Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"What are you doing?!"

"What are you doing?!"

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice
Default "What are you doing?!"

Hi all,

I move to Canada this weekend! Under the IEC working holiday visa rather than anything more permanent, but still...

While I'm well and truly excited, over the past week the reality of what I'm doing (jacking in a good job in a difficult climate, moving everything back to my parents' house, selling my car) is hitting home. And I'm getting pretty damn nervous about it all!

Now I'm not suggesting that I'll be backing out of this or anything (I've been waiting to do this for far too long!), but has anyone else had that nagging little voice in their head before they leave, saying "what are you doing?!". Please tell me I'm not the only one!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:40 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "What are you doing?!"

Originally Posted by Mr. Numbers

Now I'm not suggesting that I'll be backing out of this or anything (I've been waiting to do this for far too long!), but has anyone else had that nagging little voice in their head before they leave, saying "what are you doing?!". Please tell me I'm not the only one!

I've moved countries (continents) a few times. Yes, sometimes you do get a feeling of "what am I doing?!" probably because you are leaving known territory and people behind. Stepping out of your comfort zone I suppose.

When I've moved I've always reassured myself by thinking that I am doing this for all the right, pre planned, reasons and must go through with it or I'll be asking myself the 'what if?' question for the rest of your natural life! Can't let that happen!

Good luck
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

Originally Posted by james.mc
I've moved countries (continents) a few times. Yes, sometimes you do get a feeling of "what am I doing?!" probably because you are leaving known territory and people behind. Stepping out of your comfort zone I suppose.

When I've moved I've always reassured myself by thinking that I am doing this for all the right, pre planned, reasons and must go through with it or I'll be asking myself the 'what if?' question for the rest of your natural life! Can't let that happen!

Good luck
Cheers!

It's definitely a comfort zone thing for me - I've become used to my comfortable little routine over the past few years, so it's hard to let go. But I know why I decided to do this, and I know I'd be angry at myself if I didn't go through with it just because I didn't hold my nerve at the last minute.

I think as soon as I get there I'll be fine - my "survival mode" will kick in and I'll make the best of it all. And hopefully this will be the best year or two of my life. The best things in life never come easy!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

jenny28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was the same, my husband and I both left good jobs. I really liked my job in England and will probably never have another I like as much. Moved over to Canada in March 2010. We have been here just over a year now and still sometimes I think, have we made the right decision. We bought and moved into our house end of April. Our two children 8 and 5 are settled in school and have made new friends. My husband has a part time job and started college in september taking on a new career. I am a registered nurse in England and now work part time as a personal support worker, this is fine because I can be at home with youngest as he is only in school every other day. Not only has there been an adjustment to a new country, after working full time for many years and at management level too, there has been an adjustment to working part time where seniorority and union rules. Don't get me wrong I am not saying I am not happy, I think we are still finding our feet. I start college in september undertaking a Drug and alcolhol counselling course I want to do something new that will also get my brain working again.
We have had a good year, we have been camping with raccoons, cannoeing, swimming and even had our bikes out. I had a bike for 10 years in England and hardly ever used it. We had MIL to stay for the summer last year which was good and bad, I have my own private reasons. My mum and Dad came to visit towards the end of the summer, so both families know where we are and the area around us. On the whole I am happy we have come, I have had time to spend with the family, and as a family. If I was still in England I wouldn't have had this precious time.
What has hit home is that My Nan passed away and the funeral was last week (she had dementia and barely recognised me) and although I spent time with her before we came it was still sad that I couldn't be there.
You never know what's round the corner, life can be too short (although not in her case she was 90+). If it doesn't work out for us in the future here at least we have had a good time in this time we have been here.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely! In fact we put our move off for two years as we, or rather I got cold feet. We decided to go for it in the end, as we never wanted the "what if" feeling forever after!
And it was the best thing we ever did!!! Been here 5.5 years and loved every second!
Good luck, the waiting is the worst part as theres not a lot left to do!
Once you get here, you can get on with things, and enjoy your adventure!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't really have much thought on my first move to Canada, but I am certainly this 2nd time around, mainly due to the difficulty in finding a job in Vancouver and have been having a lot of what if I had just stayed in the US and not moved back to Canada, I'd be working now, have money etc type thoughts.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:51 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. Numbers - I think anyone would be three quarters stupid who didn't feel a bit, or quite a lot of fear/apprehension and 'Oh heaven am I doing the right thingness'. I think that giving your notice in or deciding to leave a country, is exactly the time that the Gods decide to have a joke with us! Suddenly everyone at work is super nice and what has sometimes been a horrid living environment decides to pull it's socks up, the sun shines, the bloody mole stops digging up the lawn, and you wonder why you ever wanted to leave in the first place! You also 'know' your home, and can anticipate all the surprises and would know how to deal with them. A new country has the possibility of lots of surprises when you don't know the score. I think the doubts are 100% natural... but, I admit my family are going through them presently (waiting for CIC paperwork doesn't help!) and even understanding it's a natural process doesn't make the jitters any easier to bear. Good Luck and Bon voyage!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:03 am

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

It happens to everyone. I've spent 2 years abroad in total through se asia and europe and each time I left a country I wondered if I was doing the right thing. I like to think my worst mistake was coming back to england both times to try and patch things with the ex. Bladdy wimmen.

Every country I moved to whilst in Europe and se asia I fretted and worried whether I shouldve stayed. And everytime I came to a new city opportunities presented themselves. I'm now of the belief that those opportunities are there permanently.

Just make sure you bring enough cash to tide you by should the tide go against you.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 3:29 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Hello there!

I'm pretty certain that your feelings are familiar to pretty much everyone on this site who's going through this process. We've been going through the waiting process for nearly four years now but are finally going in July. It hit me at the weekend when my hubby showed me our list of things to do and told me I'd better start thinking about a date for our flight. We've all had moments of doubt along the way but like the others have said, could you live with 'what if' nagging at you forever? For us, the answer is no. We take on board what everyone says to us (both the positive and negative and trust me there are plenty of negatives posted on here every day!) but we feel that every family is different and will have a different experience. You can't take on board other people's bad experiences otherwise you wouldn't step outside your own front door! Nothing is written in stone...change is exciting and good; it can go wrong but it could be great! I bid you good luck in your adventure and to all those on here embarking on theirs! Life's too short not to try a new adventure - just don't let the negative posters get to you, they tried it once but it just didn't work out for them.

Last edited by Dotty P; Mar 23rd 2011 at 4:12 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Hello there!

I'm pretty certain that your feelings are familiar to pretty much everyone on this site who's going through this process. We've been going through the waiting process for nearly four years now but are finally going in July. It hit me at the weekend when my hubby showed me our list of things to do and told me I'd better start thinking about a date for our flight. We've all had moments of doubt along the way but like the others have said, could you live with 'what if' nagging at your forever? For us, the answer is no. We take on board what everyone says to us (both the positive and negative and trust me there are plenty of negatives posted on here every day!) but we feel that every family is different and will have a different experience. You can't take on board other people's bad experiences otherwise you wouldn't step outside your own front door! Nothing is written in stone...change is exciting and good; it can go wrong but it could be great! I bid you good luck in your adventure and to all those on here embarking on theirs! Life's too short not to try a new adventure - just don't let the negative posters get to you, they tried it once but it just didn't work out for them.
Thanks Dotty (and others above!).

It's true that everyone has their own experience - for some people it hasn't worked out, and for some it has, but that has no bearing on what my own experience will be like. I'm confident that it will go well (although I'm keeping my feet on the ground!), but if it doesn't then I guess I can always make my way home and start again.

I suppose most of my anxiety is down to the fact that I actually live a good life in Wales - decent job, home, friends etc. - but at the same time I've always wanted to travel and see the world. I'm risking a fair bit to do it as a result, but hey, the greater the risk the greater the reward!

Four days to go...
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:17 pm
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Same here, when we applied life wasn't as good for us as it is now but we just can't think of not giving it a go! The sun is shining on our pretty Hampshire village and it'll be hard to leave but our sense of adventure has great pulling power! Nobody said it would be easy but you have to give it a try! Four days? Lucky you! Have a safe flight over and a great new life! All the best!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:21 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mr. Numbers
Hi all,

I move to Canada this weekend! Under the IEC working holiday visa rather than anything more permanent, but still...

While I'm well and truly excited, over the past week the reality of what I'm doing (jacking in a good job in a difficult climate, moving everything back to my parents' house, selling my car) is hitting home. And I'm getting pretty damn nervous about it all!

dont sweat it pal! u makin' a good move-how many times u had the adventure? guessin' u is a young fella (under 30) as oppose to an old fella (over 30), so wat u got to lose, eh? c it as opportunity to shag a lot of american peoples and have a laff.

i move 2 canada, then the states, and now im the old fella +30 but i dont regret nowt. had a blast - workin boozin n'other. im livin a good life 4 me.

me motto as of recent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s3SNHIH0bs

Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

big ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nicebig ron is just really nice

Hi All
Im 65 and my wife is 64 can,t wait to land in May it's a big move but we want to be near our son and daughter in law plus our two grandkids age 3 and 4. This is our last big adventure in life ,at the moment we are fit and healthy looking forward to buying a new house /car/ and fitting our home out.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:14 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big ron
Hi All
Im 65 and my wife is 64 can,t wait to land in May it's a big move but we want to be near our son and daughter in law plus our two grandkids age 3 and 4. This is our last big adventure in life ,at the moment we are fit and healthy looking forward to buying a new house /car/ and fitting our home out.
Do you have those two lines on copy and paste ?