Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What was your dream?

What was your dream?

Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What was your dream?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Is it compulsory to have a dream then?

Stuff and nonsense.
That type of talk is nothing but seditious conchie heresy. Practical concerns aside, of course its compulsory to have a dream to follow otherwise what's the point of emigrating?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

the bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Oink
A lot of people come to Canada for selfless reasons, mainly to give their children a better life with greater opportunities and prospects.
That's a good example of a dream - to give your children better opportunities and prospects, I wonder how many achieve that?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

the bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura aboutthe bucket woman has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by stacey.cook1
We came out on a 1 yr BUNAC visa in Nov 09, the idea initially was just to get out of England for a while, I was working for a high street bank and after they were bailed out (massively) by the government my job prospects weren't the safest and we were just generally bored and wanted some adventure and we've both always loved Canada.
So a year down the line I'm working for a great company, and my fiancee just got himself a new job which is paying him nearly DOUBLE! what he was earning in UK. We've started saving for a house deposit (which is somethig we could never afford to do in UK) and hope to buy a place in the next year or so. We are now both keen snowboarders in the winter, mountain bikers and surfers in the summer and Mike's even found an 'ok' soccer team to play for. So yeah i'd say even though we didn't have a definate 'dream' things have worked out so well for us so far and we are loving every minute!!
Glad to hear it is all working well for you. May you have many more happy adventures
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the bucket woman
Not so .... I presume people didn't move here on a whim? It's an enormous thing to do without a personal reason for doing so. Did you not have a dream ... even a tiny one?
I suppose a dream has an advantage over a whim in that it has an extra letter.

Whims are more likely to be productive though.

I suppose the measly 3-lettered word "job" wouldn't have a look in?
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

I suppose a dream has an advantage over a whim in that it has an extra letter.

Whims are more likely to be productive though.

I suppose the measly 3-lettered word "job" wouldn't have a look in?
A better job is certainly a good dream to have. Anyway, I'll let you get back to counting your letters ...
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Martin Luther King had a dream and look where that got him.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope I have never had anything as vomit inducing as a dream nor suffered any rollercoaster rides of emotion.

However we came to Canada with the idea that Flederman would be able to get a job that would pay enough so that I could work part time and the rest of the time indulge my penchant for painting. We would have a house with a studio and I would become crazy cat lady artist.

After four and a half years we have two cats but no studio. I'm painting in the corner of the kitchen. I'm crazy but the meds help.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Martin Luther King had a dream and look where that got him.
In between Lincoln and Jefferson on National Mall
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I love these!!

dream:
live mortgage free
spend more time together
ski in the winter
boating in the summer
entertain with friends on a Saturday night
live debt free

reality:
huge mortgage (3 x what we owed in the UK)
never see my hubby as he's away constantly with work
no time to ski
no time to boat
Most Saturday nights are spent picking up or dropping off at airport or watching him asleep on the sofa
the debt gets bigger as we overcompensate ourselves with luxury items.

No regrets, just the way we dream big! No one to blame but ourselves and looking forward to catching up with the OH on a beach in Florida in our retirement where we'll have plenty to talk about because we hardly see each other!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A better job is certainly a good dream to have. Anyway, I'll let you get back to counting your letters ...
Ignoring, as one does, the Oinking noises off-stage, a better job is not a dream if you've got a contract in hand which has been approved by CIC.

It's a reality.

Anyone who emigrates armed with nothing more than a "dream" is insane.

Dream on.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ignoring, as one does, the Oinking noises off-stage, a better job is not a dream if you've got a contract in hand which has been approved by CIC.

It's a reality.

Anyone who emigrates armed with nothing more than a "dream" is insane.

Dream on.
Please note Mr Oink is a man of impeccible taste and standards. Do not dis the Oink.

You need a large wad of cash, a dash of luck and a whole lot of determination along with your dreams.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:17 pm
Born again atheist

Please note Mr Oink is a man of impeccible taste and standards. Do not dis the Oink.

You need a large wad of cash, a dash of luck and a whole lot of determination along with your dreams.
That's Professor Oink to you.

You also need a job (wad size dependent I suppose).
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

That's Professor Oink to you.

You also need a job (wad size dependent I suppose).
Or someone to bring home the bacon ....
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:41 pm
Born again atheist

Or someone to bring home the bacon ....
Oh dear. I thought from your hat that you were emancipated.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 11:47 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

What was your dream when you moved to Canada? Have you achieved it?
I wanted to drive a large gas guzzling North American truck and look down upon the oiks, thrashing up and down the highway while laughing hysterically.

Job done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.