Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's the equivilent of [shop name] in Canada?

What's the equivilent of [shop name] in Canada?

Old Aug 15th 2009, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the equivilent of [shop name] in Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Holt Renfrew is quite a nice shop in the style of a department store. Perhaps it's analogous to John Lewis. The market is different though, people in Canada who have money don't shop here, even ordinary people who want something nice for a special occasion don't shop here, whereas affluent people who live in the UK do shop in the UK and rich people from abroad shop in the UK; there's more of a market for expensive things there.
Are you saying that people in Canada who either have money or want something nice go outside Canada to buy things? Where do they go?

To me the likes of Sears and The Bay are okay but don't offer the range or quality of a store like John Lewis or Fenwick. John Lewis and Fenwick, while nicer than the average in the UK, are still pretty mainstream for most things and they trade very successfully in a place like Newcastle which wouldn't be seen as particularly affluent.

Going up another level (and beyond my wallet generally) I would consider House of Fraser, Selfridges etc to be truly high end stores. Their customer base probably does include wealthy foreigners, particularly in London.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 7:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that people in Canada who either have money or want something nice go outside Canada to buy things? Where do they go?

Well I am not wealthy, but I go south of the border to Seattle for most of my clothes shopping, better selection, better prices, more stores to choose from, and outlet malls.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 7:34 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

To me Holt Renfrew is trying to be Harvey Nichs - but not quite. . .
Old Aug 15th 2009, 11:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf

My daughters' contemporaries got their prom dresses in New York or Paris (Paris being more common among that crowd than typical because it was a French language school, lots of students were the children of French nationals on long term contracts here). My colleagues at work go to the "collections" in the Detroit suburbs.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:38 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Well one of the reasons we (and our small town Sask friends) are going to San Francisico is to shop for clothes, in fact the friends are looking for kids clothes too (bear in mind they have 15month old twin girls and a 3 year old boy who couldnt give a toss what they look like).
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:12 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Well I am not wealthy, but I go south of the border to Seattle for most of my clothes shopping, better selection, better prices, more stores to choose from, and outlet malls.
I agree although i don't think too much of the outlet mall. My OH likes Nordstrom's. Just as well coz there's not too much else to go to Seattle for.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:18 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

My colleagues at work go to the "collections" in the Detroit suburbs.
They drive from T.O to Detroit to go shopping? The shopping is better, obviously, but not sure I'd drive 4 hrs to do so....

The Somerset Collection is probably where they head - if you've got money to burn, that's the place to go....
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
They drive from T.O to Detroit to go shopping? The shopping is better, obviously, but not sure I'd drive 4 hrs to do so....
They do. The daughter who is heavily into clothing sneers at them. "Maybe, just maybe, on Fifth, but really, who buys shoes in America?".

What do I know, I've Docs to last me out.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:35 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

They do. The daughter who is heavily into clothing sneers at them. "Maybe, just maybe, on Fifth, but really, who buys shoes in America?".

You can tell her that I do, because apparently, Canadians don't have feet larger than a 12....
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by G77
You can tell her that I do, because apparently, Canadians don't have feet larger than a 12....
The very moment that she returns from Paris I shall point that out.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:39 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

The very moment that she returns from Paris I shall point that out.
Actually, I can get size 14's in Payless Shoe Source, but the last pair I got in there were nasty quality and made my feet stink.... Nike outlet at Great Lakes Crossing in Detroit has 14's no problem and for cheaper than the crappy knock off's at Payless...
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by G77
Actually, I can get size 14's in Payless Shoe Source, but the last pair I got in there were nasty quality and made my feet stink.... Nike outlet at Great Lakes Crossing in Detroit has 14's no problem and for cheaper than the crappy knock off's at Payless...
Well thank you for sharing the relative aromatic issues of those shoe brands. Tell me, as someone who has enormous feet, would you say that this has been an asset in meeting women, do they assume an organ in proportion?
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:51 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

Well thank you for sharing the relative aromatic issues of those shoe brands. Tell me, as someone who has enormous feet, would you say that this has been an asset in meeting women, do they assume an organ in proportion?
That does seem to be a common belief - disappointed to report I'm not packing a pipe like a grot flick star.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 2:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I buy shoes across the border as well, I dont like the selection locally, hard to find my size and I can buy them cheaper.

Got my sketchers at the outlet mall in San Diego last summer, 32 dollars, wont find those prices in Canada.

(same shoe on Sears Canada website is listed as 79.99)
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
To me Holt Renfrew is trying to be Harvey Nichs - but not quite. . .
It's owned by the same people who own Selfridges, if I recall correctly. I must admit I was delighted when I wandered in there and realised I absolutely loved all the clothes in one department...only to realise they were Marc Jacobs. Back to Salvation Army thrift for me (seriously, I do love Canadian thrift stores/charity shops, even if the results are more hit and miss than my old faithful the Oxfam on Drury Lane).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.