Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's Your Story?

What's Your Story?

Old Jul 21st 2005, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Your Story?

Originally Posted by dbd33
South as in hemisphere or just across the border ?
Across the border. Although Mr B is now being told horror stories of litiguous 'merkans so is getting cold feet. I think when he gets properly cold feet (was reading today a Winnipeg winter is colder than an Arctic one?!) his metaphorical ones might thaw a bit.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 5:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Across the border. Although Mr B is now being told horror stories of litiguous 'merkans so is getting cold feet. I think when he gets properly cold feet (was reading today a Winnipeg winter is colder than an Arctic one?!) his metaphorical ones might thaw a bit.
Dunno about dentists but my father-in-bigamistic-common-law is a doctor in the US, he works in a hospital now but had his own office for years. He said he didn't fear litigation so much as the cost of the malpractice premiums. He also said that the book keeping was a huge effort, each patient seemed to have a different insurer and they all had different claims procedures. He looks wistfuly at the idea of a single payer system. I guess collecting payment is the same problem for a dentist either side of the border; there's no single payer for dental work.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 5:54 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

That's very likely. Though it can get incredible cold in the Yukon - the worst I've felt is -36, most of the time in the winter it's just in the mid -20s and that's with perpetual darkness. It's the loooong 5 month night that is the real pain in the ass in winter up there, not so much the cold.

Jingle-bells, jingle-bells... ah Winterpeg! I bet you can't wait!
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:13 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I guess collecting payment is the same problem for a dentist either side of the border; there's no single payer for dental work.
Can tell you dont have dental insurance. There is a single payer...the client! Dentist charge the individual, who then claims it back from their insurer.

As a courtesy most dentists send your claim directly to the insurance provider for you (electronically)...but by then they already have the payment from you, so they are never out of pocket. If the system is down, then its up to you to send the relevant bits of paper off and hope for the best.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:40 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Can tell you dont have dental insurance. There is a single payer...the client! Dentist charge the individual, who then claims it back from their insurer.

As a courtesy most dentists send your claim directly to the insurance provider for you (electronically)...but by then they already have the payment from you, so they are never out of pocket. If the system is down, then its up to you to send the relevant bits of paper off and hope for the best.
That's not universally true. The dentist I had in Oakville waited until the course of treatment was over, and had received all the reimbursement due to her from the insurance company, and only then asked me to cough up the balance. Maybe I just had a nice dentist.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

great stories guys!

Seacreature?.... how are things for you now? is it an up or down time? we all have them. I was talking to an old guy from Ireland yesterday and he has been here over 40 years but still misses home. Funny how he calls it home when more of his life has been here.
I stil have my moments. Especially when you have to fight for everything!

I was listening to the news recently about the building force here. Makes me laugh really when bring such good qualifications and experience with us yet we struggle to find the desired work.
Many people even struggle to get here in the first place.

nice to here good inspirational stories though!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

If you do go south, consider the Alabama gulf coast. I grew up there and my mother is still there. Same white sand beaches and warm weather as Florida but MUCH cheaper and not so many NY and NJ transplants to worry about (i.e. the natives are really from there). Very good shopping there too, especially the gigantic outlet mall in Foley (near my mom) and lots of really great and fresh seafood. Lots of Canadian snowbirds come there in the winter and they are always very welcome.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:06 pm
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What's Your Story?

Originally Posted by babyblue
Just wondered what made you pack up and move to canada?

Was it love?

was it work?

was it frustration back home?

were you running?

do you ever sit and wonder how you actually made it to this wonderful place!

Quite a journey! I am sure many of us have amazing tales to tell.

Mine was for the love of canada and what i felt it would have to offer my children for their future. My mother lives here and i would visit her most years yet i never thought i would be here myself. Two years have flown by and i sometimes sit and wonder what would life be like for me now back in the UK.
I know i made the best move for my children even if i have to struggle to get there.
That would be my only complaint!
Fighting for every thing including basic rights. Next step is to get my qualifications credited. See what they will be worth here. I am a nanny with special needs right now and i don't want to have to start back at school anymore. I did years of that back home. Just hope i will get work with the quals i have.
What is your story?
i thought this might be a good way to get to know each other a little more.
Hi we went to Canda on holiday 2 years ago in the month of May............
We landed on Prince Edward Island and as we drove off the ferry the sun was reflecting on the clear clean water the air was fresh and spring was everywhere....amazing.
We drove for an hour on almost empty roads enjoying the views of this fantastic island and arrived in the capital Charlottetown.
This town seemed to hve been in time warp with its large Victorian white wooden houses the lnscaped gardens and the sea......... fantastic.
We stayed 2 weeks and toured the whole island and that was it for us we fell in love with the place.......... ''the biggest farm in the world''
Being Atlantic Canada we were aware the winter storms could be very severe so we returned last winter and stayed throughout Jan Feb. March and yes we had wild snow storms........ it was great the main roads were cleared of 9 feet of snow in a matter of hour and everyone helps out digging out cars etc.
We came home and made up our minds this was where we want to live......great place great people and we hope a great future.........
Applied for the Nominee program in March this year.......letter of acceptance from the Island April.........Forms etc to London.........AOR ......June........medicals this coming Tuesday.....Fingers crossed if thats ok and we get a buyer for our home we will be off by the end of the year.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sysclp
If you do go south, consider the Alabama gulf coast.
I will! Sounds lovely Mr B was thinking Georgia for no apparent reason other than it may have featured in trash novels he reads. And Savannah looked pretty when the boating was coming out of there in the Olympics. Neither he nor I have been south of Virginia. All a bit random really!

Who knows, if we survive these 2 winters with all fingers and toes in tact we might just stay put after all

Biiiiink
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

I will! Sounds lovely Mr B was thinking Georgia for no apparent reason other than it may have featured in trash novels he reads. And Savannah looked pretty when the boating was coming out of there in the Olympics. Neither he nor I have been south of Virginia. All a bit random really!

Who knows, if we survive these 2 winters with all fingers and toes in tact we might just stay put after all

Biiiiink
Considering that I come from down there where a cold winter day is 40 degrees F, I have not really had any problems with the winters here. -20 degrees C is pretty cold, but I can dress for that and it isn't that bad.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point

i moved for love
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by davio28
i moved for love
Me too.

Umm... not Davio's... Mrs. S.'s.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to an old guy from Ireland yesterday and he has been here over 40 years but still misses home. Funny how he calls it home when more of his life has been here.
Personally speaking, if we stay in Canada for the next forty years (and effectively the rest of my life) then I'm going to be greatly disappointed if I went through all that time still missing the UK and still calling it home. At the moment I do miss it terribly and I still consider it home. Still, we've only been here nine months so that's to be expected. And the reason for being here? Fell in love with a Canadian.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

great stories guys!

Seacreature?.... how are things for you now? is it an up or down time? we all have them. I was talking to an old guy from Ireland yesterday and he has been here over 40 years but still misses home. Funny how he calls it home when more of his life has been here.

I was listening to the news recently about the building force here. Makes me laugh really when bring such good qualifications and experience with us yet we struggle to find the desired work.
Many people even struggle to get here in the first place.

nice to here good inspirational stories though!
Thanks for asking!
I'm OK, but still very frustrated about jobs. How are you keeping?
I've been looking for bank teller work, but once again, I'm not having a great deal of luck.

Incidentally, as an experiment I did actually fabricate an entire resume, showing I'd worked for various UK banks over a period of 10 years. I even got a British friend to help with the details. Still nothing!

I sent a similar CV to a couple of banks in the UK and received an email from a HR guy at NatWest asking me to ring him asap!! Can you believe it?

At least it shows I stand a good chance of finding work once I return to England!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seacreature
Thanks for asking!
I'm OK, but still very frustrated about jobs. How are you keeping?
I've been looking for bank teller work, but once again, I'm not having a great deal of luck.

Incidentally, as an experiment I did actually fabricate an entire resume, showing I'd worked for various UK banks over a period of 10 years. I even got a British friend to help with the details. Still nothing!

I sent a similar CV to a couple of banks in the UK and received an email from a HR guy at NatWest asking me to ring him asap!! Can you believe it?

At least it shows I stand a good chance of finding work once I return to England!
One thing that may stop you from getting any job at a bank (even their call centre) is the lack of a Canadian credit report. Apparently there is some rule or law here that you can't work for a bank if you don't have an excellent credit report. I know for sure that is true for their call centres as a friend of ours was trying to get a job there and they liked her except she couldn't pass the credit check so didn't get the job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.