Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

whats Hamilton like, please

whats Hamilton like, please

Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

jonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura about
Default whats Hamilton like, please

hi all, we are due to move out, barring the final meds around Oct - we are open to are final embarkcation but have been looking at Hamilton areas out to London, On - and along the stretches towards Grimsby - does any one have knowledge or perhaps a good starting point - we will obviously be renting first, kindergartens, Malls all walking distance prefered..

comments pls jonnie
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:52 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: whats Hamilton like, please

Originally Posted by jonnieandmartina
hi all, we are due to move out, barring the final meds around Oct - we are open to are final embarkcation but have been looking at Hamilton areas out to London, On - and along the stretches towards Grimsby - does any one have knowledge or perhaps a good starting point - we will obviously be renting first, kindergartens, Malls all walking distance prefered..

comments pls jonnie
The Hammer itself is a hole!!! The armpit of Ontario! If you go further round the lake to Stoney Creek, Grimsby and Winona then thats nice. Or back the otherway to Burlington is also nice.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mikey B
The Hammer itself is a hole!!! The armpit of Ontario! If you go further round the lake to Stoney Creek, Grimsby and Winona then thats nice. Or back the otherway to Burlington is also nice.
Not so fast Mikey, I found Hamilton to be good, I didn't spend any time looking at the heavy industry but concentrated looking at the suburbs and was more than excited at what was on offer (just to qualify this is based on 2001/2002). But hey there's no better substitute than checking it out for yourself.
Best of luck
Thomas
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the worst of it

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546446

but I think it makes Hamilton look way worse than it is.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
This is the worst of it

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546446

but I think it makes Hamilton look way worse than it is.
Go visit for yourself, I didn't see any of this when I was looking, are you looking at these sort of areas or in the suburbs?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Go visit for yourself, I didn't see any of this when I was looking, are you looking at these sort of areas or in the suburbs?
I only visit Hamilton as a tourist.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:52 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Not so fast Mikey, I found Hamilton to be good, I didn't spend any time looking at the heavy industry but concentrated looking at the suburbs and was more than excited at what was on offer (just to qualify this is based on 2001/2002). But hey there's no better substitute than checking it out for yourself.
Best of luck
Thomas
I lived there for 10 months, downtown is a hole (apart from area near aberdeen where the docs live), mountain (new part on top of escarpment) has nice parts (especially east and well away from upper paradise) but its no burlington, grimsby, st cats, oakville and such.

After all why do you think all Canadians call it the arm pit of Ontario, its not just cus of its position on lake Ontario, its cus it is a pit aswell!

If you want to live In the Hammer area, stick to Stoney Creek, winona, grimsby its nice there plus easy access to the QEW.

Last edited by Mikey B; Jul 17th 2008 at 1:01 am.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:14 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

hi all, we....have been looking at Hamilton areas out to London, On - and along the stretches towards Grimsbye
Dude, these places are given names like Hamilton and Grimsby for a reason. Yes, they gave you a clue there.

They might as well be named "Mercilesslandofdeathandpovertyandmiserybeuponyouv ilespewofsatanstoenailsville"

Figure it out, it's easy. Here's a good starting point - look elsewhere.

R.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

comments pls jonnie
it's like Sheffield
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:37 pm
Hello Dave..

Davey Dan Oli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Esme
it's like Sheffield
Don't think so.

Been to both Sheffield and Hamilton, and Sheffield is 10x better that Hamilton.

Well went to uni in Sheffield and have visited Canadian friends in Hamilton.

The escarpment is nice and gives you good views of the steelworks and the lake, and it has McMasters University - but the rest of the place is a shithole.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Originally Posted by Davey Dan Oli
Don't think so.

Been to both Sheffield and Hamilton, and Sheffield is 10x better that Hamilton.

Well went to uni in Sheffield and have visited Canadian friends in Hamilton.

The escarpment is nice and gives you good views of the steelworks and the lake, and it has McMasters University - but the rest of the place is a shithole.
I'm from Sheffield and I lived very near Hamilton so I think I might be better placed to make that judgement call - I would agree Sheffield is way better but it's not dissimilar other than that Sheff has way more culture and is way, way bigger! I also think Hamilton's dirtier but when you grow up in a town like Sheffield you don't see the dirt for dirt
Old Jul 21st 2008, 2:18 pm
Hello Dave..

Davey Dan Oli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Esme
I'm from Sheffield and I lived very near Hamilton so I think I might be better placed to make that judgement call - I would agree Sheffield is way better but it's not dissimilar other than that Sheff has way more culture and is way, way bigger! I also think Hamilton's dirtier but when you grow up in a town like Sheffield you don't see the dirt for dirt
I am also from Sheffield, the steel works feel like Don Valley in the 70s/80s (not old enough to remember before that) but Sheffield is bigger than Hamilton therefore has a lot of variation - I have been to Hamilton twice to visit friends and feel that there is more of feeling of rundownness and deprivation.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Millstone is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: whats Hamilton like, please

I lived there for 10 months, downtown is a hole (apart from area near aberdeen where the docs live), mountain (new part on top of escarpment) has nice parts (especially east and well away from upper paradise) but its no burlington, grimsby, st cats, oakville and such.

After all why do you think all Canadians call it the arm pit of Ontario, its not just cus of its position on lake Ontario, its cus it is a pit aswell!

If you want to live In the Hammer area, stick to Stoney Creek, winona, grimsby its nice there plus easy access to the QEW.
The only person calling it the armpit of anything is YOU. You sound like a broken record, do you have anything of worth to contribute?

By the way, Stoney Creek and Winona by extension are Hamilton as well.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:33 pm
No time for muppets!

Originally Posted by Millstone
The only person calling it the armpit of anything is YOU. You sound like a broken record, do you have anything of worth to contribute?

By the way, Stoney Creek and Winona by extension are Hamilton as well.
Its my opinion, the opinion of every Canadian friend I have from here whether they from Burlington, Toronto, the mountain, Regina or BC and we are entitled to it and to also post it to give insight to peoples opinions (it also seems to be the majority of opinion on this thread).

If you have nothing intelligent to contribute to the post other than having a go at me and slag me off because I dont like the town you live and have to have a tantrum like a spoilt child then maybe you should keep your mouth shut. (Do we seriously need members like this on the forum).

If you can manage to read what I said it was if he wants to live in the hammer area then SC, Winona and Grimsby are the nice areas, mountain has a few nice spots but downtown is a hole. having lived in the Hammer I dont need a geography lesson but thanks for trying.

And if Im the only person calling it the armpit of Ontario then clearly you havent spoken to many Canadians.

Last edited by Mikey B; Jul 21st 2008 at 4:35 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Millstone is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: whats Hamilton like, please

Its my opinion, the opinion of every Canadian friend I have from here whether they from Burlington, Toronto, the mountain, Regina or BC and we are entitled to it and to also post it to give insight to peoples opinions (it also seems to be the majority of opinion on this thread).

If you have nothing intelligent to contribute to the post other than having a go at me and slag me off because I dont like the town you live and have to have a tantrum like a spoilt child then maybe you should keep your mouth shut. (Do we seriously need members like this on the forum).

If you can manage to read what I said it was if he wants to live in the hammer area then SC, Winona and Grimsby are the nice areas, mountain has a few nice spots but downtown is a hole. having lived in the Hammer I dont need a geography lesson but thanks for trying.

And if Im the only person calling it the armpit of Ontario then clearly you havent spoken to many Canadians.
I appreciate that you took the time to reply with like 6 paragraphs of crap, but you still topped it off with 'armpit of Ontario'. Again, broken record.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.