Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

when do I show goods to follow list?

when do I show goods to follow list?

Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:17 am
ACL
Forum Regular

ACL will become famous soon enough
Default when do I show goods to follow list?

Not sure if this should go in immigration section or not but Mr Miller is not here to tell me off so thought this a better place to be!!!

OK.....we have a 3 month hols booked to NS....we fly out in a few days from the UK. Our boxes for our new holiday home are being shipped out in a week or twos time and I need to know whether I should report this to customs and give them my list when we land or should this be done when we are contacted to pick up our cargo a couple of weeks later?

Thanks!!!

Oh also we are taking our dog with us and she will arrive a few days after us......once again, same question as above!!!

Old Jun 26th 2004, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

For the goods to follow list, you present this to customs when you land. So you will basically go to immigration and do the landing bit and then you go through to customs and declare everthing you have with you as personal effects etc and usually they just wave it all through witohut searching it etc. You then present them with the list of goods to follow and they will check it over and fill in their relevant form and attach it all and file it and then they make a note on your landing documents etc and then you go off into Canada as a PR.

Then later when your goods actually arrive your shipping company should contact you and you have to go to customs in person to release them. The company I used arranged to meet me at the customs office in Toronto and make sure I did it right but basically you present them with all the documentation you have and they check it all off and sign some stuff, make a note you got your goods and then that's it. The shippers can then get it released and deliver it to your residence. Nothing to it really.

Drew