Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

When does emigrating to Canada become real?

When does emigrating to Canada become real?

Old May 6th 2005, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

pak2 will become famous soon enoughpak2 will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb When does emigrating to Canada become real?

For those that have done or just about too!

For me it was not when I sold my house, got my med requests, got a job, got my work permit.....no it became real this afternoon when I received my airline tickets for a one way flight. In the space reserved for the return flight it just has TBA - (to be arranged). One Way Tickets - there is no return now - reality has just hit home

Anyway it would be interesting to see what others think.

Phil
Old May 6th 2005, 2:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does emigrating to Canada become real?

Originally Posted by pak2

For me it was not when I sold my house, got my med requests, got a job, got my work permit.....no it became real this afternoon when I received my airline tickets for a one way flight. In the space reserved for the return flight it just has TBA - (to be arranged). One Way Tickets - there is no return now - reality has just hit home

Phil
For us, it sank it in in the lobby of the Delta Chelsea hotel in Toronto. We had just walked up Yonge St to Bloor and then down Yonge to the railway tracks at Front St. We thought we must be in a suburb and asked the concierge where the downtown was. He said we were in it and our hearts sank. If we had had the money to go home we would have left immediately.
Old May 6th 2005, 3:02 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Phil
For me it was when I went to apply for my SIN card. I introduced myself to the lady at the desk and she asked for my birth certificate, which I gave her. Her reply was: "that's not a birth certificate".

"Er, yes it is; it says so at the top".

"It's not a Canadian birth certificate".

"Er, no. Didn't we just go over the being a new immigrant bit?"

And so it began.
Old May 6th 2005, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: When does emigrating to Canada become real?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
For me it was when I went to apply for my SIN card. I introduced myself to the lady at the desk and she asked for my birth certificate, which I gave her. Her reply was: "that's not a birth certificate".

And so it began.
Something to look forward to!

Phil
Old May 6th 2005, 3:17 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Phil
Reality of living here kicked in after about three years for me. After my first visit "home" to the UK I realised home was really Canada now, and that did it for me.
Old May 6th 2005, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: When does emigrating to Canada become real?

Originally Posted by iaink
Reality of living here kicked in after about three years for me. After my first visit "home" to the UK I realised home was really Canada now, and that did it for me.
Iaink,

I see that there are going to be numerous realizations on the way. I am now looking forward to them all (I think!). But I am particularly looking forward to stepping through Canadian Immigration in three weeks time to start my new life in Canada - things may change when I get there but my mind is open to whatever lays ahead.

Phil
Old May 6th 2005, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

DavidL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
For us, it sank it in in the lobby of the Delta Chelsea hotel in Toronto. We had just walked up Yonge St to Bloor and then down Yonge to the railway tracks at Front St. We thought we must be in a suburb and asked the concierge where the downtown was. He said we were in it and our hearts sank. If we had had the money to go home we would have left immediately.

we stayed in that hotel in 2003, very nice hotel, question i have is are you glad that you didn't leave for home that night......??
Old May 6th 2005, 4:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidL
we stayed in that hotel in 2003, very nice hotel, question i have is are you glad that you didn't leave for home that night......??
In a word, yes.
Old May 6th 2005, 4:15 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Come to think of it, my new career as an immigrant almost ended the morning after I got off the plane. We were driving in downtown TO (she was driving) and came to a 4-way intersection. We were headed straight on, the bus to our left (blind-siding us) was turning left. My Mrs halted at the stop sign and then moved on, as there was nothing waiting to our right. As it turned out, it was a 3-way stop. We came that close to being T-boned by a big pick-up moving at fair speed from the left. I suspect his skid marks are still there. Mine certainly are.

At that point I had no medical insurance.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

aahtuk is on a distinguished road

First hit was when I crossed the USA-Canada land crossing (a bridge - to add to the excitement!) and realized there is no going back (need a new visa to enter the USA)...

Second hit was when I visited home for 2 months - the first time since entering Canada - and after 6 weeks at home, I realized it is time to go back to Toronto and start a real life for good.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

gtrvox1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good one...I seem to recall you and I had a recent political disagreement but boy, oh boy - you're bang on on this one!! I had nearly the same experience. Went for a walk *downtown* a few days after arrival, walked a bit east and a bit west off Yonge on Queen Street. My walk took about ten minutes, then I called my wife and told her I couldn't find downtown and was coming home. Queen and Yonge, hehehe! That was about twenty five years ago. Not sure it's a whole lot better now. I'm just accustomed to it

GTR
Old May 6th 2005, 10:45 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir

And so it began.

OMG!!! What a welcome to Canada. Well, it didn't leave you with unfeasibly high expectations of Canadian bureaucracy did it