Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is the worst part of the immigration process for you?

What is the worst part of the immigration process for you?

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:00 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is the worst part of the immigration process for you?

The worst part for me has to be the waiting. This is made worse by hubby having interest from a company in Ontario and having a job subject to contract. They keep being beaten to these contracts so for over a year now not only have we had our PR application on-going but also the "threat" of a temporary work permit.
Our families are both very supportive luckily, in fact my dad can't wait for me to go to get a cheap holiday!! He has always wanted to visit Canada and me moving will be his chance.
I also hate not being able to plan too far ahead for the fear that you may not be able to carry through with the plan. Currently have a trip to New York planned with my younger sis to New York at the end of May. Looking like it will go ahead now, but am not looking forward to telling her it may have to be cancelled due to an interview or the work permit has materialised. She is already counting down the days til we go
We are basically ready for the off. I have downgraded my car to save money but don't want to be driving it for much longer (my Toyota Matrix is calling) we know who we want to manage our house whilest we rent it out, we having been thinning our stuff and mentally we basically live in Canada already. We are going through the motions here, just hope it doesn;t start to reflect in our work.
Good luck to everyone reading this whatever part of the process you are in. Try to stay sane Tanya
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Since October 2003 we have been kept dangling from a thread not knowing what is happening to our lives...For me the worst part of this process is being decietful to my employer as to my intentions and how far I am down the line.

I have found this to be particularly hard as I don't want to be viewed differently by my employer or worse still face redundancy(Sack) because I wish to move some where else. I have hated saying "yes I'll be here in september to do that" etc.
It is hard but I would say if the employer ever got into financial difficulty your P45 would be in your hand before you could 'loyalty'!

My work kinda found out when other nurses went on this site and I use my proper name, DOH! And I haven't even decided for definate!

By the way can you change your ID without reapplying?
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by Voyager970
As we are going ahead with this it would be crazy to get into any more financial matters involving cars.
You lucky thing.

After 6 months of chopping and changing cars and around £15,000 down we decide to try and go to Canada. Oh great. Could I not have know earlier please.

Is there not some divineing god. Oy Vay.

If I were a rich man ....digga digga diiga de, all day long ...... etc etc
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by owen
It is hard but I would say if the employer ever got into financial difficulty your P45 would be in your hand before you could 'loyalty'
Been there too many times both as employer, employee, and supplier and client. No one has loyalty to anyone when money is involved. Even or especially family! You do what you need to as they (whoever) will to you without a blink of an eye! Its your life not theirs.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:37 am
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

As an edition to what Tanya has posted, my boss is fully aware of our plans and totally understands I could go into work one day and quit. I have been told by him that I will not have to give them the usual months notice, but as I do shift work the annual leave I should have left will probably cover around two weeks anyway

So heres to the day when I can go in, hand in my notice, say farewell to Network Rail and hello to Canada wherever that maybe.

Steve
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:28 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Smile Re: What is the worst part of the immigration process for you?

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
At the moment, I'm doing a course through the BCOU (BC Open University - http://www.bcou.ca/ ) while living in the UK. The course is web based and from an accredited Canadian university. It's not the best uni in Canada but it's an option that works for me at the moment.

I think anyone considering Canadian distance or online university education from a university should make sure it is an accredited Canadian university, otherwise you might be wasting a lot of money.

Hopefully helpful links:
http://www.aucc.ca/can_uni/our_unive...s/index_e.html
http://www.distanceedcanada.ca/index.cfm
http://www.cvu-uvc.ca/english.html

Cheers for that, 'Peas'. Hope your course gives you everything that you wish for. May be signing up myself someday, if I can figure out how these non-lick stamps work!!