Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's Your Story?

What's Your Story?

Old Jul 24th 2005, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future
Default Re: What's Your Story?

Originally Posted by sysclp
One thing that may stop you from getting any job at a bank (even their call centre) is the lack of a Canadian credit report. Apparently there is some rule or law here that you can't work for a bank if you don't have an excellent credit report. I know for sure that is true for their call centres as a friend of ours was trying to get a job there and they liked her except she couldn't pass the credit check so didn't get the job.
Thanks for that.
It doesn't surprise me, although I also think it might be due to my UK
qualifications. I was insulted to discover recently that I may have to take a Canadian numeracy course to prove my mathematics skills were good enough to work in a bank!
Evidently a degree in Engineering isn't good enough!

Just one more slap in the face.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:46 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seacreature
Thanks for that.
It doesn't surprise me, although I also think it might be due to my UK
qualifications. I was insulted to discover recently that I may have to take a Canadian numeracy course to prove my mathematics skills were good enough to work in a bank!
Evidently a degree in Engineering isn't good enough!

Just one more slap in the face.
SC,

been looking at various messages by yourself and it would appear fetting a job is very difficult in Canuckland. I can believe it about Natwest... I worked for them for 15 years and my wife still does in HR. Cant believe someone with a degree in Eng cant get a job. I think we have resigned ourselves to not getting in... borderline on points and to be perfectly honest.... I'm not that bothered... either way is fine. If the PRV came through tomorrow, I guess we would give it a damn good try but in the same breath if the big **** u came through wouldnt be that bothered either. Been doing all the research etc for so long you get to that point where it wears you down.

Anyway, as compensation, went out yesterday and bought a Mini Cooper S and had a great laugh driving back from the dealers and then down to Devon for the afternoon... being in the UK aint all bad I guess.

Chin up !
Old Jul 25th 2005, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Hi guys!

I was away for the weekend doing one of the canadian traditions!.....
Trailer park and cottage life

i must admit! back in the UK it would be a once a year vacation to hhhmmmm!
Butlins,pontins, or which ever deal the Sun had. Or maybe even spain!
I love the weekends at the trailer. I was fishing most of the weekend and yes Guys! Us women can catch fish I stood next to the docks and fished between the boats and guess what?....
8 guys,1 woman and i got two Large mouth bass(both 14 " long)! and the guys got nothing! Oh yes i got the male attitudes!
Not bad for a women who only fished as a child in Lyme Regis on a boat.
SORRY BUT I HAD TO RUB IT IN!

There are many things i do enjoy about Canada such as:

Pig roasts! yumm yumm!

weekends away!

long hot summers!

Beautiful lakes!

the chance to actually burn the coals on my BBQ

KD and many other junk foods!

i am sure you will add to this list so i wont carry on!

One thing i do get frustrated with is the cell phone plans! they are a nightmare!
OK! so what have you all been up to!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyblue

Probably showing my ignorance here. Again But what's KD?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Probably showing my ignorance here. Again But what's KD?
Kraft Dinner. In the US it is called Kraft Macaroni and Cheese but in Canada they just call it Kraft Dinner. The current advertising slogan is "Gotta be KD!"
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyblue
Hi guys!

I was away for the weekend doing one of the canadian traditions!.....
Trailer park and cottage life

i must admit! back in the UK it would be a once a year vacation to hhhmmmm!
Butlins,pontins, or which ever deal the Sun had. Or maybe even spain!
I love the weekends at the trailer. I was fishing most of the weekend and yes Guys! Us women can catch fish I stood next to the docks and fished between the boats and guess what?....
8 guys,1 woman and i got two Large mouth bass(both 14 " long)! and the guys got nothing! Oh yes i got the male attitudes!
Not bad for a women who only fished as a child in Lyme Regis on a boat.
SORRY BUT I HAD TO RUB IT IN!

There are many things i do enjoy about Canada such as:

Pig roasts! yumm yumm!

weekends away!

long hot summers!

Beautiful lakes!

the chance to actually burn the coals on my BBQ

i am sure you will add to this list so i wont carry on!

One thing i do get frustrated with is the cell phone plans! they are a nightmare!
OK! so what have you all been up to!
We smoked two racks of ribs someone brought from the market. Allegedly these were pig parts but, ten people dined on them, then three people ate the remains on Sunday and there's still a meal there, so they may have come from some sort of dinosaur. We also smoked a Boston butt for pulled pork so, all in all, pretty much a whole pig was eaten. The main street by us was closed for a festival http://www.beachesjazz.com/ so after barbecuing we wandered along and watched some bands.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sysclp
Kraft Dinner. In the US it is called Kraft Macaroni and Cheese but in Canada they just call it Kraft Dinner. The current advertising slogan is "Gotta be KD!"
Doh, I did know that, honest! Eaten enough of the stuff... We're still waiting on our container and cooking equipment so been trying to kid the little one that it's tasty stuff. He's not fooled.

I was assuming it was a restaurant and wracking my brains for one of those with the initials "K D"! ALmost settled on it being a donut chain before your reply
Old Jul 25th 2005, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Doh, I did know that, honest! Eaten enough of the stuff... We're still waiting on our container and cooking equipment so been trying to kid the little one that it's tasty stuff. He's not fooled.

There' all kinds of ways to spiffy it up like mixing in cooked hamburger for instance. Try the Kraft site for more ideas http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=recipe
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flashman
There' all kinds of ways to spiffy it up like mixing in cooked hamburger for instance. Try the Kraft site for more ideas http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=recipe
My teen puts V8 in it. Yeuurch!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 7:12 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flashman
When I was younger, there was a pub chain (Fog & Suds? maybe they still exist?) that served KD on their menu. It came in the pot it was cooked in, complete with a wooden spoon. You could have it plain or for an extra buck with a couple of sliced-up fried hotdog weiners tossed in.

I never ordered it as I was and still am a closet KD eater.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

My dad always mixed ketchup with his. I used to bring boxes back from the US and eat a box to myself for dinner when I was a teenager.

I have actually seen it in the UK, marketing as "Kraft Macaroni Cheese"...tasted pretty similar, but I haven't seen it in a few years. They don't, of course, have the multiple varieties though, I always like the 3-cheese ones.

Of course now that I'm completly lactose-intolerant I can't even go near the stuff...I'm wondering if that's a good or a bad thing, since I seem to remember it turned out like wallpaper paste if you let it sit for more than 30 seconds!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Was thinking about adding our 2 bits.... but wow did this thread go off subject! lol

Oggy
Old Jul 26th 2005, 4:15 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Was thinking about adding our 2 bits.... but wow did this thread go off subject! lol

Oggy
Ah c'mon Oggy you must have a KD story to share .
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys, Newbie here so figured this was as good place to start as any

I moved to Newfoundland last November. Why? 'Cos its a tropical Island paradise of blue seas and white beaches.........oh Ok it is an Island and does have blue seas then! Seriously, moved here for love. Met my soon to be wife in the UK and after 2 years together she persuaded me to move here. Family class emmigration took almost exactly 6 months from submission to approval. Was straightfoward but we elected to use an emmigration lawyer to guide us through the process. Heartily recommend their services if anyones interested.

Moved to NL in November 04. Was tremendously fortunate to get a really good job in my field here before I got here. In fact I have been more successful than my other half who is a teacher and finding it a struggle to get back into the system. No problems with setting up bank accounts and obtaining credit (guess having a job helps!) and bought a house in March which is far bigger and has far more land than the terraced house I am still trying to sell back in UK.

Love Newfoundland for its rugged scenery, clean fresh air, the ocean and above all the people who are without a doubt the friendliest bunch of party animals you could meet anywhere. Have survived my first winter unscathed but got depressed over two months of rain,drizzle and fog in late spring. Howver now the suns shining, I get married in two weeks time and all is well with the world.

Only things I miss from UK apart from family and friends are proper beer and bacon!

Cheers,
A
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Hi Guys, Newbie here so figured this was as good place to start as any

I moved to Newfoundland last November. Why? 'Cos its a tropical Island paradise of blue seas and white beaches.........oh Ok it is an Island and does have blue seas then! Seriously, moved here for love. Met my soon to be wife in the UK and after 2 years together she persuaded me to move here. Family class emmigration took almost exactly 6 months from submission to approval. Was straightfoward but we elected to use an emmigration lawyer to guide us through the process. Heartily recommend their services if anyones interested.

Moved to NL in November 04. Was tremendously fortunate to get a really good job in my field here before I got here. In fact I have been more successful than my other half who is a teacher and finding it a struggle to get back into the system. No problems with setting up bank accounts and obtaining credit (guess having a job helps!) and bought a house in March which is far bigger and has far more land than the terraced house I am still trying to sell back in UK.

Love Newfoundland for its rugged scenery, clean fresh air, the ocean and above all the people who are without a doubt the friendliest bunch of party animals you could meet anywhere. Have survived my first winter unscathed but got depressed over two months of rain,drizzle and fog in late spring. Howver now the suns shining, I get married in two weeks time and all is well with the world.

Only things I miss from UK apart from family and friends are proper beer and bacon!

Cheers,
A
The daughter and son-in-law of a friend of mine operate a micro brewery near St. John's. It has the awful name, Storm, as in "Storm Brewing in Newfoundland" but they make some good beers. They may be worth looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.