Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

when is the right time

when is the right time

Old May 11th 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when is the right time

im desperately seeking work as a carpenter in the calgary area with no luck what so ever, so my next stage is to go to canada and search. My question is when would be a good time to come over as the job front for carpenters are no so good at the moment, would i be wasting my time i wonder. Me and my family are really fed up with no job luck at all..any advice desperatley welcome.
Old May 11th 2009, 2:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when is the right time

Originally Posted by shazza69
im desperately seeking work as a carpenter in the calgary area with no luck what so ever, so my next stage is to go to canada and search. My question is when would be a good time to come over as the job front for carpenters are no so good at the moment, would i be wasting my time i wonder. Me and my family are really fed up with no job luck at all..any advice desperatley welcome.
Does it have to be limited to the Calgary area? Just thinking that if you are prepared to consider all the other areas of Canada, you may well be luckier.

I know that construction jobs have been hit badly by the recession in Canada, but you'd probably have more luck over there. If you read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, you'll learn that face to face contact is usually the best way to get a job offer - but of course the problem at the moment isn't just the job offer, but also the LMO. Getting a LMO is proving much trickier as there are so many Canadians out of work.

I will move this to the relevant section of the forum so hopefully more people will see it, and hope a carpenter or two will be along to give you advice shortly.

Best of luck.
Old May 11th 2009, 6:11 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: when is the right time

truthfully, from our experience, the only way to truley get a job in canada, is face to face contact, as already mentioned! get over here and trundle around. it worked for us, almost instantly! got very fed up with applying for jobs from a distance and so had a nice holiday as well as finding work........

i have heard that the alberta construction industry has been hit by a 90% decline but if you really want to come to canada, go somewhere where the work is, then move to somewhere where you want to be once all the paperwork is done! saskatoon is busy with construction......

good luck....