Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What would you change (if you could) about canada?

What would you change (if you could) about canada?

Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default What would you change (if you could) about canada?

We have all been listening to the hype about the elections but if you could change something yourself what would it be and why?

I love it when i start a thread like this becuase i know we can get some real heated discusions.

what about the youth?

what about the guns?

what about the child care?

what about taxes?

I know i would love to see tax included on purchases! I guess thats becuase i still am not totaly adjusted to it.

I personaly find all of this politcal talk complete bull and we all know that if any one of them get in that nobody ever truly follows through on the promises. Maybe they should be swarn in as in court and if they break the rules of promises then they get a 'Go directly to Jail' card.
That would be kindda cool actually. The Jails might be packed but at least we would not hear al this BS.

what is your opinion?

What would you do?
Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you change (if you could) about canada?

Employment rights enforcement

Holiday allowance!!!!

The last month or two of winter
Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Increase Minimum wage, cap benefits

Force all Companies (including WAL-Mart) to allow staff (if they wish) to be Unionised

No snow after christmas...
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would merge Canada with the US so as to eliminate all border controls. And I'd make it hotter.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:16 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Nooo! You're kidding, right?
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
Nooo! You're kidding, right?
Me ? No, I'm not kidding, I hate the cold.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:26 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Make the driving test much much harder...
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:45 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

The America bit! Nightmare scenario.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I don't see that, it would be save a lot of bother when going to the factory outlet mall, aged Canadians wouldn't have to keep running back from Florida to maintain their OHIP eligibility and, with any luck, some Latinos would move to Toronto and we'd be able to get Mexican food. Not only that, but we'd get rid of that dreary national anthem.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:54 pm
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

He's winding you up about the US, everyone knows that would be the biggest mistake ever made, well everyone knows apart from the US of course.

I would change the following:

Remove that stupid "Just cause" statement from an employer so that they can't just sack you for absolutely no reason.

Put lights and/or cats eyes on the damn highway. Seriously what the hell is up with that?

Teach the canadians about road signs, directions around calgary are terrible.

Make them put the three, two, one signs before a junction so you don't have to give yourself whiplash at night when you realise "Oh, the turnoff was back there" (lights/cats eyes anyone?)

stop being charged when someone calls me on my mobile phone (THEY ARE CALLING ME FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, WHY AM I PAYING TOO?)

Definately incorporate tax in the bill, you have to pay it anyway, no-body doesn't pay it even if you get it paid back you still pay it, just include a breakdown on the reciept, it's not rocket science.

Thats me for now
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Make the driving test much much harder...
I would add to that...

young drivers should have at least a year of the restricted plates. I remember in Northern Ireland the young drivers would have to display The 'R' plate in the rear window for the first year.

Make sure that the person taking the test is actually going to be the driver. Maybe a blood test or something. Too many illigal drivers on the road as they get others the take the test for them cos they look alike! I have heard of this.

Sorry to say it but maybe a retest or some of the elderly on the roads.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
we'd get rid of that dreary national anthem.
Amen, but at least its singable and doesnt cover two octaves or whatever the star spangled banner does! God, that tune is a nightmare to sing for a good singer, nevermind for a celeb at the superbowl!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't see that, it would be save a lot of bother when going to the factory outlet mall, aged Canadians wouldn't have to keep running back from Florida to maintain their OHIP eligibility and, with any luck, some Latinos would move to Toronto and we'd be able to get Mexican food. Not only that, but we'd get rid of that dreary national anthem.
I would only like to say that i like the idea of the border as it keeps Canada a little safer.
I dread to think what could happen if the flood gates were open. We have enough trouble with guns entering elligly now!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I'd launch a campaign to repeal laws. Canada in general and Ontario in particular has far too many laws. Some laws we don't need :

- endangered species in cities, there should be a bounty on raccoons not protection for them

- liquor control, there should be President's Choice scotch

- bicycle helmets, it's the rider's head

- Canadian radio and TV content, who would invent a requirement to hear Celine Dion !?

- smoke bans, building owners should choose

A general policy that the statute book is full would help, the passage of each new law would require the repeal of some existing one.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by joeboy_UK
He's winding you up about the US, everyone knows that would be the biggest mistake ever made.
Try telling that to the 40% of canadians about to vote for Harper!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.