Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's the Canadian countryside like?

What's the Canadian countryside like?

Old May 8th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice
Default Re: What's the Canadian countryside like?

Originally Posted by BradleyBunch
Thanks

We're probably looking at Ontario for our new home. Apart from the couple of links above, does anyone have any more links to info on the parks in Ontario?

The Provincial parks seem to be closed during winter. Are there any parks open during the winter months... or is it just too b***dy cold to go out then?
to repeat most other opinions- it depends where you choose to live- small town Ontario has plenty /parks/ fields /countryside -but if you live near Toronto be prepared for big traffic and to drive a bit to get any kind of pleasant rambling countryside.
Remember Canada is all about HUGE distances - quick jaunts to the country from the city are not the same as back home .
Old May 8th 2009, 8:23 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I read a thread on the MBTTUK forum comparing the thousands of miles of countryside footpaths, bridleways, etc. that we have free access to in the UK to having to "pay to go for a stroll in Canada". I asked the OP to explain further, but haven't got much in the way of a reply yet, so I thought I'd post something here.

Can anyone enlighten me to what they were referring to? Is Canada similar to the USA, where you seem to have to drive to a National Park for a countryside experience? Or is it more like rural UK, where you can get on your bicycle or put your walking boots on at home and go into the countryside from your own doorstep?

I know, it will ultimately depend on where you live. But generally speaking, what's the countryside access like in Canada?
Pay for a stroll - are you kidding!?!
From my front door I could hike on a free trial system that runs across the whole country, or down to mexico!

It all depends on location, the only cost on more poular locationsis parking, but thats no different from the uk.
Old May 8th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
The vast majority of Canada does not have "countryside" in the British way.

Vast Forrest's, massive fields, Mountains & Lakes sums up 95% of the Country. Parks are the way that these are normally accessed, they are very nice parks, but its just not as simple to go for "an afternoons stroll in the countryside" here as it is in the UK.
That's not really true. I find easy to walk in the countryside here. I use mainly Google satellite images. Simple because you have the stupid lead police every where. I'm sick of fighting them off. Although I do ignore them most of the time. Most are frighten of me. Because they not used to aggressive people ready to fight them at all, or I'll start speaking Spanish. Depends what mood I'm in. Also most provincial parks are easy to get into without paying as well if look at the satellite images on where to park. So by using Google I find a lots old trails and bridal paths, woods, in which I can let me dog off leash. I didn't get a bloody dog to drink coffee and hoping the dog will exercise it self on some shitty small piece of land.

Last edited by Essex_Man; May 8th 2009 at 9:12 pm.
Old May 8th 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

Really depends where you end up living. Where I stay in Canada, I just step off the back deck & I'm way out in the bush- dont step too far though cos I can hear the bears frequently ...
Old May 8th 2009, 9:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There are no right-of-ways across farmers' fields as there is in the UK. In urban or suburban areas you generally have to stick to the trail systems. Otherwise 95% of BC is Crown Land, so that is 346,525 square miles where you can wander at will.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There are no right-of-ways across farmers' fields as there is in the UK. In urban or suburban areas you generally have to stick to the trail systems. Otherwise 95% of BC is Crown Land, so that is 346,525 square miles where you can wander at will.
Sure you can. Just pretend to be some silly English tourists who is lost if you get caught.
Old May 9th 2009, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

BradleyBunch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
Sure you can. Just pretend to be some silly English tourists who is lost if you get caught.
I like it I reckon I could get away with that!
Old May 10th 2009, 10:49 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
BC's outdoors is very accessible from Vancouver. The north shore has endless trails and walking routes. I've never paid anything, other than the cost of parking.
Same here on the Island ......... I only ever pay to park & that's usually no more than $2

Just come back from a walk in the countryside actually ........ it was free to park as well
Attached Thumbnails What's the Canadian countryside like?-p1010383.jpg   What's the Canadian countryside like?-p1010385.jpg   What's the Canadian countryside like?-p1010495.jpg   What's the Canadian countryside like?-p1010498.jpg  
Old May 11th 2009, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

It's bloody great here in the Okanagan. Don't beleive all you read on here about "nowhere to walk" or "nothing like the UK countryside"
These pics were taken today. The first is a view of Coldstream in the distance behind lake Kalamalka the second two are taken from Kalamalka provincial park which is accessible "free of charge" and has a huge amount of hiking and biking trails. This is just one very small example of what is around and as you can see it's all quite green and almost "English" looking.

Last edited by printer; May 11th 2009 at 5:28 am. Reason: pictures weren't there
Old May 11th 2009, 7:45 am
Just Joined

iamdave is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me to what they were referring to? Is Canada similar to the USA, where you seem to have to drive to a National Park for a countryside experience? Or is it more like rural UK, where you can get on your bicycle or put your walking boots on at home and go into the countryside from your own doorstep?

I know, it will ultimately depend on where you live. But generally speaking, what's the countryside access like in Canada?
It's wide open Bradley, And very beautiful I will say (if you live on Vancouver island) - bicycle paths thrive in abundance and trails are the norm (logging roads might be a better word perhaps)

If you want to fork out a few dollars (and buy a small sailboat) you can cruise the gulf islands even, or sail the inside passage (up to Alaska) the sea will be calmer than on the west coast of UK.. you will find (much calmer as a matter of fact)

If you are just looking for a quiet trail, in order to ride your old British Raleigh though, you will not be disappointed I promise
Old May 11th 2009, 7:50 am
Just Joined

BradleyBunch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info and pictures :-)

Most of the replies seem to be about the west side and maritimes. Anyone got anything similar to share about Ontario?
Old May 11th 2009, 1:15 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty more in my gallery here;
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...=16059&cat=500

Check out the Canada gallery for what everyone else has posted...
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...ry.php?cat=519
Old May 11th 2009, 1:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info and pictures :-)

Most of the replies seem to be about the west side and maritimes. Anyone got anything similar to share about Ontario?
If you plough through our blog you'll see a fair number of Ontario countryside pictures. For example:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rHmRYyinWn...12+x+2475).jpg

http://upperappalachia.blogspot.com/...-november.html
Old May 12th 2009, 1:09 am
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Canadian countryside vs. British countryside? No comparison . . .

Old May 12th 2009, 1:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you miss chavscum.co.uk? Such lovely pictures of our young people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.