Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What would you like to buy online in Canada??

What would you like to buy online in Canada??

Old May 23rd 2014, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you like to buy online in Canada??

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I already buy a lot of things online (including groceries) - most things are readily available online in Canada or orderable via the US, so I am a bit puzzled by your question.

If you order from the US are you charged with import duty or whatever it's called?
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
This just makes me sad.

If you make a good product and sell it at a competitive price, people will buy it.

Instead they want to make just an OK product and not allow any other competition so that there is no choice.

*sigh*
But isn't this just a typical Canadian way of stopping competition and keeping prices artificially high? I tried to buy some Stilton cheese last week end but it was sooooo expensive I decided not to!
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:49 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you order from the US are you charged with import duty or whatever it's called?
As long as you avoid UPS and FedEx and stick with the USPS then its up to the fine folk at Canada Post to collect,so as you can imagine its very hit and miss. Mostly miss

Im really impressed with the local 4 year old Empire cheddar. As good as anthing I had in the motherland, and usually on sale at the factory shop just down the road, so no mail order cheese for me.

My experience is that mail order from Canadian sources is nearly always more expensive than buying from US suppliers. Which is sad as I would happliy support the "local" guy if it wasnt going to cost me more.

Last edited by iaink; May 23rd 2014 at 2:52 pm.
Old May 23rd 2014, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua
But isn't this just a typical Canadian way of stopping competition and keeping prices artificially high? I tried to buy some Stilton cheese last week end but it was sooooo expensive I decided not to!
This annoys me too, its like a dictatorship when it comes to shopping. Canadians are held to ransome by greedy companies and no one seems to stand up and say no!
Old May 23rd 2014, 9:50 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Camera gear at a reasonable price- little opportunity north of the border - B&H in New York, one of the cheapest in the world but hit with import duties etc when shipped. Having said that we still pay substantially less for gear even here in Canada than currently in the UK
Old May 24th 2014, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Camera gear at a reasonable price- little opportunity north of the border - B&H in New York, one of the cheapest in the world but hit with import duties etc when shipped. Having said that we still pay substantially less for gear even here in Canada than currently in the UK
That's where I got mine from recently. They have a great option of taxes/duties/import charges calculated and paid at checkout! Would be nice if we had reasonable Canadian options though.