Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

what's bad about Canada?

what's bad about Canada?

Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what's bad about Canada?

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Liana , we are being overwhelmed, that is why we restrict immigration to 250k a year,and why it takes almost 4 years for some to get approved.

We took the tube from Heathrow, with luggage, to Paddington, there is NO WAY anyone who is 100% mobile could do it, stairs upon stairs, no wheelchair ramps.

London, most streets do not have wheelchair ramps, they are impassable for the handicapped.

I hope that a few disgruntled people go back and spread tales about Canada, good, stay where you are, immigrants, we got tons trying to sneak in or come legally, Sorry, FULL.
The tube is over 100 yrs old, its being altered where possible to accomodate wheelchairs, hearing loss, sightloss needs. It is happening as this is the law. You can take the overground from Heathrow to Paddington and be a wheelchair user.

I would say that all streets have wheelchair ramps, certainly at any crossings, traffic lights, junctions. The pavements also have a knobbled surface so that blind people can feel that they are near a road.

but I say again, it isnt a competition to see who is best.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:48 pm
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future

I still can't get used to you guys using the word 'handicapped'. In the Uk this is now sooo very frowned upon.

Working for a local government authority, who have just spent £19,000 on equality and diversity training it's going to take some getting used to.

Just incase you didn't know, it derives from disabled children and adults, who couldn't work in t'mills and had to go 'cap in hand' and beg on the streets in ye olde Victorian tymes.

Note to self: Must remember to be less pc, must remember to be less pc, must remember....
Old Jul 28th 2007, 9:59 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Hmm batty, do more people emigrate from Canada to the UK OR do more people emigrate from the UK to Canada????

Hmm, difficult to say, although judging by the explosion of Eastern Europeans in the U.K. , my guess is a lot of people left, but I could be wrong??
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:00 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
You scotchy's call us English sassanachs, wat's all tha' abaht?
It is derived from an old word to mean 'Saxon'.

Now, in line with my older comment I write this reply with pity infused throughout every word.

Oh, and I would never call you a Sassenach.......I prefer the term 'Auld Git.'
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Oh, and I would never call you a Sassenach.......I prefer the term 'Auld Git.'
Shouldn't that be 'popular' auld git?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:04 pm

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by landhouse
I still can't get used to you guys using the word 'handicapped'. In the Uk this is now sooo very frowned upon.

Working for a local government authority, who have just spent £19,000 on equality and diversity training it's going to take some getting used to.

Just incase you didn't know, it derives from disabled children and adults, who couldn't work in t'mills and had to go 'cap in hand' and beg on the streets in ye olde Victorian tymes.

Note to self: Must remember to be less pc, must remember to be less pc, must remember....
That's a major benefit of being in Canada. I no longer have to bow to the educationally challenged PC fascists who ruin the working lives of teachers everywhere. I can write 'failed' on a paper rather than 'non-achieved' or 'a 30% pass.'

PC tw*ts all of them.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by steve666
Shouldn't that be 'popular' auld git?
Steve <whispers> "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they're laughing at you, not with you."
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Steve <whispers> "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they're laughing at you, not with you."
I don't care, nobody's ever laughed with me or at me before, it's the laughter, the laughter, hear so little these days. Oh the rain pit pattering on the newspaper covering my head is making me go crazy.

Taggarts on the tv, murrrder again.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Hmm batty, do more people emigrate from Canada to the UK OR do more people emigrate from the UK to Canada????

Hmm, difficult to say, although judging by the explosion of Eastern Europeans in the U.K. , my guess is a lot of people left, but I could be wrong??
Which part of "its not a competition" do you not understand. This isnt a forum for you to bash britain.

what has the number of eastern europeans in the uk got to do with the numbers who leave?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by landhouse

Its frowned upon here too. People, persons with disabilities is the term
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a major benefit of being in Canada. I no longer have to bow to the educationally challenged PC fascists who ruin the working lives of teachers everywhere. I can write 'failed' on a paper rather than 'non-achieved' or 'a 30% pass.'

PC tw*ts all of them.
I trust this is a joke. Toronto, at least, is politically correct to a degree I find repressive. For twenty years, I've had a job "shadowing" that is, doing the work of, someone hired purely to be PC. The police here do not use physical descriptions of suspects that would indicate ethnicity. It's hard to think how the place could be more PC.

Back with the airport, it's silly to compare the provisions for handicapped people on the tube in from Heathrow with the provisions in Toronto because Toronto doesn't have public transit to the airport.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

fuzzbuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow thanks Howard 1994,I was reading through all those replies and got quite upset if anyone thinks Canada is bad they should take a look at the rest of the world,In 9 years of living in Winnipeg 99.9% of the crime is within certain factions if I don't deal in drugs and stay away from a small area of down town at night I am almost certain I will be safe (can't say that about U.K),most people here don't lock their cars or homes garden furniture and stuff can saftly be left in the Garden (front or back)without it vanishing,supermarkets have all their sacks of soil and compost outside the store all summer no guards no fences no cameras and it stays there,I'm sorry but at home it would last an hour at the most then a truck would appear and the produce would mysteriously disappear,we moved to get away from traffic,crowds,crime and high prices and thank goodness have not regretted it.All I can say is Thank you Canada for taking us in and giving us back a sense of freedom wide open spaces and a clear blue sky.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: what's bad about Canada?

Originally Posted by fuzzbuzz
Wow thanks Howard 1994,I was reading through all those replies and got quite upset if anyone thinks Canada is bad they should take a look at the rest of the world,In 9 years of living in Winnipeg 99.9% of the crime is within certain factions if I don't deal in drugs and stay away from a small area of down town at night I am almost certain I will be safe (can't say that about U.K),most people here don't lock their cars or homes garden furniture and stuff can saftly be left in the Garden (front or back)without it vanishing,supermarkets have all their sacks of soil and compost outside the store all summer no guards no fences no cameras and it stays there,I'm sorry but at home it would last an hour at the most then a truck would appear and the produce would mysteriously disappear,we moved to get away from traffic,crowds,crime and high prices and thank goodness have not regretted it.All I can say is Thank you Canada for taking us in and giving us back a sense of freedom wide open spaces and a clear blue sky.
The relentless whining on here really does start to vindicate the oft-made slur against the English made by Australians. So all UK garden centres would be stripped to the shelves if it weren't for cameras? Get real. I don't know what nasty dump your garden centre was in, but crime isn't anything like that in most parts of the UK.

Check out the CBC news once in a while to get the low-down on utopia. Canada isn't the country it used to be - where is? Stabbings, shootings, gangs, vicious assaults and robberies, vandalism, bomb threats, racism, it's all in Canada or Australia every bit as it's in the UK.

Maybe you got to move to a better part of town in Canada, but you can thank the strength of Sterling for that, not the CIC.

And what the hell was that about PC in an earlier post? I cannot think of a country where PC is more heavily applied than Canada. This is the country
where a judge banned a Christmas tree from his courthouse lest it 'offend' other faiths. Gimme a break.

And today's CBC carries a story about how a group that hands out crack pipes to the drug-dealers' customer base is going to have its funding slashed.

Seriously, I love Canada, but it being a bastion against PC nonsense is not one of its many credits.

Last edited by Tableland; Jul 29th 2007 at 1:53 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

fuzzbuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I truly do not mean to bash my home country but I still go back to the U.K on a regular basis and I am sorry but I see far more crime there or the threat of more crime,no the garden centres are not heavily guarded but they also do NOT leave all the produce out side 24 hours a day,cars that break down on motorways are stripped down to the bone before they get towed away my father was burgled 3 times my grandma twice, lights in the garden disappeared on a regular basis,I know for sure that any Large city has the same problems but thankfully Canadian cites have a long way to go before the population is anything like that of the U.K.
I am sure a lot will disagree but I can only speak as I find and so far life here has given me the feeling of safety and security something I lacked in the U.K but then I don't live in one of the larger Canadian cities either so maybe that gives me the rose coloured glass effect.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuzzbuzz
I truly do not mean to bash my home country but I still go back to the U.K on a regular basis and I am sorry but I see far more crime there or the threat of more crime,no the garden centres are not heavily guarded but they also do NOT leave all the produce out side 24 hours a day,cars that break down on motorways are stripped down to the bone before they get towed away my father was burgled 3 times my grandma twice, lights in the garden disappeared on a regular basis,I know for sure that any Large city has the same problems but thankfully Canadian cites have a long way to go before the population is anything like that of the U.K.
I am sure a lot will disagree but I can only speak as I find and so far life here has given me the feeling of safety and security something I lacked in the U.K but then I don't live in one of the larger Canadian cities either so maybe that gives me the rose coloured glass effect.
I do disagree, but only partially. Certain Canadian cities have pretty awful crime statistics, many of which would measure up to certain British cities. Just take a look at the police-reported crime statistics. There was a major jump in violent crime in Canada in the late 1980s, although the last few years have been slightly lower than the early 1990s. In many regards Canada has higher crime figures than the UK.

Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are the worst offenders, but if you are interested, Winnipeg has the highest rate of violent crime, and second highest rate of property crime per population than anywhere else in the country. Who would have thought that?

It might seem safer in a certain place, but it only seems that way. I felt perfectly safe in certain quarters of LA and New Orleans, but I'm sure I wasn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.