof of the meds required from my GP here in the UK... will this be sufficient?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before :o

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Former Lancastrian Nov 28th 2012 1:57 pm

Re: When we land at Calgary - help please?

Im not sure if Calgary has a residents and non residents line. When you reach a CBSA officer you just tell them you are applying for a work permit and you will be directed to the Immigration office.
As for the blood sugar tester and sharps security at your departure airport decide what can be carried so we dont have a say in that.
Make sure you are carrying any paperwork in your carry on rather than checked baggage. I find it amusing when LMOs, contracts etc are in checked bags that dont arrive the traveller not as amused :lol:
CBSA will give you directions on how to collect your dogs.

Jingle Nov 28th 2012 2:03 pm

Hi JulieLord ...

Former Lancastrian has concisely answered your questions so I just want to send you (and your dogs!) good wishes for your trip.

I'm sure there are so many things swimming around in your mind at the moment but just breathe deeply when you step off the plane and take everything one step at a time.

You'll be fine and welcome to Calgary ... and onwards to Saskatoon!

J :)

JulieLord Nov 28th 2012 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10405811)
Im not sure if Calgary has a residents and non residents line. When you reach a CBSA officer you just tell them you are applying for a work permit and you will be directed to the Immigration office.
As for the blood sugar tester and sharps security at your departure airport decide what can be carried so we dont have a say in that.
Make sure you are carrying any paperwork in your carry on rather than checked baggage. I find it amusing when LMOs, contracts etc are in checked bags that dont arrive the traveller not as amused :lol:
CBSA will give you directions on how to collect your dogs.

Thanks for the advice.. you are a star!

lol, don't worry, I shall have my paperwork in my carry on.

cheers :thumbsup:

JulieLord Nov 28th 2012 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 10405815)
Hi JulieLord ...

Former Lancastrian has concisely answered your questions so I just want to send you (and your dogs!) good wishes for your trip.

I'm sure there are so many things swimming around in your mind at the moment but just breathe deeply when you step off the plane and take everything one step at a time.

You'll be fine and welcome to Calgary ... and onwards to Saskatoon!

J :)

Thanks soo much!! yep, my head is in a shed right now!! :rofl:

beautiful050278 Nov 28th 2012 2:48 pm

Hi there,

The Calgary airport is so much smaller than we Brits are used to (flying from Heathrow anyway). You have nothing to worry about at all. Our dog was waiting for us by the back wall with all the prams and car seats:thumbsup:

Have a good flight :D

Yandros Nov 28th 2012 2:52 pm

As noted FL has answered your specific questions, but I just wanted to say don't worry about it. We were similarly nervous when we landed a couple of years ago, but it was all very straightforward and all the officials (CBSA, immigration, airport, etc) couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming.
Main thing to remember is to have all your paperwork in you hand baggage as you'll need some of it before you get youe hold baggage.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine.

JulieLord Nov 28th 2012 3:37 pm

Thank you everyone for your help and reassurance... I might be able to get excited now !!:rofl:

Former Lancastrian Nov 28th 2012 3:46 pm

Questions to avoid asking CBSA officers when arriving in Calgary.

Where is your cowboy hat
I bet you drive a Ford F150 with a gun rack.
Which is the best chippy and do they sell mushy peas.
Is it cold outside
Do you have taxis outside
Is the Deerfoot Trail busy and easy to drive on
Wow you dont have much of an accent

JulieLord Nov 28th 2012 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10406012)

Where is your cowboy hat
Is it cold outside

lol!! :rofl::rofl:

Lets just hope they will be kind to me when I say I'm going to be living and working in Saskatchewan!

I'd love to be a CBSA officer :D

mkmicky1 Nov 28th 2012 3:53 pm

or if your really brave you could go wow you really do have an accent like and american.

JulieLord Nov 28th 2012 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by mkmicky1 (Post 10406035)
or if your really brave you could go wow you really do have an accent like and american.

I think I will just answer questions when asked, be polite, smile and hope they like my Welsh accent!!!! ha ha:fingerscrossed:

beautiful050278 Nov 28th 2012 3:56 pm

I forgot to mention, double check the paperwok once its done.

They messed up my name on my TWP:thumbdown:

JulieLord Nov 28th 2012 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by beautiful050278 (Post 10406042)
I fogrot to mention, double check the paperwok once its done.

They messed up my name on my TWP:thumbdown:

Okie dokie, shall do. Thank you :-:thumbup:

Hawk13 Nov 28th 2012 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10406012)

Where is your cowboy hat
Is it cold outside

Must not get paid much - I thought everyone had a turbo diesel F350 with a lift kit