Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When Does Homesickness Kick in?

When Does Homesickness Kick in?

Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:34 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: When Does Homesickness Kick in?

Originally Posted by scilly
Hi!!

Oldham was still the dirty old mill town when I left for good in 1967. The mills were closing down, but clean up had not begun. We were last back there in 2001.

I went to school at Counthill, in the days when it was brand new, and that was great ............ on the top of a hill, only farms around it, and views for miles.
I'm younger than you are but I remember all the old abandoned mills. I remember watching Fred Dibnah demolish a few of them when I was a kid in the 90's. Even in the 4 and a half years I've been here it's changed, which is nice for the town. I always felt Oldham was forgotten, when all the other towns were being re-developed it just stood stale.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

there seemed to be a lack of enthusiasm for things the last couple of times we were back.

Fred Dibnah??? That name strikes a bell with me. I wonder why??

I was delighted to read that Alexandria Park had been re-vitalised, and the boating lake back in use ......

....... I spent a lot of my childhood days until the age of 11 playing in that park ...... we lived less than 5 minutes away! It was freedom back then ............ left home after breakfast, went back for lunch, then back out again until tea.

We moved to Waterhead when I was 11, and that was like being in a village, but there were several mills down "in the bottom". I think all of those were closed down by the time I left.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Just read up about him!

I remember reading about him somewhere years and years ago.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:54 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

It's changed in the last few years. They got rid of the train tracks and integrated it on to the tram system. They've finally done something with the old town hall too (I'm pretty sure it's a cinema - which the town hasn't had in a number of years).

He used to have shows on the BBC I think. I just remember him from demolishing chimneys.

I didn't know that about Alexandra Park. I didn't go there often, it was really run down as I remember it.

I grew up in Chadderton and moved to Shaw in my late teens. There was a working mill in Shaw until quite recently but they closed it and put up an Asda.

I'm going back at the end of the month, wondering what else has changed in the 2 years since I was last there.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

well, I know they demolished Counthill school buildings 2 years ago, as redundant

A new estate was built up all around it, no community buildings. It's still a demolition site according to photos I've seen on FB

Why didn't they renovate the school for community use??

It will be interesting to know how you see the town.

I went back in 1970 when my Dad died, 3 years away, and I got lost in the middle of the town!

They'd demolished some buildings, changed roads around ........ I just stood there and looked amazed, as I tried to find out where I had to go to catch the bus to go see my friend's mother
Old Oct 6th 2016, 2:49 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

We rented in Fairfield, Bury and I did an Obs and Gynae job at a Royal Oldham Hospital. Having trained in Manchester, we were used to the old mill towns in the 90s. Oldham was I'm sad to say a tad run diwn, maybe not now. Rochdale similar. Ramsbottom was really smartened up though- nice place now.

We lived in a little miners cottage on the hills in Affetside - our house was in Bury and front garden was in Bolton! Lovely place near Holcombe Moor. No doubt Affetside hasn't changed though the mill towns probably have.Great dog walking area, Wayoh and Entwhistle reservoirs, Tockholes near Darwen was amazing...
Old Oct 6th 2016, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear ...............

I knew Royal Oldham as Oldham and District General Hospital ......... the very earliest parts were Oldham and District Union Workhouse

I had a horrible experience having my appendix removed in Oldham and District in 1959, a huge ward with over 30 beds in it.

It is famous for being where Louise Brown, first "test tube" baby was born, under Patrick Steptoe. He was well known in Oldham as a first rate gynecologist & Obstetrician, which is why I always remember Louise Brown!
Old Oct 6th 2016, 5:48 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Oh dear ...............

I knew Royal Oldham as Oldham and District General Hospital ......... the very earliest parts were Oldham and District Union Workhouse

I had a horrible experience having my appendix removed in Oldham and District in 1959, a huge ward with over 30 beds in it.

It is famous for being where Louise Brown, first "test tube" baby was born, under Patrick Steptoe. He was well known in Oldham as a first rate gynecologist & Obstetrician, which is why I always remember Louise Brown!
Yeah, I was working in the dept of Obs and Gynae and there were large wall did plays of Steptoe . Louise has I gather recently had her own baby there
Old Oct 6th 2016, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

I once had Steptoe's partner as my gynae doctor ........ and that was where I first really learnt about 2 level medical practices. This was back in 1966, and once again Royal Oldham.

It wasn't me, but a lady on the same ward was diagnosed with uterine cancer ........ Mr whoever (I've completely forgotten his name!!), who hadn't been operating because of a sore throat so we had all been left to the tender mercies of his more or less competent Registrars (I use that phrase advisedly!), told this poor lady that she had a wait of at least 4 months in the NHS, but if she cared to go to his private clinic in Manchester, he could operate on her in 4 days

I was glad after hearing what he said that he'd told me what I had wrong but refused to do anything because "you are too young".

......... and yes, most of the 12 of us then on the ward did hear what he said because we'd all been moved up to one end of the ward while they painted the walls!

In fact, he turned out to have been wrong with his diagnosis of what was wrong with me ......... but that wasn't found out until 2 or 3 years later, over here.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisAsh
Hey,

Just wondering when homesickness kick in or if it will at all

Been in SK for about 3 months now and haven't felt it once, I thought these first few months would be hell, but its been really really easy.

I've moved out alone, no family came along. I won't be going home for Christmas due to work, so maybe then.

I guess it is different for everyone, feeling pretty lucky so far, maybe I won't even feel it? (That makes me feel a little guilty actually)
11 years here, homesickness kicked in 2 years ago when I became unwell and worsened the more I had to battle with the healthcare system and couldn't help comparing current treatment with previous NHS treatment, which was absolutely brilliant. I also found that the less energy I had, the less able I was to be able to put up with the shallowness of friendships here. I've been feeling less homesick over the past few months since feeling a tad better and energy levels have improved, but it's rearing its head more frequently now to the point where (Canadian) hubby and I have had "the talk" about moving back to the UK and are planning on heading over in 2017 for a recce visit. We don't live anywhere near any of his family, so we're on our own here in Ottawa and flying from the UK to see them would actually be faster than travelling from here.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems anything to do with healthcare is a battle here.

Originally Posted by TrishP
11 years here, homesickness kicked in 2 years ago when I became unwell and worsened the more I had to battle with the healthcare system and couldn't help comparing current treatment with previous NHS treatment, which was absolutely brilliant. I also found that the less energy I had, the less able I was to be able to put up with the shallowness of friendships here. I've been feeling less homesick over the past few months since feeling a tad better and energy levels have improved, but it's rearing its head more frequently now to the point where (Canadian) hubby and I have had "the talk" about moving back to the UK and are planning on heading over in 2017 for a recce visit. We don't live anywhere near any of his family, so we're on our own here in Ottawa and flying from the UK to see them would actually be faster than travelling from here.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Seems anything to do with healthcare is a battle here.
Having worked in healthcare both in the UK and Canada for 20 years and been a recipient of services in both countries, I was horrified at the major gaps between services here. I previously managed a couple of programs for seniors here in Ottawa and was very strict with my staff about making sure that no one fell through the cracks, to make sure referrals to other services were completed and followed up until clients were accepted and that clients were kept in the communication loop at all times.
Too much responsibility is placed on the shoulders of sick people here to find out what they're entitled to and having to self-refer onwards for care and chase services providers for basic communication. So many times I was ready to throw in the towel as I hardly had the energy to get out of bed in the morning and what little energy I had was focused on my toddler son.

I gave up my job when I had my son, but can confidently say I will never work in healthcare here in Ontario again, it was too frustrating, too bureaucratic and basically downright inefficient. I'm now in a position where I have to find $20K per annum for a new medication that I will have to take for the rest of my puff!
Old Oct 8th 2016, 10:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
Too much responsibility is placed on the shoulders of sick people here to find out what they're entitled to and having to self-refer onwards for care and chase services providers for basic communication.
I can relate to that but there are exceptions and I've come across a fair few - usually with doctors' secretaries and occasionally a service provider - admittedly because their knowledge of what you can get is linked to their ability to make money from it

Tell you what though, it doesn't help when people keep repeating the mantra about programs for people on low incomes and putting people off looking for assistance when there are actually schemes (not very well advertised of course) for people not necessarily on low incomes but with high medical expenses the net effect is similar in that the medical cost can leave you skint.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 12:03 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can relate to that but there are exceptions and I've come across a fair few - usually with doctors' secretaries and occasionally a service provider - admittedly because their knowledge of what you can get is linked to their ability to make money from it

Tell you what though, it doesn't help when people keep repeating the mantra about programs for people on low incomes and putting people off looking for assistance when there are actually schemes (not very well advertised of course) for people not necessarily on low incomes but with high medical expenses the net effect is similar in that the medical cost can leave you skint.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-help...ion-drug-costs like this one, for instance.
Old Oct 9th 2016, 1:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
like this one, for instance.

What you pay

When your application is approved, the letter you receive will confirm the amount of the annual deductible you’ll need to pay. It will also list all the household members included in the coverage.

A deductible is a set amount towards the cost of your drugs. After you pay that amount, you then pay up to $2 for each drug, per person, that is filled or refilled.

Calculating the deductible

For most people, the deductible for the Trillium Drug Program equals about 3 to 4% of the household income after taxes.
You don't need to be a maths genius to see that even if you're on $60,000 NET pay, you may get some assistance with drugs costs if they are above $2,000 a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.